Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-17-2009, 5:31 PM

Default "My Worries as a Latino"

I recently came across an article in the "San Diego Weekly READER" in titled "They carry guns on the beach,at the supermarket,to restaurants...and it's perfectly legal" and it goes to talk about the right of "open carry". witch i had never heard of. I've heard of "c.c.w" but is as much that i know. Now the story explains that "you" as a free man can carry a gun on a holster as long as it's not loaded and in plain view. It goes on to inform (us) about some of the laws and regulations,what to say,whats right from wrong.I attained much knowledge some of what lead me to this site and others. I wish not to sound racist but these people they interviewed where caucasian. Well as they where getting interviewed "a good samaritan i will say" question the men excercise their right to "open carry" police was involved and where question on the spot and their guns where checked,with no problems. Now "MY WORRIES AS A LATINO" is this i don't have a criminal record,iv'ed never gotten a moving violation, im not part of a gang,but i would like to excercise my right as a free man to be able to open carry my gun(by the way all four of my guns i own are registered and are under my name.) but first glance of me right away most people would think i'am affiliated in one way or the other. I have tattoo's, a goatee, slick back hair,but i dress in a casual form. I just find it hard to excercise my right because of it. I should be able to do so but am scared to, because of racial profiling i wanna make a difference for the open carry right but i need your input.Feel free to give your opinion.
Old 07-17-2009, 6:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Welcome to the site. See this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=203523

I don't believe the Calguns Foundation is advising open carry at the moment, aside from at group outings like these. Keep your eyes peeled for the next posting for an OC event, and join in if you're interested. I'm sure you'll be fine in a setting like that, at least.
Old 07-17-2009, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

There doesn't seem to actually be anything stopping you from exercising your right to open carry except your own perception of yourself looking like a criminal. You have a right and you can take advantage of it as you wish, but coming on here and implying that somehow racial profiling is stopping you from OCing is bad form in my opinion.

OC away, just make sure you are aware of your surroundings (no schools, etc) because you can get in some decent trouble if you are not careful.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Hey your right. Maybe i was being a little harsh and self conscious about this whole thing.I need to express my self but also be informed. Thanks for the input B.D.Dubloon
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM

I'll take that offer i need to feel comfortable and get to know our laws better,attending one of those function might be the answer... But thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

GSG. Browse around and lurk for a while, get involved in some discussions. There is a wealth of great information here that will help you learn to exercise your rights to the fullest while staying out of trouble with the law.

Grab a chair and kick back a while
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately people judge by appearances, if you shave your goatee wear slacks and dress shoes and a collared shirt people likely wont even take a second look.

If you dress with a 4 sizes to large white shirt, same size shorts with knee high socks and vans. people will likely call the police. Not a big surprise.

Which outfit is more likely to get you pulled over?

Which is more likely to get you a job?

I really don't understand your line of thought here? If you don't want to get profiled, don't fit the profile.

This is coming from someone who has been pulled over 30 times plus, in my slammed, black on black, rice burner with a big picture of an AR-15 with the words pro-gun. I thought it was fun and or funny, but I also didn't have a gun on my hip.

I sold the car and got a white Chevy Silverado and really haven't got pulled over since.

Check out my Tactical Machining 80% build

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even on Calguns.
NRA Life Member
USPSA Member
IDPA Member

Last edited by Lancear15; 07-20-2009 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Hey 415, yeah I'am new here and I'm trying to do so...I need more knowledge and i will continue to look for it. Well stay safe out there brotha!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancear15 View Post
Unfortunately people judge by appearances, if you shave your goatee wear slacks and dress shoes and a collared shirt people likely wont even take a second look.

If you dress with a 4 sizes to large white shirt, same size shorts with knee high socks and vans. people will likely call the police. Not a big surprise.

Which outfit is more likely to get you pulled over?

Which is more likely to get you a job?

I really don't understand your line of thought here? If you don't want to get profiled, don't fit the profile.

This is coming from someone who has been pulled over 30 times plus, in my slammed, black on black, rice burner with a big picture of an AR-15 with the words pro-gun. I thought it was fun and or funny, but I also didn't have a gun on my hip.

I sold the car and got a white Chevy Silverado and really haven't got pulled over since.
Your right even if i was trying to do good for the cause i guess I would only set more obsticles for me with that mind set. GSG-5
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Go to www.opencarry.org, that site will have all the information you need on Open Carrying.

It's really restricted in CA....think of how often you are within 1/4 of a mile of a school.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM

At the same time, fitting the profile, but flying right, is a great way make folks rethink profiling.

Your concerns are realistic in my opinion. I wouldn't open carry in my town, they wouldn't have it...and I'm a pretty normal looking white guy. The odds are, my rights would be violated one way or another. Going by your description, if you open carried in my town, holy crap dude...might be a good way to score seven figures if you pulled through.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 AM

People usually think im an agent or a detective when I open carry because I usually have on slacks and a dress shirt + tie. Profiling is everywher, and can be used to your advantage given the right mindset and insight. -SR
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As a board member of the Calguns foundation I would not open carry for reasons pertaining to common sense at this time. We dont need the negative publicity. It can be very expensive to prove you are within your rights.
As a Latino I see no difference between you and a Caucasian open carrying. It is all in how you carry yourself not how you carry the gun.

Read all you can and join our fight for our rights.
Old 08-03-2009, 9:20 PM

I'm so happy I found this thread, I had no idea. I'm calling the police department tomorrow to find out if my city has any special laws against this.
Old 08-04-2009, 8:22 AM

I would say don't do this unless you have money to fight in court. An option would be going out on an organized group oc thing.