Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-24-2009, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

Default How to Start New Legislation

How do new bills come to be?

I'm thinking that the law should be changed to exempt single-action revolvers from the one-in-30-day rule. In fact, anything exempt from the roster should be exempt from the one-in-30-day rule.

Too many times a new CAS shooter will purchase two identical, possibly with consecutive serial numbers, handguns only to be stymied by this one-in-30-day rule.

I really doubt my reps/senator would even listen to me on this.

Old 07-24-2009, 5:28 AM

You can call, or write your assemblyman and suggest the idea. You can also shop around for an assemblymen who is passionate about what you'd like and see if they will write it up and submit it. 'An assemblyman' I know says to put the idea in writing and submit it with his chief of staff (I also shoot with the chief).

There's an assemblyman (sorry can't remember the name) who regularly takes suggestions from his constituents. He wants his constituents to recognize that government should be accessible to everyone (more than just fixing state government issues). The winning idea gets a bill introduced that session.

Keep in mind, that just writing it and/or getting a bill submitted is a long way from getting enough momentum for it to actually pass.
Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here
Old 07-24-2009, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

While 1-in-30 days rule is not tied to Roster it is likely quite vulnerable just as the Roster is (and Roster-derived limitations - microstamping, LCI/mag discos etc.)

Let's take down the Roster first and set our mark. Then other stuff comes down more easily.

While a CA resident's first gun purchase 10 day waiting period likely will stand (perhaps 10 goes
to 5 or 3, but it's still there), we believe waiting periods for gun-purchases-after-the-first are not defendable. This 1-in-30 clearly falls under that defetable restriction.

[I myself wanted added Roster exemption for uncle/aunt, stepparent and domestic partner intrafamily transfers. This allows some diagonal movement of guns up/down the family tree and supports nontraditional families, but why poke at something that we will kill?]

We really don't want to reinforce/validate a law by enforcing its existence thru amending it, unless the amendments are so highly beneficial and outweigh this, or are strategic microsteps useful in bringing it down.

As it currently stands, 1-in-30 day limit is avoidable by having a C&R and a COE, which are easily obtainable. The only thing that stands in your way is a few bucks for C&R app and a few bucks more for Live Scan fingerprinting. [Contrary to some paranoid nuts, there really is no reason to fear/not want to have a C&R. BATF home inspections are avertable and C&R guns can be brought to the local BATF office instead, if they really wanna see 'em. I have heard that when some folks do this the BATF just says "bring in your book" and doesn't wanna go thru the drama of having the guns hauled into the office.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 07-24-2009 at 9:35 AM..
Old 07-24-2009, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

I would say start with about $40. 50. Billion.
Need to buy four or five of out elected officals.

This would be a good start.

Old 07-24-2009, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
I would say start with about $40. 50. Billion.
Need to buy four or five of out elected officals.

This would be a good start.

Who bought our elected officials to get them to pass these ridiculous laws in the first place?
Old 07-24-2009, 4:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
BATF home inspections are avertable and C&R guns can be brought to the local BATF office instead, if they really wanna see 'em. I have heard that when some folks do this the BATF just says "bring in your book" and doesn't wanna go thru the drama of having the guns hauled into the office.]
First-hand experience w/ Dallas/Ft.Worth atf office: I was given the choice of home, work, or office; I opted for their office, offered to bring the guns. Atf needed my bound book only. In and out in 20 minutes, half that time spent discussing Dallas' supposed football team.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 07-24-2009, 5:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'd like to see cowboy action shooters not try to break up the 2A by more of this cowboy-exemption crap.

How about no 1-in-30 days for ALL handguns?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 07-24-2009, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

The big 2A issues are already proceeding and a little change to the exemption list like this will not do anything to change that. While it might take years for the big issues to resolve, this one small issue can slide through and offer a break for at least one group.

Old 07-24-2009, 6:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
I'd like to see cowboy action shooters not try to break up the 2A by more of this cowboy-exemption crap.

How about no 1-in-30 days for ALL handguns?
Yes.
Old 07-24-2009, 7:13 PM

If you want to change the law you need to look into the proposition process and let the citizens vote. Of coarse this takes money, legal talent, public relations, and a majority of voters behind the legislation. Given the current make up of the legislators in Sacramento, you don't have a prayer getting any common sense fire arm legislation passed or a current law repealed.