Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-23-2005, 7:09 PM

I can't tell you when the registration requirement bagan. The full capacity magazine ban was passed in 1999 and enacted Jan 01,2000.
Old 06-24-2005, 5:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Librarian, thanks!

I reedited/updated my post with your add'l information...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-24-2005, 3:59 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

More 'minor' dates:

from 2003's SB489 -

1 January 2006 - pistols added to the 'safe' handgun list must have EITHER a loaded-chanber indicator OR a magazine disconnect.

1 January 2007 - pistols added to the 'safe' list must have BOTH a loaded-chanber indicator AND a magazine disconnect.

---

1 April 1994 - handgun purchasers must have a Basic Firearms Safety Certificate

1 January 2003 - the BFSC is replaced by the 5-year renewable Handgun Safety Certificate (SB 52, 2001)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-23-2005, 6:51 PM

When wast the law passed that you had to register your handguns if you moved to Kali from another state? Also, when was the hi-cap ban passed?

Thanks,
JA
Old 06-23-2005, 9:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jake...

(A couple edit/updates courtesy of Librarian's info...)

Key California gun dates are: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>1 Jan 1990 - Roberti-Roos Assault Weapon Control Act of 1989 becomes active. Can no longer acquire/transfer in state, etc. some 50-plus different specifically-named so-called assault weapons. Have 1 year (to 12/31/90) to specially register AWs with Cal DOJ.

<LI>1 Jan 1991 - just about all regular gun sales & transfers in CA must be 'papered' thru a CA FFL dealer with accompanying 10 day waiting period, etc. (If you were a CA resident on/after this date and have a gun mfgd after this date but don't have any paperwork w/state showing this, this is a no-no. But easier to prove for handguns than rifles since rifle data supposedly not retained in Sacramento.)

<LI>1 Apr 1994 - Most handgun purchasers (except for special exempt parties) must have a Basic Firearms Safety Certificate, "BFSC".

<LI>1 Jan 1998 - on/after this date, anyone moving into California with handguns is considered a "Personal Handgun Importer" and has 60 days in which he must file registration paperwork with Cal DOJ. This essentially "DROSes" these 'imported' handguns. This does not apply to rifles.

<LI>1 Jan 2000 - "SB23" enhances Roberti-Roos AW laws. On/after this date, no Californian can trade, acquire, etc. any hi-cap magazine(s), nor any 'by feature' assault weapon(s). Any hi-cap mags legally possessed before this date are allowed to be kept (and can move in/out of state with owner while travelling to/from California.)

<LI>31 Dec 2000 - last date to register most assault weapons w/DOJ in California due to SB23. [This does not include AWs originally required to be reg'd by orig Roberti-Roos law.]
AR/AK-series weapons can be reg'd up to 23 Jan 2001.

<LI>1 Jan 2001 - "safe" vs. "unsafe" handgun differentiation begins, along with "The List" of approved handguns. CA FFL dealers cannot sell 'unsafe' handguns to anyone in CA except via 'consignment'/face-to-face private party transfer ("F2F PPT").

<LI>23 Jan 2001 - last day to register AR15 and AK series (only) AWs in CA due to August 2000 Kasler decision.

<LI>1 Jan 2003 - The BFSC (Basic Firearms Safety Certificate) is replaced by the 5-year renewable "HSC", or Handgun Safety Certificate (SB52, 2001).

<LI>31 Dec 2004 - last date to legally acquire 50BMG rifles in CA. (I think DROS can just be started by this date...)

<LI>30 Apr 2006 - last date to register 50BMG rifles w/CA DOJ.

<LI>1 Jan 2006 - SB489 (2003) mandates that, from this date, pistols added to the DOJ-approved 'safe' handgun list must have EITHER a loaded-chamber indicator OR a magazine disconnect safety.

<LI>1 Jan 2007 - SB489 (2003) mandates that pistols added to the DOJ-approved 'safe' gun list must have BOTH a loaded-chanber indicator AND a magazine disconnect safety.
[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-24-2005, 2:19 PM

Thanks! This should be a sticky post.

JA