Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-22-2005, 6:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm looking to buy in the next few months a rifle for the upcoming deer season. I'd normally think .308 or 30-06, but I'd like to get something I can shoot locally . In south OC that means an indoor range (primarily On-Target in Laguna Hills) since the rifle ranges are an hour+ drive on a weekend.

Any ideas for a rifle that would qualify for both Mule Deer and an indoor range?
How feasible would one of the .44 Magnum lever-action rifles be, or is there a better option? Or am I just SOL, trying to do too many things with one gun?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

John
Old 02-24-2005, 3:32 AM

I have very limited experience with indoor ranges. The two I went to did not allow magnums. Had to take those outdoors. Suggest talk to range first.
Old 02-24-2005, 9:28 AM
Janitors assistant

You will be hunting the great North American Mule deer a hearty animal indeed, they tend to be 100lbs or so larger than the black tails we shoot. I would go with a 30-06 or 8mm in milsurp. 308 is fine as well, a very efficient cartridge. The 243 is just a necked down 308 and is a faster round, I like 30 caliber or above for sheer knockdown capabilities. Others will argue that point to the end. I only have my experience to go by. A well plced 22 will kill most animals, I just like the power as a backup to my excitability under fire. I have been hunting since childhood and still get riled upon seeing game!
Old 02-24-2005, 2:03 AM
Janitors assistant

I feel it unfair to the animal to shoot it with an underpowered weapon. If you reload to near max, and have a strong actioned rifle or pistol the 44 is capable of killing most North American mammals within 60 yards. That includes Bear. The great Elmer Kieth even killed a polar bear with one in the early days of this round. I still feel it better to use a real hunting rifle for deer sized game. like Dully said you wont have to chase it far. I would recomend no less than a 30-30. If you realy want versatility buy a Thompson Contender and switch barrels, it sucks to only have one shot though. Dont ask me how I know. I use a 300 win mag or a 45-70 for cali-deer.
Old 02-23-2005, 6:42 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jmlivingston:
Hhmm. I like a semi-auto option, don't like loosing about 6 rounds. Something to consider though. I'm still concerned that a .44 Mag is enough gun for a Mulie though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, its enoough, but you will not have to track long with a 444Marlin or 450
Old 02-22-2005, 6:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I'm looking to buy in the next few months a rifle for the upcoming deer season. I'd normally think .308 or 30-06, but I'd like to get something I can shoot locally . In south OC that means an indoor range (primarily On-Target in Laguna Hills) since the rifle ranges are an hour+ drive on a weekend.

Any ideas for a rifle that would qualify for both Mule Deer and an indoor range?
How feasible would one of the .44 Magnum lever-action rifles be, or is there a better option? Or am I just SOL, trying to do too many things with one gun?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

John
Old 02-23-2005, 3:54 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Hhmm. I like a semi-auto option, don't like loosing about 6 rounds. Something to consider though. I'm still concerned that a .44 Mag is enough gun for a Mulie though.
Old 02-24-2005, 6:27 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Wheelgunner: At the range where I shoot, magnum's are no problem. They even rent the Desert Eagle in .44Magnum (when it's not out for maintenance, the guys say it's horrible about breaking).

Ivanimal/Dulljay: I understand your concerns and they're the same ones I have, which is why I wanted feedback on the .44Mag as a suitable rifle round for deer. As I'm not familier with the terrain of the area I'll be hunting in (northern Nevada somewhere around Battle Mountain, between Winnemuca and Elko) it would be wise to have something that can handle greather than 60yds or so. I'll look for another rifle, maybe I'll have to break down and just use one of my milsurps.

John
Old 02-22-2005, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

There's also the Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum semi-auto. It's got a 4 round mag (and no higher capacity ones available that I know of), so you'd have more backup with a lever gun, but 4 rounds is plenty for hunting.

max

NRA Life Member