Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-04-2009, 3:17 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Default Sarah Palin Saturday Double-Header

As some have probably noticed, watching the media wear themselves out barking and snapping at the end of their chain at Sarah Palin has become a rather good spectator sport. Sometimes I play sportscaster here, for the amusement of those who enjoy the sport. Palin has become something of a morality play about the downfall of the Left, and that's good clean fun.

So it is today. We had a double-header last Saturday, one a simple demonstration of character and the other a morality play about political deftness and stupidity, but both breathtaking in their own way. The latter is particularly interesting, juxtaposed as it is beside one particular political folly of the Obama administration. Or, maybe that one is about character too. Maybe they're both connected. You, sportsfans, will have to decide.

Act I: The Anti-Gillibrand

The warm-up game is simply told: Sarah Palin gave a speech on Second Amendment Rights at a meeting of the Alaska Gun Collectors Association. The dinosaur media was quiet as a grave about this, which is interesting--why not take the opportunity to underline the talking point that she's a gun-nut extremist? I mean--*collecting*?

What kept them too busy to take a swipe at their favorite victim? We'll see in Act II. But this particular episode of the ongoing national morality play appears to be about character--simple honesty and loyalty. It's best seen as the opposite of Freshman senator Gillibrand, who seems to have been extra busy shedding her gun-rights connections as fast as Carolyn McCarthy can tell her to. Why not? If you have to run over the whole state of NY, which in practice means anti-gun fortress New York City, it's the sensible thing to do.

Except--some people, non-politicians to be sure, might think that dishonest. In any rate, Sarah Palin having chosen to step onto the national stage from the Frozen wastelands of the North, seems to be choosing the opposite. I'm sure any political consultant would have told her to moderate her views, but perhaps this is simply an example of good political instincts: she could never shed the image of a gun-nut, not in the face of a homicidally insane dinosaur media. The Health Care bill is struggling over the problem of trying to please too many at one time--perhaps there is political wisdom in "dancing with the one that brung ya." It is certain that she could never earn the trust of anti-gun voters, so why risk losing the gunnies for nothing?

Or, it might not be political instincts. It might be that other thing, that outdated idea from Classical Ethics that you should be willing to suffer the consequences of being right and not be ashamed of what you believe and where you came from. Either way, it fairly takes the breath away: a politician deliberately and unabashedly going to a gun-collector function, speaking on Second Amendment rights, and accepting an NRA award. It is so flagrant a violation of the political rule of avoiding controversy and giving offense to anyone that it almost looks like a deliberate invitation to the media to attack.

But it most assuredly means this: Sarah Palin is not going to run away from gunnies for political purposes--she appears to be the anti-Gillibrand. Now, she cannot be the most pro-gun politician in American history; that history includes presidents like Jefferson, who told us that the great object is that every man be armed, Grant, a president of the NRA, and Kennedy, who said we should strive to again be a nation of riflemen. It would hardly be possible to be more pro-gun than the founding generation. But at this point, Sarah Palin may be the most pro-gun politician alive. At any rate, one would have to go outside the main party structure to the likes of Ron Paul to find a serious competitor.

But returning to the other suggestion: why would she invite the media to attack her? Why wave the red flag? Well, I don't really think she did--it would be consistent with her behavior to simply do what she likes and disregard the opinions of detractors. I think that's the real Sarah Palin, and a breathtaking level of disregard she has, too. But that very disregard seems to be at the heart of the Left's terminal case of Palin Derangement. They are the Philosopher Kings. She does not give deference. In Plato's Republic, that is a fatal error. They aren't that far yet, but their hatred of her shows how far they're willing to go in the name of hate and injured pride.

More than one ethical tradition names Pride as a particularly effective path to destruction. The Western tradition receives it from both parents--it is Homozygous for it, you might say. The Hebrews told us that Pride goes before a Fall. The Greeks said that those the Gods would destroy they first made proud. And the apostles told their Greek converts that Pride was the Original Sin. So Pride doesn't play well in that tradition. This first act in Saturday's Palin Play illustrates the source of the wounded pride of the Left; a Little Person, worse an *uneducated* person (which has nothing to do with knowledge and everything to do with ideological certification) refuses to genuflect, and so spectacularly that the Philosopher Kings must crush her not as an opponent, but as a traitor who commits lese majeste. Not for practical reasons, but furiously, incoherently. And, perhaps in the terror that makes men lash out at shadows.

That bring us to Act II, on the theme of Pride and Fall. We'll talk about that after a short intermission for refreshments.

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 08-04-2009, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

What would the world be like if politicians were REAL people? She's obviously a REAL person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 08-04-2009, 5:13 PM

Why would she speak to a group of 130 (their count so usually lower) instead of starring at the August 8th lunch at the Reagan Library that had been expecting her? I don't care for Palin, but this is an honest question. Was this a good move?

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 08-04-2009, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

The feature game was a bit different; the blogosphere went looking for a lamb and got torn to shreds by a lion. And we can learn a few things by how that happened.

The anti-Palin bloggers seem to have felt a distinct lack of Palin news, and perhaps despairing for a reason to get out of bed in the morning decided to just make some up. OK, well, outright lying is a normal day in the blogosphere, but you'd think they'd have learned back when they lied about the parentage of her baby and all the rest. However, you'd be wrong. Rational people learn from experience, and on the subject of Sarah Palin they are not only not rational, they are stark-staring mad. So like moths to a candle, they returned to her family life, which seems to exercise an unholy power over them. The lie this time was that she and Todd were breaking up.

What's the origin of this dark obsession with family life, so strong that it makes them lack even the human decency that prompted Barak Obama to say that family is off-limits? I think it lies in the sexual mythology of the left. There are many influences there, of course, some contradictory. A powerful one is the Radical Feminist theory that all sex is an exploitative exercise of power over another. There are few traditionalists as prudish as a certain kind of Feminist, as Camille Paglia is not shy to point out. A more popular variant is that it is any vestige of traditional marriage that is exploitative. This is nearly universal; repeated over and over again until it is not even a conscious meme is that the Right has cold, passionless, sterile relationships.

Now, the problem with Sarah Palin is that she threatens that idea; pretty much nobody believes she's one of the asexual women the left has so often put up for election. Worse is the dirty little secret that most of the left's iconic women got where they are because of a man (Hillary is a public figure because of Bill, and the list is astonishingly long from there), while Sarah Palin is genuinely, unquestionably self-made; Todd Palin is not a politician and leans toward the Alaska independence party.

So the other meme is invoked, one that comes from a bizzarely Leftist version of the Victorian woman: a female Conservative who isn't frigid is a slut. This is the constant theme running throughout all of the unseemly coverage of Palin's family. But you might have thought it might them from walking into the trap that the Divorce Lie led them into.

Perhaps the problem is that the left's theory about asexual marriages is in fact true in their experience? Bill Clinton, at least, might agree. And so, somehow, they didn't anticipate the political masterstroke that came when someone finally ran down an apparently bemused Sarah Palin and asked her about the whole thing. Perhaps it's because they'd spent so much time lying about the Palins that they drank their own kool-aid. Or, perhaps it's because we don't ever seem to see public figures who really appear to like their spouses. Perhaps they expected yet another of those polite, ham-fisted denials that never, ever work. Perhaps they expected that they could keep this game going for weeks, enjoying the ever-more-strident and ever-less-believable public denials. Instead, what they got their heads handed to them on a platter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Palin
Divorce Todd? Have you seen Todd? I may be just a renegade hockey mom, but I'm not blind!
That may be the most brilliant line we'll see for a long time. Denials never work; we've seen that time and time again that "I love my wife/husband" does nothing to stop the rumors. So what she said was different, something we simply have not heard from a politician and above all a female politician: she said, in essence, "I think my husband is hot."

And that brings us to one of the most interesting, politically incendary things about Sarah Palin: she likes men. Thanks to the Cultural Revolutionaries of the left, we now have a culture that hates men. Television is drowning in the dual image of men as either castrated or evil. Sarah Palin threatens that image, above all because she seems to genuinely like men as men. Being the husband of the governor is almost certain to be the most castrating job in Alaska--unless you happen to be a multiple Iron Dog champion and fishing-boat skipper. At that point, you can wear a unitard and still be manly. And that, it seems, is the kind of man Sarah Palin likes.

Name me *one* woman on the left happily, unapologetically married to a similar man.

I've said before that this is another aspect of Sarah Palin that is endlessly threatening to the left. It isn't primarily women that she attracts--its men. And not because of the left's smear that she looks like a "slutty flight attendent," a sexist pig attitude that they've spread as far as they can. It's because she likes them and doesn't tell them they should be castrated for the good of society.

My guess is that, push come to shove, quite a few of them would die for her. Nothing threatens the left as much as a woman who commands respect because she gives it. If that sort of thing became common, the left would have no gender-theory left. And that's my guess as to why they'll never be able to avoid walking into that kind of trap; because they simply can't imagine what a strong, self-made woman who likes men and chooses to surround herself with them and their environment instead of blaming them for her own shortcomings would think like.

They're right to fear her like the devil. Even moderate and left-leaning men tend to appreciate not being blamed for everything. She has to be stopped and neutralized lest too many of them start to like being treated like men instead of half-domesticated animals. They might enjoy an environment without hate.

And that's the bases-loaded home run that ended Saturday's double-header. Until next time, your humble sportscaster remains....

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.
Old 08-04-2009, 5:46 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Political consultants are money sucking leeches.

For once we have someone on the national stage willing to be themselves.

She has my full support

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 08-04-2009, 7:01 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She has to be stopped and neutralized lest too many of them start to like being treated like men instead of half-domesticated animals.
Yeah, I know that annoys me. And I'll respect anybody who doesn't treat me like that.

I think part of the problem the left has with Palin is that she's right on this particular point. Deep down inside, even if they deny it (which some do), women really do like their men to be manly (this is not crass and rude, as it's been made out to be) and not some feminized wimp.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 08-04-2009, 7:30 PM
Intergalactic Member

She seems to me one of the very few honest and genuine in politics. I think that part REALLY upsets the uber-lefties.

I say; You Go Girl!

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 08-04-2009, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
She seems to me one of the very few honest and genuine in politics. I think that part REALLY upsets the uber-lefties.

I say; You Go Girl!
Or it could be that she lies to her own campaign: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuck..._b_225149.html

and is generally not a very good politician.

This mail is sent by Windows 7 with Live Mesh POWERED.
Not yet experience bing? Goto bing for making your SMART DECISION !
Not yet Mesh ? Get Mesh for Synchronizing your life NOW ! Not yet Azure ? Get Azure for Preparing yourself IN FUTURE !
Old 08-04-2009, 9:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksei Vasiliev View Post
Or it could be that she lies to her own campaign: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/akmuck..._b_225149.html

Says the rainbow opposition................
Old 08-04-2009, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Yeah, and if you disagree I'll throw Skittles at you.

This mail is sent by Windows 7 with Live Mesh POWERED.
Not yet experience bing? Goto bing for making your SMART DECISION !
Not yet Mesh ? Get Mesh for Synchronizing your life NOW ! Not yet Azure ? Get Azure for Preparing yourself IN FUTURE !
Old 08-04-2009, 9:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Your right, she is not corrupt enough to be a "good politician" and
she still believes in the Constitution, so she must be destroyed at all cost.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists
Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.
The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:
These trolls are some truly difficult people.
It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 08-04-2009, 9:28 PM

as a man who is not very manly, I take deep offense to this post.
Old 08-04-2009, 9:44 PM

I would have liked her better had she not ditched her job half way through. If she cannot handle the scrutiny now how in the heck is she going to do so in higher office. I wonder would she bail on job of president too?
Old 08-04-2009, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Highly entertaining, and insightful, 7X57. Now, how to lay that at the feet of all the anti-Palinistas. Ann Coulter? No, She's too much like Palin. and hated for it. It's got to be a woman, though. Even 'NOW' has jumped to her defense more than once, casting doubt on any conventional wisdom around snowflakes in the bad place . . .

Last edited by Maestro Pistolero; 08-04-2009 at 11:31 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 9:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

Huffington Post? I don't have to read the freaking article to know they are going to trash her. Give me something at least neutral to read.

Last edited by Roadrunner; 08-04-2009 at 10:02 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaGWolf View Post
I would have liked her better had she not ditched her job half way through. If she cannot handle the scrutiny now how in the heck is she going to do so in higher office. I wonder would she bail on job of president too?
Ah, yes, the favorite self-fulfilled prophecy of the Palin-hating left these days. They did a good job of creating the problem and then blaming her.

It's pretty clear why she resigned. First, because her pathological haters were filing spurious complaint after spurious complaint, and it took plenty of time and money just to go back every time and point out that they were baseless. Basically, the left shut down part of Alaska's government, because that was more important to them. Her Lt. Governor agrees with her policies and can carry them out. Government in Alaska is going to work smoother without some invented complaint every week or so.

Second, it's clear that her personal instinct is to hit back when attacked, and she couldn't really do that as the Alaska governor. I think one day she decided if she was going to be forever under fire, she was going to fire back a lot more energetically. Resigning gives her the time to do that just as it gives the new AK governor more time to actually do government. The big question is what, but I suspect the short-term answer is energize the base and campaign for 2010 candidates she likes. She may or may not be electable to national office, but she has the potential to be the most effective leader of the grass-roots Conservative troops alive.

The great irony is that that ability was *enhanced* by the left--attacking her family and private life in the most immoral and obscene fashion of any politician in modern times seemed to create more sympathy than anything than anyone on the right could possibly have done. Remember I said her greatest strength is actually with Conservative men? It's the same rough-and-ready gallantry effect that made immediate lynching the sure penalty for hurting a woman in the Old West.

The second irony is that it looks rather like she's going to spend a lot more time *using* that influence because the left made governing Alaska almost impossible. I will be quite happy if we can reclaim a lot of seats in 2010 more or less precisely because the left gave her the time and determination to do that instead of governing Alaska.

On a side note, it this point it frankly wouldn't surprise me if she or her family are physically attacked--that is certainly what the blogosphere is inciting. They may get it. It is quite clear that they are capable of inciting murder. So this little hobby of watching them dive-bomb the candle flame like helpless moths is not certain to simply stay fun and games.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Puh-leeze. Citing the Huffington Post on Sarah Palin is like citing the Janjaweed militia on ethnic sensitivity.

Quote:
Heh. This is where I pat you on the head to reassure you that all your illusions are still intact, isn't it? Go back to bed. The big bad bogey-woman is far, far away. Your vice president isn't really the biggest disaster in office since the inbred monarchy. Obama will too do something he promised, real soon now.

Feel better?

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Yeah, I know that annoys me. And I'll respect anybody who doesn't treat me like that.

I think part of the problem the left has with Palin is that she's right on this particular point. Deep down inside, even if they deny it (which some do), women really do like their men to be manly (this is not crass and rude, as it's been made out to be) and not some feminized wimp.
The problem with Palin is not the left but the cuddling right. How can anyone quitting his/her elected office 1 1/2 year before the end of term and then goes on a speaking tour be a good thing? Isn't that exactly the type of behavior the conservatives dislike. Someone who think they've outgrew their humble root and makes a move for prime time leaving the folks back home to clean up the mess.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
Someone who think they've outgrew their humble root and makes a move for prime time leaving the folks back home to clean up the mess.
Entirely backwards. Her record as a governor is just fine. The mess was created, start to finish, by the left. The gang-rape-by-proxy that started the day she was nominated didn't stop after the election--it just shifted to Alaska and was less visible here. Every ethics charge has been dismissed--but they just get filed and filed and filed. That mess wasn't going to stop, precisely because of the complete derangement of the left when her name is mentioned. She's just smart enough not to bother to say that.

In any case, there will be a lot less mess precisely because that venom, while always present (it's not a voluntary thing anymore, as the Sucker-punch Saturday shows), but it will not now be directed at the governor of Alaska. It's not fair to her, but it is fair to Alaska.

The real question is more how many times you want someone to let other people abuse them and their family before they decide that life isn't going to be business as usual.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Entirely backwards. Her record as a governor is just fine. The mess was created, start to finish, by the left. The gang-rape-by-proxy that started the day she was nominated didn't stop after the election--it just shifted to Alaska and was less visible here. Every ethics charge has been dismissed--but they just get filed and filed and filed. That mess wasn't going to stop, precisely because of the complete derangement of the left when her name is mentioned. She's just smart enough not to bother to say that.

In any case, there will be a lot less mess precisely because that venom, while always present (it's not a voluntary thing anymore, as the Sucker-punch Saturday shows), but it will not now be directed at the governor of Alaska. It's not fair to her, but it is fair to Alaska.

The real question is more how many times you want someone to let other people abuse them and their family before they decide that life isn't going to be business as usual.
You think the press will leave her or her children alone if she becomes the president? What will she do then? Quit again? If she can't take criticism and the political tribulation of being an Alaskan governor I don't think she can be a president. We don't need another talk-show cheerleaders making money by boosting their rating and dumbing down the GOP populace. . . . all of yelling and screaming about the pending force euthanization program. . . and Obama being of foreign borned. . .what happened to the GOP?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJW View Post
You think the press will leave her or her children alone if she becomes the president?
Who says she's running for president? The Dinosaur Media? The ones who have never, ever, ever been right about any subject related to her? I tried to make it clear that I think her immediate interest is in rallying and quite possibly re-shaping the Republican party and not the presidency. I'm not the Dinosaur Media, and I won't make much sense if you read what I write through their lens.

It's unclear she can win a national office--she's as polarizing as Hillary Clinton. She may try--but it's far from clear. Given that the Dinosaur Media thinks so, I should probably bet against it. For that matter, I don't think *she* knows what she wants to do by 2012. However, I think she shows both the signs and the interest to rally the base with an eye on 2010 and on how the Republican party reacts to loss.

The left should be *far* more afraid of that. She may or may not be viable as a candidate, but she can probably turn out more Republican voters than any other person in America. That's *especially* true in the historically Republican districts that went Democratic last year. If she chooses, that may matter tremendously in 2010. For that matter, the popular vote gap in 2008 was not large, and not much larger than the depressed Republican turnout.

And the Messiah was still infallible then.

Quote:
what happened to the GOP?
The question, as it always is after a party loses big, is what *will* happen to the GOP? Apparently your worst nightmare would be what she probably has the greatest chance of doing--having a hand in shaping what the Republican party is for some time to come.

But this thread was about sport, not her plans, and my enjoyment at the single most effective counter-punch to the media I recall seeing. In the end, the reason all this makes such a good sport is that she refuses to play by the script, and the left is so blind with hatred that they do bizarrely (and unethically) stupid things. Maybe it's more theatre than sport, but either way, it's magnificent entertainment.

7x57

Quote:
Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Who says she's running for president? The Dinosaur Media? The ones who have never, ever, ever been right about any subject related to her? I tried to make it clear that I think her immediate interest is in rallying and quite possibly re-shaping the Republican party and not the presidency. I'm not the Dinosaur Media, and I won't make much sense if you read what I write through their lens.

It's unclear she can win a national office--she's as polarizing as Hillary Clinton. She may try--but it's far from clear. Given that the Dinosaur Media thinks so, I should probably bet against it. For that matter, I don't think *she* knows what she wants to do by 2012. However, I think she shows both the signs and the interest to rally the base with an eye on 2010 and on how the Republican party reacts to loss.

The left should be *far* more afraid of that. She may or may not be viable as a candidate, but she can probably turn out more Republican voters than any other person in America. That's *especially* true in the historically Republican districts that went Democratic last year. If she chooses, that may matter tremendously in 2010. For that matter, the popular vote gap in 2008 was not large, and not much larger than the depressed Republican turnout.

And the Messiah was still infallible then.

The question, as it always is after a party loses big, is what *will* happen to the GOP? Apparently your worst nightmare would be what she probably has the greatest chance of doing--having a hand in shaping what the Republican party is for some time to come.

But this thread was about sport, not her plans, and my enjoyment at the single most effective counter-punch to the media I recall seeing. In the end, the reason all this makes such a good sport is that she refuses to play by the script, and the left is so blind with hatred that they do bizarrely (and unethically) stupid things. Maybe it's more theatre than sport, but either way, it's magnificent entertainment.

7x57
IMHO this is cray talk. She would invigorate the base GOP, provided the base GOP is about 10-20% of the country. Basically if she (somehow) had a significant hand in shaping the GOP the party would probably fracture and the 'blue dogs' would possibly form a coalition with the moderate GOP members in exodus. So maybe, unintentionally, she would be good for the GOP, as a sort of lightning rod to attract all the extreme right folks and get them out of the party, along with herself.
"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives. Only a small 'inside' group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

- Smedley D. Butler
Old 08-05-2009, 5:57 AM
In Memoriam

From what I understand she was being pounded by various corruption charges, not one which has panned out BTW.

However, unlike a lot of states, in Alaska she needs pay for her legal fees from her own finances. Apparently that's cost her north of $500k, so far. That's a pretty good reason to move on (npi).

Plus - where was the yelling when Hillary was ready to leave her senate seat for a shot at the oval office? Or why no uproar that Obama quit his term? That they were moving up to another government position doesn't make it all right. In my book that's almost worse. Where is it written that the highest calling must be a higher public office? Frankly I admire far more individuals who aren't in office than ones who are.

A few months ago I attended a media panel where the discussion was supposed to be about how the internet effected the elections. Actually it turned out to be a forum for the 5 or 6 panelists to pimp their resumes.

However like good little propagandists all but one managed to get in a few shots at Palin. Keep in mind these were self proclaimed "documentarians"- illuminators of the truth [/sarcasm]. Their convoluted logic to justify their bias and outright hatred for Palin was simply astounding! Especially considering this was months after their guy won, talk about sore winner (maybe that should be "sore whiners"). Their overt disgust was palpable and near pathological.

Finally one of the panelists - Elan Frank - told of his Palin encounter.

He was producing a documentary about strong women leaders. Early 2008 found him shooting in Alaska. A planned short interview with Palin turned into a multi day shoot when he was allowed to follow her around.

Now Elan is an ex-Israeli helicopter pilot and decorated war hero. He's also trained other helicopter combat pilots. When he says he knows a thing or two about bravery, strength, and intelligence in high stress situations - you believe him.

He stated that Palin is one of the sharpest leaders he's ever met. Here are a few of his thoughts on Palin. Note that this was written pre-election. Clearly some of events that transpired since then may make one question his analysis. But personally I wouldn't discount his take on Palin yet.

The press, even some right leaning press (all 3 of them), have savagely attacked her like no other public figure in years. PsuedoFeminists, sportscasters, news anchors, cartoonists, any faux journalists with a pencil or internet access, even dial-up, have piled on. It's amazing Palins own family didn't burn her at the stake if they had read just 1/100 of the Palin press coverage.

But just like people are finally begin to realize who the true Obama is - so also will the true Palin begin to reveal.

I'm no psychologist, but I think the root of much animosity is her son Trig. In a world of relative morality, opting to not abort her son must cause more than a small amount of angst and discomfort, or at least questioning, in the free choice side of the tent. But that's just speculation.

Last edited by FastFinger; 08-05-2009 at 6:05 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 6:16 AM
C3 Leader

She has my full support

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Old 08-05-2009, 7:54 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Great analysis, 7x57.

So what happened during McCain's campaign? Specifically, Palin's dismal TV interviews. There is no denying that she fell flat on her face in the Gibson and Couric interviews. Was it lack of experience coupled with bad interview coaching?

-Jason
Old 08-05-2009, 8:13 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
Great analysis, 7x57.

So what happened during McCain's campaign? Specifically, Palin's dismal TV interviews. There is no denying that she fell flat on her face in the Gibson and Couric interviews. Was it lack of experience coupled with bad interview coaching?

-Jason
Bad coaching - bad strategy - inexperience - and, most importantly, "journalists" with an agenda.

Remember, around the same time we had Obama talking about "57 states"? Also when he slipped and spoke about his Muslim faith, George Stephanopoulos moved so fast almost broke his neck trying to correct Obama.

Couric and the rest of them went after Palin with a single goal in mind - to damage her image. And they succeeded.
Old 08-05-2009, 8:23 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Great analysis, 7x57.

-Jason
Or just the fact that she's not very bright.

Her entire appeal seems to be that she's attractive and she says all the cliches and the platitudes that the right loves to hear. She treats the military and soldiers like they are deities (and frequently uses them as rhetorical shields). She demonizes liberals with this jokey folksy attitude. She demonizes the press. She talks about abstinence-only education despite the fact that her daughter is the poster child of why abstinence-only education makes you stupid. Basically everything that the far right loves to hear.

That's why she has support from them. 7x57 can wax rhapsodic about it all he wants (great reading by the way, I had a good chuckle) but that's really the core of it.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.
Old 08-05-2009, 8:25 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Bad coaching - bad strategy - inexperience - and, most importantly, "journalists" with an agenda.

Remember, around the same time we had Obama talking about "57 states"? Also when he slipped and spoke about his Muslim faith, George Stephanopoulos moved so fast almost broke his neck trying to correct Obama.

Couric and the rest of them went after Palin with a single goal in mind - to damage her image. And they succeeded.

Dude, her comments stood on their own. If she looked stupid in those interviews it was because she was genuinely ignorant.

You can blame the press all you want, and I know it's a popular boogeyman for the right, but her own ignorance was what killed her in the end.
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 08-05-2009, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger

All of the above, plus genuine unreadiness, and lack of preparation. The McCain campaign under-managed her first foray into the national spotlight. She needed media boot camp, so all vetting and missteps wouldn't occur while cameras were rolling. Biden and even Obama said some of the dumbest things, but their media bedfellows saw it as their duty to see that THAT footage made it to the proverbial cutting room floor, rather than the nightly news. Charlie and Katie's coverage can only be classified as predatory.
Old 08-05-2009, 9:17 AM
CalGuns Minister of Truth
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Don't be a hater.
Old 08-05-2009, 9:25 AM
In Memoriam

Dude:

Having worked for over 25 years in TV news and news editing suites, from top 5 to nets, I think I know a thing or two of what happens. I could make anyone look like a babbling fool - or like a savior. A clip here, a pause there - child's play.

She said some dumb stuff - so would you over the course of two days of loaded questions. So did Obama. What eventually is broadcast is the image the editor wants to be seen - it's no more complicated than that.

Also, by August last year Obama had been practicing for almost a year already. Check out any of his earlier tapes - the man seemed retarded at times - still does without Mr. TelePrompter feeding him pre-written lies -- err lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
Dude, her comments stood on their own. If she looked stupid in those interviews it was because she was genuinely ignorant.

You can blame the press all you want, and I know it's a popular boogeyman for the right, but her own ignorance was what killed her in the end.
Old 08-05-2009, 9:26 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer View Post

Great trigger discipline there.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 08-05-2009, 9:31 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Dude:

Having worked for over 25 years in TV news and news editing suites, from top 5 to nets, I think I know a thing or two of what happens. I could make anyone look like a babbling fool - or like a savior. A clip here, a pause there - child's play.

She said some dumb stuff - so would you over the course of two days of loaded questions. So did Obama. What eventually is broadcast is the image the editor wants to be seen - it's no more complicated than that.

Also, by August last year Obama had been practicing for almost a year already. Check out any of his earlier tapes - the man seemed retarded at times - still does without Mr. TelePrompter feeding him pre-written lies -- err lines.

That's such a vague view of things though. With that kind of mindset, ANYONE can view ANYTHING the way they want to see it.

That ideological mindset is simply designed so that you can take anything you don't like from the news, and chalk it up to some devious editor. Problem solved, no need to actually look at what the person said.

With Palin, there was no crazy editing going on, she was asked questions, and answered them with frighteningly incorrect answers. Saying stuff like she didn't even know what the VP does.

You can blame the evil liberal media all you want, but it's simply not to blame here. She's just not someone who is capable of holding any office in this country. Heck, she quit her first term as governor.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 08-05-2009, 9:54 AM
C3 Leader

She has my full Support

Vick

Old 08-05-2009, 9:56 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but didn't Bill-O interview both Obama and Clinton during the election. I think that we would all classify Bill-O as hostile to both candidates and they were both pre-taped interviews on a conservative network. Both the interviews went reasonably well with O'Reailly not standing much of a chance with either of them. Then we look to the other side. Palin was made to look foolish by Katie Couric? Come on. That's like having Bill Clinton made to look foolish by Elizabeth Hasselbeck. It's just not going to happen. If Palin couldn't handle the perky blond at CBS, she wouldn't last very long at the Capitol Building, much less on Pennsylvania Ave. For those who bemoan the media treatment of Palin, I'd suggest you look back to the late 90's where cable networks were invented to attack Clinton. There are radio and TV host who no one would of heard of today if they didn't have slick Willie to attack back then (half of the FNC lineup). Attacking politicans is a long and storied tradition in American history (see Bush for the most recent examples), so I fail to understand why so many would be offended when Palin got the same treatment. I suppose the same people were also offended when Dan Quayle gave an equally pathetic performance and was subsequently hung out to dry.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booshanky View Post
That's such a vague view of things though. With that kind of mindset, ANYONE can view ANYTHING the way they want to see it.

That ideological mindset is simply designed so that you can take anything you don't like from the news, and chalk it up to some devious editor. Problem solved, no need to actually look at what the person said.

With Palin, there was no crazy editing going on, she was asked questions, and answered them with frighteningly incorrect answers. Saying stuff like she didn't even know what the VP does.

You can blame the evil liberal media all you want, but it's simply not to blame here. She's just not someone who is capable of holding any office in this country. Heck, she quit her first term as governor.

I'm sorry Boo, if you think anything spit out by the MSM can be taken at face value you seriously need to look in to getting a porthole-ectomy.

You keep talking about how "not bright" Palin is but "The One" has had as many if not more flubs. Every time his teleprompter fails he sounds worse than GWB. And lately he seems to have a severe case of Foot-in-Mouth disease. His approval ratings are about what Carters were at the end of his first year and he just barely passed the 6 month mark. Sounds like someone else is the "not bright" one.

Jer
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Objectively speaking, if Palin's a total idiot then how did she get elected governor of Alaska? Are we trying to say that Alaskan voters are also total idiots? I don't buy that at all. What I do buy is that Palin was smart enough to figure out what Alaskans wanted most in a governor, and apparently stuck to her campaign promises. Grudgingly or not, she deserves respect for doing what most politicians do not.

If her comments stand on their own, then should her accomplishments stand on their own as well? President Obama went from nothing (relatively: freshman Senator) to top dog pretty quick (for a political career). So did Palin, although at the state level.

How do you balance her doing poorly in the Couric / Gibson interviews on the one hand, and going from mayor of a small Alaskan town to Governor on the other hand? Idiocy does not explain it.

Let's give credit where credit is due. I doubt Palin is an idiot, and is likely very intelligent. I doubt also that Obama is an idiot, and is likely very intelligent as well. Whether you agree with the policies of one or the other does not change that fact. In the 80's, people thought Reagan was an idiot (and many still do). Regardless of what he was, his policies contributed significantly to ending the Cold War.

I believe she did poorly in the interviews because she didn't properly prepare (or wasn't properly prepared, depending on where one wants to lay the blame). But remember, even intelligent people can fail a test if they don't study. The question is, did she pull the proper lessons from her mistakes?

-Jason

Last edited by Nodda Duma; 08-05-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyus View Post
IMHO this is cray talk. She would invigorate the base GOP, provided the base GOP is about 10-20% of the country. Basically if she (somehow) had a significant hand in shaping the GOP the party would probably fracture and the 'blue dogs' would possibly form a coalition with the moderate GOP members in exodus. So maybe, unintentionally, she would be good for the GOP, as a sort of lightning rod to attract all the extreme right folks and get them out of the party, along with herself.

That may be the best outcome with GOP loosing the far right and refocusing on fiscal conservatism.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys898 View Post
I'm sorry Boo, if you think anything spit out by the MSM can be taken at face value you seriously need to look in to getting a porthole-ectomy.
I just don't buy into the whole "Liberal media" line that conservatives have been pumping out for 30 years. I think there is a real problem with our media, but it's hardly that it's too liberal. Our media is owned and operated by corporations that have to sustain themselves through advertising. This fact leads them to not question some of the serious problems our country faces due to the corporate structure, as well as the simple fact that it leads to a natural intellectual decline in the content of the new so that it can have the broadest appeal. Which generally means that the news gets dumber.

That's the problem I have with the media. But I think that taking this knee-jerk reaction that any bad interview a conservative politician has can be chalked up to some conspiracy by a devious liberal editor is just absurd.

Quote:
You keep talking about how "not bright" Palin is but "The One" has had as many if not more flubs. Every time his teleprompter fails he sounds worse than GWB. And lately he seems to have a severe case of Foot-in-Mouth disease. His approval ratings are about what Carters were at the end of his first year and he just barely passed the 6 month mark. Sounds like someone else is the "not bright" one.

Jer

I still don't get this whole thing with Obama and Teleprompters. Do you honestly think that he's the only politician to ever use a teleprompter? Dude, Bush did it all the time and he still sounded awful.

My issue with palin isn't simply a few things she's said but her entire mental state in general. Her speech is filled with these cheap, meaningless platitudes that serve no purpose. She just throws out red meat to conservatives, like blaming liberals for everything, accusing the media of making stuff up, treating soldiers like they're gods, etc. And for good measure she throws in a bunch of sports metaphors to appeal to men or something.That's her entire substance. She has nothing important or intelligent to say about anything else, and any time she tries to make any decent point about anything is when she really starts to show how unintelligent she really is. Stuff like saying that the "department of law" would protect the president from ethics complaints, to claiming that the Vice President is "in charge of" the senate.

She chokes up when it comes to substance because she simply doesn't have any. She's just a pretty face who knows all the right buttons to push in order to garner votes from the far right base.

That's all good and well, but I as well as the vast majority of the American public thought that made her pretty incompatible with any national office.
-Barry Ritholtz

Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Let's give credit where credit is due. I doubt Palin is an idiot, and is likely very intelligent. I doubt also that Obama is an idiot, and is likely very intelligent as well. Whether you agree with the policies of one or the other does not change that fact. In the 80's, people thought Reagan was an idiot (and many still do). Regardless of what he was, his policies contributed significantly to ending the Cold War.

Nothing against Reagan but we keep saying we won the Cold War but is it really true? USSR collapsed and the world is many steps removed from MAD, but did democracy trump authoritarianism? Russia emerged leaner and meaner with Putin and his cronies slowly dismantling the democratic reforms. China is our biggest creditor and we have to practically beg them to continue to finance us to buy their products. Reagan and his predecessors may have won the Cold War for us, but his successors grew complacent and has allowed our Cold War enemies to turn capitalism into a weapon against us while we tears our country apart over trivial issues like abortions and gay marriages. Does Palin have the intelligence to recognize that while its fun to throw sands at each other, once in a while we have to stop and cooperatively build up this little sandbox we call the USA.