Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-31-2005, 7:52 AM

In order that I might kick it old school, I'd like an M1A. The market for these seems to be largely Springfields or semi-custom makes such as Fulton Arms' models. I want something nice and naturally want this to be the "last" M1A I purchase - something philosophically along the lines of a Les Baer TRS 1911. What should I consider other than buying a Springfield locally, and if I buy something like a Fulton Arms M1A, from whom do I buy it? Is that pretty much going to be a transfer to some willing local FFL?
Old 03-31-2005, 5:34 PM

I had Fulton build my M14 with the War Rifles special serial numbered receiver. I got the 18" chrome bore barrel because if I didn’t I knew bwiese wouldn't respect me.
Had a Smith brake installed with all other USGI parts. Competition rifle I think they call it. About 2 months of waiting and SHAZZAM!
Purchased a Walnut USGI stock and I dropped it right in.
The SA M1A's are ok, but they do have issues. The number one PROBLEM with them is SA doesnt build the receivers to mil specs. So, if you plan on mounting a red-dot or scope you "may" need an adjustable mount. I say, “may” because some mil spec mounts fit and some don’t. I have an SA Socom and an ARMS 18 mount will not fit because the holes are off on the receiver
If you want your M14 custom and done right the first time go with Fulton. If you wanna roll the dice SA may be for you and they do have a lifetime warranty on their firearms.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:24 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy:
I want something nice and naturally want this to be the "last" M1A I purchase - something philosophically along the lines of a Les Baer TRS 1911. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LRBs have a great reputation, they are hammer forged and in line with your stated philosophy.

Take Care,

Tony
Old 03-31-2005, 3:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
If Springfield would build their 16" SOCOM with a chromed bbl I'd be filling out a 4473 as we speak...

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if you can you get the bbl chromed for a reasonable price? I'm really interested in one of these, but I have concerns about their reliability.
Old 03-31-2005, 8:38 AM
Senioritis
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Fulton Armory is a Great Choice - you buy them direct from Fulton and have it transferred to you FFL - Clint McKee makes one hell of a rifle. http://www.fulton-armory.com

Also check out LRB Arms they make the only USA Made hammer Forged receiver plus the wait time one getting a complete rifle is less talk to Lou, he's a great guy. http://www.lrbarms.com

You could also have Ted Brown or Tim Strait (War Bird) build up your bare receiver from the ground up, they are two of the best gas-gunsmiths in the country.

Either way you can't go wrong and you will be getting a far superior product to a Springfield Inc. M1A

-toolman9000
Old 03-31-2005, 7:52 AM

In order that I might kick it old school, I'd like an M1A. The market for these seems to be largely Springfields or semi-custom makes such as Fulton Arms' models. I want something nice and naturally want this to be the "last" M1A I purchase - something philosophically along the lines of a Les Baer TRS 1911. What should I consider other than buying a Springfield locally, and if I buy something like a Fulton Arms M1A, from whom do I buy it? Is that pretty much going to be a transfer to some willing local FFL?
Old 03-31-2005, 8:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The main reason I'd likely not buy a Springfield these days is that they no longer offer chrome-lined barrels. (Which also has a milspec chamber.)

Your first M1A should always have this type of bbl: this means it will eat any kind of ammo readily without feed, extraction/ ejection problems.

As far as Springfield having cast vs. forged recievers, that's not a big issue to me. Modern cast technology can make them as strong as or stronger than forged. The main weak point in Sprgfld M1As seems to be that thin cast op rod, which you should replace with a USGI version.

Fulton and/or LRB Arms is probably the way to go - unless you found a screamer deal on a used Springfield M1A which you could send back to Fulton for a new chrome-lined barrel.

If Springfield would build their 16" SOCOM with a chromed bbl I'd be filling out a 4473 as we speak...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2005, 5:12 PM

no you can't add crhome to a finished barrel.

smith enterprises will build you whatever you want and can afford.