Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM

All Ruger rifles are priced way lower than other rifles. Why? Ruger sure sunk a lot more money in their tooling than either Savage or Remington. And I think its as good or better than Winchester.
Old 05-11-2005, 9:12 AM

Bill Ruger sold out to Diane Feinstien. He's dead now, so we each have to decide if we are going to hold a grudge. I probably will.

But we shouldn't bag on the investment casting of Ruger firearms. Investment casting is a great way to build a gun, and very strong too.

Roy
Old 04-07-2005, 4:16 PM

"All Ruger rifles are priced way lower than other rifles."

simple answer...
Ruger: 1949

Savage Arms: 1894
Winchester: 1866
Remington: 1816

These 3 have OVER 50 more years of name recognition behind them. Yes, people in the U.S. still have a thing for history and tradition. While Ruger has some great products and possibly better management... if you price a typical Ruger at the same price as one made by one of the others... the vast majority will probably go with tradition. It seems Ruger knows/knew this & thus the advancements in their technology over the others brings costs down therefore bringing prices down on the products they sell. It's the best way for them to make a buck & it works. Innovation.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, Ruger is the really only successful (over the long term) American firearms manufacturer.

Colt, S&W, Remington etc all have had their ups & downs and union troubles, financing difficulties, etc.

Ruger's got some pretty advanced manufacturing processes. Their leadership on quality, strong investment casting has really paid off in reducing mfgring costs.

Sometimes pricing not only reflects demand but just intellingent product positioning.

Guns like Ruger's P-series and their GP100s/SP101s certainly give S&W a run for the money in terms of durability, etc.

On the other hand, some corners are cut. A Mini 14 will never be an AR15

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 AM

Rugers are regarded poorly, not for there quality, which is quite good, but for there political/business practices. Ruger supported the federal AW ban, and if I remember correctly managed to get a clause in exluding the Mini 14 and Mini 30 from being affected by the ban. Essentially ruger supported the AW ban because they knew it would remove a large chunk of competitors from the market.

Do a quick google on ruger and the fed AW ban and you will find all the information you can handle on the subject.
Old 05-10-2005, 7:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony:
Ruger handguns (autos and revolvers).... tend to be over-engineered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please explain with examples. I have never heard this before.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pulsar:
Ruger supported the federal AW ban, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bastards!
Old 05-07-2005, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

...because of the reasons written above: Boat-anchor pistols (save the .22 autos), less-than-gracefully designed bolt actions with weird triggers, semi-auto rifles that never were that accurate (and within a few hundred bucks of an AR), overpriced o/u shotguns that don't mount or carry nearly as well as the Belgian/Japanese or Italian competition. Politics too, like it or not.

Some positives...the .22 auto pistols & their semi-auto 10-22; Ruger sixguns if you're cowboy inclined or just like single actions, a lot of gun at a very good price.

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 05-10-2005, 4:36 AM

Actually, the best thing you can do with a Mini-14 is to use it as a door stop. If it were a car it would be a Corvair, "unsafe at any speed".
Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM

All Ruger rifles are priced way lower than other rifles. Why? Ruger sure sunk a lot more money in their tooling than either Savage or Remington. And I think its as good or better than Winchester.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget. Bill Ruger also supports the ban on "high capacity" magazines. His belief was only police and the military need mags over 10 rounds.

Just look how difficult it is to buy a factory Mini 30 rounder. Ruger just won't sell them to "civilians".
Old 05-10-2005, 5:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50_Shooter:
Actually, the best thing you can do with a Mini-14 is to use it as a door stop. If it were a car it would be a Corvair, "unsafe at any speed". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...to each his own...

MW
Old 04-07-2005, 3:26 PM

I first got into guns in the early 90's, when CA still had "Free State" status more or less.

I once owned a Mini-14 Ranch Model Blued w/ scope(Don't remember which one, I bought it used), Butler Creek folding stock, pistol grip, Harris Bi-Pod, 30 round Factory Ruger Mag. It was the funnest rifle I shot, and I've shot plenty of AKs and ARs. I don't know about Tack-driver, but I bought cheap China saucers at the local Pic-n-Save(now Big Lots) and proceeded to obliterate them at 100+ yards. I regret selling that Mini-14 more than my Hungarian AK sporter(SM-85) and my Bushmaster AR lowers.
Old 05-12-2005, 6:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 11Z50:
Literally fill the case with H110 and compress the bullet into the case. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And was the headstamp still legible when all was said and done or did the density of the brass make a blackhole envious???

Wow!

(perhaps a, "Kids, don't try this at home" disclaimer is in order here)
Old 05-09-2005, 1:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Ruger handguns (autos and revolvers), while lacking the grace and sophisticated engineering feel of high-end German guns, are as durable as it gets and stone cold reliable. They tend to be over-engineered. Some may feel rather bricklike, but if you want a gun to last and last and continue working you can't do much better. Hogue grips can help. And some actually handle quite nicely. They are an excellent value.

Mini-14 seems to get a bum rap 'cause people compare it to the AR...which is clearly a superior rifle. However, that doesn't make the Mini-14 bad. I've never owned a Mini but know people who say they are reliable, don't need much lube to function, and are good for their designed role (minute of coyote).

Ruger bolt action rifles don't seem to be any less expensive than others. In fact, Ruger .17HMRs and whatnot actually seem to be more.

Ruger 10/22 is an excellent rifle. Sure, it won't win a benchrest competition out of the box, but it's inexpensive and a fun plinker. It is also one of the most customizable rifles in the world. It's easy to work on and great fun to do so.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Most ruger handguns are built like tanks and can take pressures well beyond what they are intended to shoot. We know that because gun writers have been saying it for years. I still would never shoot anything past max loads in any of my handguns.Remember the gun is only as good as its weakest link.

I love the mini 14 and all its quirks, I would go to it for reliability alone. They also are built like tanks. The only problem I have ever had was a broken firing pin after 10,000 or so rounds. I sent the rifle disassembled to Ruger and they sent it back fixed and reassembled at no charge. I own 2 of them and 1 mini 30, I will buy more as the good deals come my way.
Old 05-09-2005, 8:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mini-14 seems to get a bum rap 'cause people compare it to the AR...which is clearly a superior rifle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. That is what it appears..an opinion, not fact. The only real issue with the Mini 14 is the barrel, once solved, is a VERY good platform. As for mags?: I have 4 "factory" ruger 20 rounders and they are great. Accuracy...dead on....

MaceWindu
Old 04-08-2005, 8:30 AM

ruger also manufactures more cheaply with cast parts, and they are diversified as well. a lesson from HD.
Old 05-11-2005, 7:05 PM

Outside of my regrettable Mini-14 experiences, I dig on Rugers. Heck, I probably own a dozen or so. When I was a kid and started reloading, I experimented with a Classic .357 Blackhawk 6.5 inch. I have no idea how fast I got a Sierra 110 HP going, but I know it was screaming. Literally fill the case with H110 and compress the bullet into the case. This load would explode a ground squirrel or Jack Rabbit at 50 yards. For nostalgia's sake, I recently acquired a .357 Blackhawk and slapped a 1.5X scope on it. I duplicated the .357 loads of my youth and checked it out. Dang! 2100+ fps on my chrony! Waaaaay to hot for a normal .357 but no problem for the Blackhawk. Long and short of this is, I like Rugers. They are durable, sturdy, utilitarian and ultra reliable. A well-made piece of Americana.
Old 04-07-2005, 3:04 PM

You can read about Ruger's business model in textbooks. They've never financed anything, but always invested, in their tooling etc. This helps, as they have no debt servicing at all.

Probably most importantly, all of their stuff is designed to be easily manufactured. That simple point saves a lot in the long run.
Old 05-06-2005, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maxter:
All Ruger rifles are priced way lower than other rifles. Why? Ruger sure sunk a lot more money in their tooling than either Savage or Remington. And I think its as good or better than Winchester. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is alot cheaper to cut .010" off a casting than to cut .100" from a forging.
Old 04-08-2005, 8:58 AM

I dont know why their reputation is so bad, I have a P89 and I love it, its a nice pistol (IMO at least) for as much as I go shooting, its hard for me to justify spending lots of $$ on a pistol. Plus I realy dont like the feel of "plastic" guns like Glocks & HKs. I've shot the cheapiest / crapiest reloads I could find and I've never had a failure to feed or any other problem with it.
And 10/22s are great too.
Old 04-08-2005, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Well they should be concerned now cause the mini-14 is on the AW federal ban reauthorization.

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 05-12-2005, 5:55 PM

I love my Rugers.My P89 eats every flavor of ammo i've fed it(and I've fed it handloads from pretty anemic to fairly stout) and it never has failed to fire or eject.Accuracy is decent and repeatable. I also have a mini-30 and it is a great little rifle if your willing to spend a little time and extra resources to make accurate and my 10-22 is a fantastic little toy