Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Jennings J-22 Experiences...

Double post..

Last edited by Turbinator; 07-10-2013 at 4:43 PM..
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all,

Took time this past weekend to go try out a Jennings J-22 that's been sitting around doing nothing. Let me say this.. they should call this gun:

The Jammings J-22

In my typical fashion whenever firing a gun I've never fired before, I load 1 round into the magazine first, then chamber, then fire at the target. The gun would fire after a long, heavy, and unpredictable trigger pull. The slide would reciprocate, the empty case might be extracted, but invariably the case itself would never get ejected from the gun!

In testing two rounds in the magazine, the first round would fire, the slide would come back, but the brass wouldn't be ejected. The next round would then be stripped off the magazine, effectively creating a double-feed situation.

I didn't bother to load more than 2 rounds in the mag after noticing this effect.

In one case, the spent case was not extracted at all - the extractor failed to grab onto the rim.

In another instance, the spent case was extracted and promptly re-fed back into the empty chamber. In this case, the extractor retained its grip on the rim.

Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - a rough estimate based on the shots I could actually find that hit the target, a standard silhouette sized piece of paper. Because of the inconsistency of shot placement, I didn't bother to go into more extensive testing.

I had heard much about the famed Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, etc brands. This was my first experience with the real deal, and I must say, I was not disappointed - everything I heard was TRUE!

Now, let's hear YOUR experiences with comparable firearms - don't hold back!

Turby
Old 02-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Janitors assistant

You know Ive always seen them in gun cases and wondered why they were so inexpensive......
Old 02-15-2005, 5:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I have tried one. It worked ok. It did jam once in awhile but it was loaded with cheapo Wildcat. It had long enough strings between jams to be tolerable. After all, it only costs $39.95
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
― Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-15-2005, 7:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thought you all would like to see a pic of the item in question:

Please try to contain your envy and jealousy!

Turby

ps. I'm not posting it to sell.. just sharing my experiences - no plans to get rid of it.

Last edited by Turbinator; 06-11-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Old 02-15-2005, 7:29 PM

I got a friends working at Chabot once. It was bought in 1972-77 (they are not sure when) and never fired.

The damn thing would only cycle hot rounds and after a while it started slam-firing and almost fired out of battery. Piece of crap.

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 02-15-2005, 7:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turbinator:

ps. I'm not posting it to sell.. just sharing my experiences - no plans to get rid of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After your unabashed review, how much success do you think you'd have dumping it off on someone now, anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She's a keeper alright.
Old 02-15-2005, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get it chrome plated and add some custom grips and it would look SWEEEEEET

Maybe a tac light and tritium sights

Of course, you wouldn't be adding any value to it. Just throwing your money away....
Old 02-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Janitors assistant

Those are nice grips are they real wood?
Old 02-16-2005, 1:05 AM

For those of you who are not familiar with it, this is how to operate the Jennings 22 ( AKA, Single-shot automatic ):

1. Load the magazine and insert in to the handle of the gun.

2. Draw the slide and release it to chamber a round.

3. Aim down the sights and when ready, fire.

4. The slide will blow-back but the shell will not eject.

5. Pull and hold the slide back and remove the shell with tweizers.

6. Repete the steps 2 through 5 until all rounds have been fired.

7. Once all rounds have been fired, dispose pistol.
Old 02-16-2005, 1:45 PM
Super Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Those are nice grips are they real wood? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, they are - thanks for noticing. They came pre-installed, so I don't know if they had to be hand whittled and hand fitted to the frame.

I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased.

Turby
Old 02-16-2005, 3:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 44 Canon:
For those of you who are not familiar with it, this is how to operate the Jennings 22 ( AKA, Single-shot automatic ):

1. Load the magazine and insert in to the handle of the gun.

2. Draw the slide and release it to chamber a round.

3. Aim down the sights and when ready, fire.

4. The slide will blow-back but the shell will not eject.

5. Pull and hold the slide back and remove the shell with tweizers.

6. Repete the steps 2 through 5 until all rounds have been fired.

7. Once all rounds have been fired, dispose pistol. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds about right.
Oh and be ready for lots of burning crap to burn your skin. LOTS.

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 02-16-2005, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't get the burning crap on my skin - presumably you mean bits of powder, etc. Didn't happen, although I didn't put a whole lot of rounds through the gun that day.

Turby
Old 02-16-2005, 8:54 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Turbinator:

I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased.

Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard it said that they only use select Brazilian BusBenchBoard on their stocks.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Janitors assistant

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I'm also not sure what kind of wood they are. I'm hoping it's Hawaiian Koa wood, so that the value of the item will be increased. Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
[/QUOTE]

I had a car whose value went up or down depending on the level of gas in the tank.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Solve your j-22 problem of not extracting!!!!!!

(I must first say that I am not a certified armorer and making any modifications to your gun is not my responsibility its YOURS) Ok, now thats out of the way. I had a friend moving out of state he asked me if I wanted a piece of crap 22 pistol. Me being the gun nut I am, I said sure. What I took possession of was a j-22 that would not extract a round no matter what. After inspecting the spent round I could see the extractor was not completely grabbing the edge of the round. The extractor was working fine but not fully seating in the notch on the side of the chamber. This notch is a very poor design and I will tell you how I fixed it. You will need a drill press, drill bits, and small jeweler files. starting with the smallest drill bit, drill out just the rear of the notch then smooth the drilling with a file, then test fire the gun. repeat these steps with the next size drill bit until it extracts . this exposes some of the chambered rounds case but seems not to affect anything but allowing the gun to work everytime it is fired. All of these guns are different a little experimentation will be needed on your part to get the notch just right..... My j-22 now shoots and cycles perfectly everytime... Good luck
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg3358 View Post
(I must first say that I am not a certified armorer and making any modifications to your gun is not my responsibility its YOURS) Ok, now thats out of the way. I had a friend moving out of state he asked me if I wanted a piece of crap 22 pistol. Me being the gun nut I am, I said sure. What I took possession of was a j-22 that would not extract a round no matter what. After inspecting the spent round I could see the extractor was not completely grabbing the edge of the round. The extractor was working fine but not fully seating in the notch on the side of the chamber. This notch is a very poor design and I will tell you how I fixed it. You will need a drill press, drill bits, and small jeweler files. starting with the smallest drill bit, drill out just the rear of the notch then smooth the drilling with a file, then test fire the gun. repeat these steps with the next size drill bit until it extracts . this exposes some of the chambered rounds case but seems not to affect anything but allowing the gun to work everytime it is fired. All of these guns are different a little experimentation will be needed on your part to get the notch just right..... My j-22 now shoots and cycles perfectly everytime... Good luck
Why would you dig up a thread that was last posted on February of 2005?????????
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I have found Jennings to be great for target practice, if a tad expensive. They only hold up for 1 or 2 hits.

Crap, just realized I got sucked into the mother of all necroposts.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

5 year anniversary revival, awesome!
Too bad it's a day early.

BTW, I paid $10 at a local pawn shop for a J22.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Probably because he was excited that he found a way to make a Jennings run reliably, and did a search before posting as recommended and found a thread that seemed relevant?

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 AM

I have one, i am happy with it. It really works great.............

...........as a paperweight, nothing else!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I got mine as a paperweight. Jennings is my middle name.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Location: Riverside, Southern Province, People's Republic of KALIFORNIA

Mine emptys mag after mag without any failure as long as I use minimags. I bought it 27 years ago for $45 and think I have gotten my moneys worth.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Hi all,

Took time this past weekend to go try out a Jennings J-22 that's been sitting around doing nothing. Let me say this.. they should call this gun:

The Jammings J-22

In my typical fashion whenever firing a gun I've never fired before, I load 1 round into the magazine first, then chamber, then fire at the target. The gun would fire after a long, heavy, and unpredictable trigger pull. The slide would reciprocate, the empty case might be extracted, but invariably the case itself would never get ejected from the gun!

In testing two rounds in the magazine, the first round would fire, the slide would come back, but the brass wouldn't be ejected. The next round would then be stripped off the magazine, effectively creating a double-feed situation.

I didn't bother to load more than 2 rounds in the mag after noticing this effect.

In one case, the spent case was not extracted at all - the extractor failed to grab onto the rim.

In another instance, the spent case was extracted and promptly re-fed back into the empty chamber. In this case, the extractor retained its grip on the rim.

Group size results were nothing short of "impressive." Shooting at a mere 10 yards away, group sizes seemed to be in the 5" to 6" category - a rough estimate based on the shots I could actually find that hit the target, a standard silhouette sized piece of paper. Because of the inconsistency of shot placement, I didn't bother to go into more extensive testing.

I had heard much about the famed Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, etc brands. This was my first experience with the real deal, and I must say, I was not disappointed - everything I heard was TRUE!

Now, let's hear YOUR experiences with comparable firearms - don't hold back!

Turby
I've had a Jennings/Bryco 380 Auto since 1992. Last time I recall taking it to the range was 1996. Never had a problem with it. Might have to pull it out of the safe and take it for a spin.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

My J-22 only jammed once or twice per magazine. I think sold it for half of what I paid for it.
Good riddance...
Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

6 year rez post. lol
Old 02-16-2011, 3:04 PM

I bought a J22 new back in the eighties. I count it as the worst gun I have ever owned. Could not get it to fire more than 2 rounds without jamming. Don't think I ever got through a full mag. Sold it and was glad to see it go - gave full disclosure to the buyer but they bought it anyway.

This is in contrast to a Raven P25, which I have shot extensively and has never given me any trouble.

And I ain't 'fraid of no necro posts...

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.

Old 02-16-2011, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
My J-22 only jammed once or twice per magazine. I think sold it for half of what I paid for it.
Good riddance...
^ same.

I had one in 1983. Real POS. Traded it straight across for a Sheridan .17 pump pellet pistol. Great deal .... for me.

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 02-16-2011, 7:46 PM
Banned

y'all havent got to the good part, once you get past past the Jennings jamming stage, the sear wears out and it becomes the the Jennings "Jammin!" 22. full auto, bzzzzt 7 rds. in .2 seconds... always a laugh if it doesnt take yer face off...
prolly one of the worst guns evah! Take it to the closest gun buyback post haste!
Old 02-16-2011, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

i had a little chrome one. bang bang jam bang jam bang jam something like that.
Old 02-16-2011, 8:44 PM

Very confused. Is there something technical going on or did a 6 year old post just get resurrected on it's anniversary?
Old 02-16-2011, 8:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
5 year anniversary revival, awesome!
Too bad it's a day early.

BTW, I paid $10 at a local pawn shop for a J22.
that's probably why jennings went out of business

they had to melt down 7 hotwheels cars (at a cost of $2.00 each) to make a $10 pistol
Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Those were $39-$45 wholesale in 1992.

I've always remembered that. Cheapest brand new gun I have ever seen.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 02-17-2011, 4:32 AM

I rediscovered mine around Christmas. It was in the bottom of my gun cleaning case. It was siting there in its original box under some rags.
I remember how it jammed every other shot. I did a little research and found this:

http://www.bryco-jennings-jimenezarm...forum.php?f=11

The dumb little gun has a following...
Old 02-17-2011, 7:39 AM

I could never understand the anti's rabid desire to ban this (type) of gun. If they only knew how terrible it was, they would want every criminal to have one. They would never be able to shoot anyone, and you could tack on a firearms enhancement to the charges...

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.

Old 02-17-2011, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

I had one a long time ago. And for some reason the CCI Stingers really worked well on that pistol. No jamming issues at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 6:54 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, I'm flattered that one of my posts from 2005 got brought back up to see the light of day. Awesome!

I still have the J-22 - you'll see it in my "how to photograph firearms" thread, and in fact it's sitting at my computer desk right now.. Once in awhile, I'll pick it up and cycle the slide, then put it back down. Something to do while waiting for the PC, or sitting on a conference call...

Turby
Old 02-17-2011, 7:19 PM
Banned

Only reason I have not chucked mine in the trash is...... well I don't know? I will take it out one more time and if it wont cycle it wont be coming home.
Old 02-17-2011, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Only reason I have not chucked mine in the trash is...... well I don't know? I will take it out one more time and if it wont cycle it wont be coming home.
At least use it in a lucrative gun buyback program. Get a grocery gift card or something.

Turby
Old 03-07-2011, 9:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry for an unfortunate bump.. But mine runs fine.. If you consider jamming every round fine!