Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:03 PM

Ok, I finally have enough money saved up to buy my 2nd handgun (my fifth gun purchase). Wow, it's been 5 to 6 years since my last gun purchase.

I'm bidding on handgun that is located out of state. This handgun is used, owned by private party, and is on CA DOJ approved list. If I do win the auction, I will need to have it transferred here.

So I guess he'll contact the FFL at his State, and that dealer would ship to gun to my FFL in CA.
Then CA FFL will ultimately transfer it to me. I already have the HSC so I'm good to go. I just need to find
property deed or utility bill to prove my residence.

Now, this handgun comes with 15rd magazine. (Must be nice living in free states.) I'm going to tell him not to ship the magazine into this state.

My questions:

1) Can he sell the gun without the magazine? Can the FFL transfer the gun without magazine inserted to me?
2) What happens if the seller failed to remove the magazine out of the gun and out of state FFL ships the handgun with 15rd mag inserted to my CA FFL? I don't want to get the seller, FFLs, and myself in trouble.
Old 04-20-2005, 7:50 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My questions:

1) Can he sell the gun without the magazine? Can the FFL transfer the gun without magazine inserted to me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and yes. But it would be convenient if you bring a legal mag so it would make it easier during the firearm safety demonstration/test.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2) What happens if the seller failed to remove the magazine out of the gun and out of state FFL ships the handgun with 15rd mag inserted to my CA FFL? I don't want to get the seller, FFLs, and myself in trouble. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, all I can say is be discreet about it. Your dealer of course won't be able to release it to you if he knew it was a hi-cap mag.

Be aware of your dealer's transfer fees. Some of them will charge a premium and even charge you sales tax for an out of state transfer.
Old 04-19-2005, 8:18 AM

Vehicle registration will work, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
I just need to find

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member
Old 04-15-2005, 10:03 PM

Ok, I finally have enough money saved up to buy my 2nd handgun (my fifth gun purchase). Wow, it's been 5 to 6 years since my last gun purchase.

I'm bidding on handgun that is located out of state. This handgun is used, owned by private party, and is on CA DOJ approved list. If I do win the auction, I will need to have it transferred here.

So I guess he'll contact the FFL at his State, and that dealer would ship to gun to my FFL in CA.
Then CA FFL will ultimately transfer it to me. I already have the HSC so I'm good to go. I just need to find

Now, this handgun comes with 15rd magazine. (Must be nice living in free states.) I'm going to tell him not to ship the magazine into this state.

My questions:

1) Can he sell the gun without the magazine? Can the FFL transfer the gun without magazine inserted to me?
2) What happens if the seller failed to remove the magazine out of the gun and out of state FFL ships the handgun with 15rd mag inserted to my CA FFL? I don't want to get the seller, FFLs, and myself in trouble.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
Ok, I finally have enough money saved up to buy my 2nd handgun (my fifth gun purchase). Wow, it's been 5 to 6 years since my last gun purchase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My condolences. Congrats on your new purchase - use it in good health!

Turby
Old 04-16-2005, 4:43 PM

The seller doesn't need to send the handgun thru an FFL, unless his/her state or locale requires it.
Hopefully, you've already discussed the process with an FFL here. Some will not take any out of state shipments, some will only take shipments from FFL's. Neither one of these are by law, those would be decisions they made themselves. Some might charge you as much as $200 because they feel they are missing out on the profit and are gougers. Some will charge you a reasonable fee and accept any lawful shipment for you - this is the FFL to find.

As to your questions
1.Selling without a magazine is fine. Some FFL's might get touchy on your safe handling step if you can't pretend to show them you know how to load it.
2. If the FFL you use has the hi-cap CA endorsement then this is no problem. He keeps the mag(s) and noone is in trouble. If this happens, maybe you can strike a deal with him to sell it to LE or out of state for you/discount etc. I'm not sure what happens if your FFL can't handle hicaps.

Best would be to try and get a little discount from the seller to not send you the hicap.