Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-23-2009, 8:31 AM

Default Microstamping

So, is it really true that come 01 January, all new rostered handguns need to be compliant with the microstamping law? (I understand that existing handguns are grandfathered in).

If so, this is a gross invasion of privacy, at the very least, and does nothing to actually improve the "safety" of the weapon as pursuant to the law's purported intent.

Furthermore, are manufacturers really going to build CA-approved models with this microstamping nonsense built-in? If not, the roster will slowly dwindle away to nothing. Although, somehow I think this was the intent of that legislation anyways.

The level of legislative stupidity in this state is simply staggering. Please tell me this was somehow overturned or invalidated ...
Old 07-23-2009, 8:40 AM

Try a search

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...=microstamping

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e_Handgun_List

Old 07-23-2009, 8:45 AM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by loather View Post
The level of legislative stupidity in this state is simply staggering. Please tell me this was somehow overturned or invalidated ...
Sadly the legislators have lots of help from the sheeple electorate. After all someone had to vote those otherwise unemployable toads into office.

Probably the same folks who recently voted to build a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco at a cost of $40 BBBBBillion.

Now I can go to Sidestep and buy a rt ticket for tomorrow lax - sfo for $129. Or I can book a similar trip on Amtrack and pay $118.

Even if the travel times were close (and they never will be regardless of how fast the train will be) in what world does it make sense to pay $40 Billion to have a service that is only $10 cheaper, but that's not even including the tax payer subsidies which are probably another $200 per passenger?

Yes - the fools in Sacto are running the state into the ground, but they have a lot of co-conspirators.
Old 07-23-2009, 9:00 AM

It's "inactive," but that don't mean it's dead. This is an absurd bill that is just to encumber the firearms manufacturers with useless rules.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 352
AUTHOR(S) : Koretz (Coauthors: Klehs, Pavley, Ridley-Thomas, and
Yee) (Coauthor: Senator Scott).
TOPIC : Firearms: microstamping.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 06/19/2006

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 11/30/2006
LAST HIST. ACTION : Died in Conference.
FILE : ASM RECONSIDERATION
FILE DATE : 08/31/2006
ITEM : 68

TITLE : An act to amend Sections 12126 and 12130 of the Penal
Code, relating to firearms.
Old 07-23-2009, 9:05 AM

OK, got what I needed to know. Because of patent encumberance (hey, patent law as it stands *is* good for something!) the law cannot go into effect next year. That's at least somewhat comforting.

As for the sheeple electorate ... preaching to the choir.

Although I thought a straight-through train to SFO would be a good idea, I simply couldn't vote on it knowing what it would cost the taxpayers (read: me).

California needs to get out of this mentality that passing a bond measure makes the money come out of thin air. Bonds still have to be paid back somehow, and, well, the only income for the state government is through taxes or fees. If we can't or don't want to raise taxes, *maybe* this program shouldn't be funded!

Anyhow, I digress. Thanks for those who responded.
Old 07-23-2009, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This bill as total BS. I hope it stays dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 07-23-2009, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

It's inactive because the underlying technology has patent encumbrances that must be released entirely before the law can become active. If the patent holders never release the patent on their own... It still will be several YEARS before the law becomes active. If the "Not Unsafe" roster goes bye-bye, this law becomes moot.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Good to know. An RO at the Livermore Range also mentioned last weekend that micro-stamping law goes into effect next year along with several other laws I did not recall - such as a new mag disconnect, and some type of new more obvious loaded chamber indicator.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Sadly the legislators have lots of help from the sheeple electorate. After all someone had to vote those otherwise unemployable toads into office.

Probably the same folks who recently voted to build a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco at a cost of $40 BBBBBillion.

Now I can go to Sidestep and buy a rt ticket for tomorrow lax - sfo for $129. Or I can book a similar trip on Amtrack and pay $118.

Even if the travel times were close (and they never will be regardless of how fast the train will be) in what world does it make sense to pay $40 Billion to have a service that is only $10 cheaper, but that's not even including the tax payer subsidies which are probably another $200 per passenger?

Yes - the fools in Sacto are running the state into the ground, but they have a lot of co-conspirators.
but now the tax and spend democrats can show their ecotard constituents how green we are. doesn't matter that half the time existing rail service becomes bus service due to track closures. look at the san diego trolley. biggest waste of money in history. it causes more traffic congestion than it could ever hope to clear and serves a whopping 2% of the population. we need a season on greenies. their population has exceeded their habitat and they're pressuring other species. maybe we could thin them or relocate some to az or nv.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

microstamping will never happen. the slugs who developed this will never give their tech to their competitors to allow our politburo to enforce the law. even if it passes, immediate injunction.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't wish that on our neighboring states. Treat them like any other species that has overpopulated and unbalanced its ecosystem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Wanted: pre-war Colt Detective Special and commercial 1911.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironpants View Post

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy
What the hey? You can have inactive laws? How can a law be inactive other than willful disregard to enforce?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Rifleman View Post
Good to know. An RO at the Livermore Range also mentioned last weekend that micro-stamping law goes into effect next year along with several other laws I did not recall - such as a new mag disconnect, and some type of new more obvious loaded chamber indicator.
Was it the guy that whistles when he talks? If so, he was telling me you can't drive around with an unlocked rifle in the cab your truck. He then added no ammo in the cab with matching firearms, no matter how it is stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironpants View Post
It's "inactive," but that don't mean it's dead. This is an absurd bill that is just to encumber the firearms manufacturers with useless rules.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 352
AUTHOR(S) : Koretz (Coauthors: Klehs, Pavley, Ridley-Thomas, and
Yee) (Coauthor: Senator Scott).
TOPIC : Firearms: microstamping.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 06/19/2006
Wrong bill.

The Microstamping that passed was AB1471 in 2007.

As others have noted, the encumbrance language is key.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Rifleman View Post
No such new laws going into effect. All the mag disconnect and LCI was in SB 489; nothing else has happened with the Roster since 2007.

See the Calguns Foundation Wiki page at http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...e_Handgun_List

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-23-2009, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wingnut View Post
I wouldn't wish that on our neighboring states. Treat them like any other species that has overpopulated and unbalanced its ecosystem.
yes, ca style. rather than opening a proper season we'll just poison off a few.