Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 06-12-2005, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

This guy shows up at the gun shows sometimes with better prices than his website, and I like his racks pretty well. They're more expensive than the dishwasher-rack plastic ones, but they seemed well made and are attractive.

http://www.creightonent.com/pistol.html

I've thought about getting one for revolvers, but I like to keep semis in zipper pouches so spare mags, loaders, etc., stay with them and I can grab and go.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-12-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rwmagnus:
My only recomendation is get a large enough capacity because pistols are like rabits they multiply just as quickly!
That's sort of my current issue; too many rabbits and not enough space in their cage.

I dinged the wooden grips on a pistol I inherited from my dad while I played the latest round of jigsaw puzzle safe arrangement. That was the impetus for actually doing something about the problem.
Old 08-10-2005, 9:42 AM

I think a S&W 627 is in my near future. It's on my list for one of the next couple guns I buy, so I can shoot ICORE stuff. I'm just not looking forward to all the other stuff you need to buy for revolvers at this time.

The ammo is in there because I have the room right now and because it fits, well it used to. There's actually lots of other ammo on a shelf in that room. I need to get a locking cabinet to put my ammo in.
Old 06-19-2005, 4:44 PM

Another option, I just got the Hyskore 3-Gun Handgun Rack "closed cell foam" pistol racks from Midway and they work pretty well.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gobabygo:
I think a S&W 627 is in my near future.
That's an awesome gun and I love mine but if I were only going to buy one for action shooting games it would be a 625, 45ACP. A 4" get's you into everything, (ICORE; IDPA; IPSC), but IMO the 5" is the way to go. As far as gear goes moonclip holders are very cheap for the 625 as is RIMZ moonclips (no tools required) then get yourself a kydex holster (ebay)and lock & load! With a wheelie you'll become a better shot.

edit PS: Don't forget another pistoil rack for the wheelie!
USPSA
IDPA
Old 06-12-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maxicon:
This guy shows up at the gun shows sometimes with better prices than his website, and I like his racks pretty well. They're more expensive than the dishwasher-rack plastic ones, but they seemed well made and are attractive.

I've thought about getting one for revolvers, but I like to keep semis in zipper pouches so spare mags, loaders, etc., stay with them and I can grab and go.
This was what I had in mind (rightside up and simple).
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2005, 6:24 PM

Nothing fancy, just functional. Any suggestions?

TIA
Old 07-22-2005, 11:35 AM

I just ordered a couple of these from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=870529

When i get them i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2005, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyM:
You wouldn't like my safe then... I've got over 4,000 rounds of different ammo in mine.

Can't see putting it in the garage as i've read that major swings of temp aren't good for it. Been getting up to 110 in my garage in the days lately.

Guess I need an ammo-only safe now.
That's what they make ammo cans for. 110* isn't a problem for the ammo. Ammo cans seal out moisture prety good also. I rarely have more than 1000 rounds sitting around. I load up what I need then shoot it. I can't justify taking up safe space with ammo.

My comment was said jokingly, hey if you have the space use it!
USPSA
IDPA
Old 07-21-2005, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't used them, and haven't seen them at the gun show for probably a year or more now.

Felt can be made out of a variety of materials, from synthetics to animal fur, so there may be a surprise waiting there, based on JAFGO's comments.

The problems I'd worry about (as with any material) would be abrasion, moisture retention, and chemical reactions. Oiling the felt would likely help avoid the risk of moisture retention and chemical reactions, and abrasion would mostly be a problem if the guns were taken on and off a lot.

Still, it sounds a bit risky, like leaving a gun in a leather holster. Some leather cures can cause serious rusting and pitting over time.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 06-12-2005, 7:20 PM

Do a search on eBay for Handgun Rack they are always listed there. My only recomendation is get a large enough capacity because pistols are like rabits they multiply just as quickly!
USPSA
IDPA
Old 08-09-2005, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwmagnus:
I only see two problems in your photo. 1. Store the ammo in the garage and 2. You need some revolvers!!!
You wouldn't like my safe then... I've got over 4,000 rounds of different ammo in mine.

Can't see putting it in the garage as i've read that major swings of temp aren't good for it. Been getting up to 110 in my garage in the days lately.

Guess I need an ammo-only safe now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM

Ok, as promised:

Before:

Rack with guns:

After:

Overall I like it. It's not terribly expensive, and gives me what I wanted. Now that I look at the pictures, I think i'll move that top shelf down a notch.
Old 06-20-2005, 9:56 PM

I like the ones from Versatile @ http://www.versatilegunrack.com/

You can buy them cheaper from Brownell's than you can from the Versatile company, saving a few bucks. The racks are stout, well made, attractive and you can use them to hold most handguns upside down or rightside up. Even works well with the Contenders and J frames snubbies, but the itty bitty ones like the P32 are too small to sit in the cradle. I like storing handguns upside down as most of mine wear their original factory wood and any excess oil that might be present doesn't migrate to the grips and oil stain them over time as it can when storing upright.

I'd stay away from anything felt lined, as I had one from Vern Grazer of gun-racks.com and even though I never noticed any rust on the guns, over the years the contact points where blued steel barrels rested on the felt did show very light rust color and it wasn't from the gun lube being used.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:32 PM

That's a good point about the different materials used in felt. I'll ask that question of the manufacturer. I also agree it's not a great idea to store pistols in leather holsters. Leather retains moisture and or vapor which can rust a blued pistol. That said for short periods of time I have in fact done this in a safe without any problems.
USPSA
IDPA
Old 08-09-2005, 1:24 PM

Those are pretty nice. I need a rack for my knives also. My Randall's are worth more than most of the guns anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gobabygo:
Ok, as promised:

After:

Overall I like it. It's not terribly expensive, and gives me what I wanted. Now that I look at the pictures, I think i'll move that top shelf down a notch.
I only see two problems in your photo. 1. Store the ammo in the garage and 2. You need some revolvers!!!
USPSA
IDPA
Old 07-20-2005, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maxicon:

maxicon have you used the creightonent racks? I'm wondering about the felt used on the rack how it affects the blueing on the barells over time.
USPSA
IDPA
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM

gobabygo...those look like good racks not stylish but very protective and inexpensive.

maxicon...creightonent got back to me very quickly. I applaud their service. They said their felt is made out of polyester/acrylic and haven't had any problems or complaints.

I'm going to order two of their racks.
USPSA
IDPA