Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-02-2005, 6:52 PM

http://sacbee.com/state_wire/story/1...13840904c.html

SACRAMENTO (AP) - Dueling proposals to identify handgun bullets to help police solve shootings were approved by state lawmakers Thursday, despite concerns the requirements are impractical or would harm law-abiding citizens.

Ammunition manufacturers would be required to laser-cut each bullet with a serial number under the Senate bill, while the Assembly version requires guns to stamp identification numbers on bullet casings each time they are fired.

"With a simple magnifying glass (police) can read that identifying number ... and determine who purchased that ammunition," said Sen. Joseph Dunn, D-Garden Grove, who is carrying the Senate version. "This is a tremendous benefit for law enforcement."
The Senate sent the measure to the Assembly on a 21-14 vote, while the Assembly proposal by Assemblyman Paul Koretz, D-West Hollywood, passed 41-37 despite heavy opposition from gun groups. Both passed by one vote.

Ammunition manufacturers said that Dunn's bill will either force them to abandon the lucrative California market or force them to install unaffordable technology to mark the 8 billion bullets they make each year.

The bill would punish anyone possessing unmarked ammunition outside their home after July 2007, though Dunn said he is working with law enforcement to amend the bill so owners could use older bullets at firing ranges.

"A law abiding citizen has nothing to fear," said Sen. Jack Scott, D-Pasadena, comparing the markings to the use of fingerprints or DNA in crime solving.

Dunn's bill would require purchasers to pay up to a halfpenny per bullet to fund record-keeping by the state Department of Justice on every handgun-caliber bullet made or sold in California. Vendors would pay up to $50 a year to register. Rifle ammunition would be exempted, though some calibers are used in both handguns and long guns.

Opponents of Koretz's bill said criminals could file down the guns to remove the microstamping or use revolvers, which don't eject shell casings.

Assemblyman Todd Spitzer, R-Orange, said Koretz' bill would make it easier to frame someone by spreading cartridges around a crime scene that hadn't come from the shooter's gun.

"In some criminal prosecutions, the only evidence linking a defendant to that murder is shell casings, nothing more," Spitzer said.

Koretz said much of the opponents' arguments were "dead wrong," including the claim that someone would be able to file off the microstamping.

"This will work almost perfectly," Koretz said. "Every casing will have a number that's tied to a database."
Old 06-02-2005, 7:19 PM

Sigh...............only in the PRK......
Old 06-02-2005, 7:24 PM

Thats a peice of **** waste of time bill!
Most of us are going to be destroyed in the pockets books now since we will not be able to buy surplus after 07!
Old 06-02-2005, 7:56 PM

.preaching to choir on
I'm sure everyone who would commit gun-crimes in CA will rush out and buy serialized bullets/casings and use them in crimes... CA has some amazing lawmakers... if this becomes law, it'll be another feather in the dunce cap for their next campaign.

Just another antigunners' ploy, masquerading as crime control... with real intent being to tax and har***** ammunition manufacturers, retailers, and law abiding gun owners.

Other states should really take notice of this cause CA is the breeding ground for this cancer (e.g. CA AW Ban -> 1994 Crime Bill). What's next, banning cartridges used by "military" weapons?
.preaching to choir off
Old 06-02-2005, 8:13 PM

"The bill would punish anyone possessing unmarked ammunition outside their home after July 2007, though Dunn said he is working with law enforcement to amend the bill so owners could use older bullets at firing ranges."

so... as long as I keep it all inside my home, I'm ok?

Also, technically I don't "use bullets" ... I use cartridges.
If I get pulled over... are the cops going to be carrying bullet pullers & a microscope?
Old 06-02-2005, 8:17 PM

This passes - I'm moving.
Old 06-02-2005, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Everyone needs to take action if they haven't already. Folks let your reps hear from you. Make sure the governor knows we're hot about these bills.
Old 06-02-2005, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Contacting is key to getting this crap defeated.
Old 06-02-2005, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
Everyone needs to take action if they haven't already. Folks let your reps hear from you. Make sure the governor knows we're hot about these bills.
I've already wrote to both my ASsembly and senate reps. Maybe now it's time to bug Ahrnold?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trempel:
This passes - I'm moving.
Dude..take me with you. Any place has gotta be better than here.