Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-20-2009, 6:00 AM

Default Carrying Identification

I was having a discussion with a LEO about carrying ID in california. My understanding is that there is no statue in california requiring an individual to have ID on them at all times. The LEO stated that anyone over the age of 18 has to have ID on them at all times. Can someone clarify this for me?
Old 07-20-2009, 6:25 AM

False. A CDL is required when driving. Cal ID cards are issued for other ID purposes, but are not mandatory.
Old 07-20-2009, 6:40 AM

Thanks Fire, that was my understanding. Now any ideas how I can educate the LEO to this fact? I hate to see individuals spreading FUD and he quite adament that carrying ID is mandatory. Again thank you for the info.
Old 07-20-2009, 7:33 AM

Diplomaticaly, ask him to refer you to the section of law that requires you to possesss an identification card, so that you can read more about it.
He'll be unable to do so, but may claim that he knows it's a law somewhere.

Perhaps he means that you have to be able to identify yourself to LE upon demand. This is true, but can be done so verbally, then if possible verified through a computer check. However, if you've never had a CDL, Cal ID, never been cited, arrested, etc., then you will not show up if you have never been through the system. But that's not your problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 9:01 AM
Jonathan Doe

If the person commits any crime/ offense, and the LEO cannot verify his identity, he may be held until his ID can be verified. That was the way at least when I was working on the streets. I had to hold several people in the past when no file on the person was found through CLETS. Only way to verify was by finger print and it took time.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
If the person commits any crime/ offense, and the LEO cannot verify his identity, he may be held until his ID can be verified. That was the way at least when I was working on the streets. I had to hold several people in the past when no file on the person was found through CLETS. Only way to verify was by finger print and it took time.
Still the way it's done. For VC violations we use 40302 VC as the arresting authority. If they don't have ID for a low grade misdemeanor you just book them instead of issuing a notice to appear. We do have live scan now which means we can pull up finger print ID rather quickly; sometimes within minutes.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Carrying identification AND proof of a legal visa is actually required for all non-citizens, even permanent residents.
Old 07-20-2009, 4:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8 View Post
I was having a discussion with a LEO about carrying ID in california. My understanding is that there is no statue in california requiring an individual to have ID on them at all times. The LEO stated that anyone over the age of 18 has to have ID on them at all times. Can someone clarify this for me?
PC 647e was found unconstitutionally vague in 1983: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolender_v._Lawson
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks Fire, that was my understanding. Now any ideas how I can educate the LEO to this fact?
Tell him/her to visit calguns and we'll teach'em more then just "stop and ID" law.
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 4:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My dept also has the portable IBIS machines. You can get a thumbprint and some basic info and it will tell you within a couple minutes if the person you have is actually that person.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 07-20-2009, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just ask the LEO in question what type of I.D. does he carry with him while in the water at the beach??

Total fallacy about the "mandatory" carrying of I.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 07-25-2009, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Carrying identification AND proof of a legal visa is actually required for all non-citizens, even permanent residents.
Not if the person falls under the visa waiver program, only a valid passport would be required. Legal permanant residents don't need a visa but must have their I-551 in their possession at all times.
When it becomes necessary to seek protection from your protectors because they've substituted their judgment for clear, standing principles they've sworn to follow and have done so to the extent of attacking the protected, to characterize their actions as justified in furtherance of some nebulous greater good is to align yourself with and endorse criminal wrongdoing. - Author unknown