Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-15-2009, 9:55 PM

Default Glock 30 to 10mm conversion

Anything else should I need except a drop-in barrel? Anybody has personal experience to share with either 30 or 21?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
short bus driver

Make sure it's a .45ACP to 10x25mm conversion barrel.
Use Glock 20/29 magazines for reliable feeding of the 10mm ammo.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Make sure it's a .45ACP to 10x25mm conversion barrel.
Use Glock 20/29 magazines for reliable feeding of the 10mm ammo.
Planning on getting a KKM conversion barrel
Old 07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Stronger guide rod spring.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
i second.

Bruce Lee
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's kinda funny to hear this. The factory guide rod is the same in the G29, G30 and G36.

I'm sure many of you don't believe me, so here's the part number

Glock Part number 8063

Granted, I would want a stronger spring in there myself, but the factory seems to work fine. I just wouldn't use double-tap ammo in the 10mm. Maybe just WWB or Blazer.

FYI, there have been a few cases of the factory G29 mags not functioning or seating properly. Some users have gone to the G20 mag grip extension for the G21 mag in a G30.

GL!

WTB the following - in San Diego
--COLT Delta Elite 10mm Blued
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I didn't know they were the same. Kinda funny since the 10mm has a lot more power to slow down from say the .45, 9mm, or .40.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^I think some of it is offset w/ the heavier slides of the 20/21.

I have a KKM 45-10mm conversion in my G21sf. Works like a charm w/ my reloads (180gr. Zero FMJ, 5.8 gr. 231), even w/ the OEM guide rod & spring. All you need is the conversion barrel and the appropriate magazine (20/29, as mentioned). Very accurate, to boot. Do it, it's a hoot to shoot!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
Anything else should I need except a drop-in barrel? Anybody has personal experience to share with either 30 or 21?
A 10mm magazine, or three... I had LWD build a complete 10mm upper (slide, barrel etc) for my 21sf. Makes the switchover VERY simple.
Old 07-16-2009, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
^^^I think some of it is offset w/ the heavier slides of the 20/21.

I have a KKM 45-10mm conversion in my G21sf. Works like a charm w/ my reloads (180gr. Zero FMJ, 5.8 gr. 231), even w/ the OEM guide rod & spring. All you need is the conversion barrel and the appropriate magazine (20/29, as mentioned). Very accurate, to boot. Do it, it's a hoot to shoot!
Have you clocked the loads? I'm curious how fast they are running.....

I've got a pound each of BlueDot and 800X to play with to make some "full house" 10mm loads (180's should run 1300~1400fps).

As for the factory recoil setup, almost no one loads 10mm to what it is really supposed to be. More like 40S&W, so I'm sure the factory spring would do fine. If you are shooting DoubleTap, I'd take things up a notch...YMMV
Old 07-16-2009, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

No, but they don't feel like screaming hot DT loads to me. (Just checked my notes, it's 6.0 gr. of 231, btw). I could probably crank it up a bit, but it just shoots so nicely as is. Last time out, an older gent came by and asked, "What the heck were you shooting? It was so loud, and you were really hammering those steel plates!" Even Black Majik commented that the bullets seemed to really fly out to the 100 yd. plates. It's good for now.

Be sure to post results of your loads, eh?
Old 07-16-2009, 7:29 PM

+1 for the KKM Precision barrel. Great people to deal with.
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 07-16-2009, 8:49 PM

Why would you want to go from 45 to 10mm?
Old 07-16-2009, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Because a 10mm would kick a .45's *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 07-16-2009, 9:03 PM

If that's the case, why is the 45 a more popular round?
Old 07-16-2009, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

.45acp has been around a LOT longer, and fans of it and the 1911 platform are legion. Doesn't hurt either that the .45 recoil impulse is relatively forgiving, especially compared to the 10mm, making it an easier caliber for many to shoot accurately.

The 10mm is a hotter round, very much like a .40s&w on 'roids. More muzzle flip/recoil than the .45, more velocity, more penetration, more money. For those that enjoy magnum hand cannons, however, it's tons of fun to shoot. Popularity of the round, or lack thereof, is really not much of a concern to most 10mm fans.

Last edited by BamBam-31; 07-16-2009 at 9:18 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
More handguns are .45s like the 1911. .45 can be found almost anywhere.

damn bambam beat me to it! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-16-2009, 9:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
There's a lot of history behind both rounds, here's a short summary.

The .45 was developed in the early 1900's because the .38 caliber the military was using in the Philipines was NOT stopping people. So they settled on a .45 caliber handgun round that was proven to actually stop a determined attacker or someone who might be on drugs as a suicide mission.

In the early 1980's Jeff Cooper worked to develop a new handgun and cartridge. He designed the Bren Ten and the 10mm auto round. The gun was a failure for the most part, but the round had very good balistics. The FBI adopted the round in the Colt Delta Elite and Double Eagle series handguns. Due to the performance of the new 10mm there was some sharp recoil and over penetration (we're talking going through telephone poles according to some reports). Instead of training their agents they decided to ask for a redsign which ended with a short 10mm or the .40 S&W as we know it today.

The 10mm has the same energy on impact as the .45 does, but it travels at almost twice the speed. It is a straight shooting round, and is actually very very nice. Unfortunately the round never caught on because of the limited number of guns chambered in it. I think now more than ever we're seeing more and more 10mm chambered handguns on the market. Hopefully it regains it's popularity to bring some of the ammo prices back into check.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 07-16-2009, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
.45acp has been around a LOT longer, and fans of it and the 1911 platform are legion. Doesn't hurt that the .45 recoil impulse is relatively forgiving, especially compared to the 10mm, making it easier for many to shoot accurately.

The 10mm is a hotter round, very much like a .40s&w on 'roids. More muzzle flip/recoil than the .45, more velocity, more penetration, more money. For those that enjoy magnum hand cannons, however, it's tons of fun to shoot. Popularity of the round, or lack thereof, is really not much of a concern to most 10mm fans.
The 10mm puts a smile everytime I fire it from my 610 It's nothing when loaded in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
Z gets around. lol
Old 07-16-2009, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Ha! Faster on the draw!
Old 07-16-2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
Because a 10mm would kick a .45's *****
+1 on that
Old 07-18-2009, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Which mag to use for glock30 when doing this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 07-18-2009, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMasterTech View Post
Which mag to use for glock30 when doing this?
Glock 29 mags. You may have to change out the base plates to 30 plates...
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 07-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Tweaked that a little bit. The 10mm is significantly hotter than the 45 ACP, and you can run anything from 135gr @ 1700 fps (6" Jarvis pipe) to 230gr Beartooths at @ 1225-1250 fps. That same HOT 230gr from the 45 is running 200 fps slower with 175 or so less energy.

The big deal is pressure. The case of the .45 is a bit larger in diameter while the case of the 10mm is a bit longer but not as large around. 10mm runs at 37,500 psi max while the .45 is 21,500 max. 45+p is 23,500 max... that pressure makes a big difference.

Quote:

The .45 was developed in the early 1900's because the .38 caliber the military was using in the Philipines was NOT stopping people. So they settled on a .45 caliber handgun round that was proven to actually stop a determined attacker or someone who might be on drugs as a suicide mission.

In the early 1980's Jeff Cooper worked to develop a new handgun and cartridge. He designed the Bren Ten and the 10mm auto round. The gun was a failure for the most part, but the round had very good balistics. The FBI adopted the round in the Colt Delta Elite and Double Eagle series handguns. Due to the performance of the new 10mm there was some sharp recoil and over penetration (we're talking going through telephone poles according to some reports). Instead of training their agents they decided to ask for a redsign which ended with a short 10mm or the .40 S&W as we know it today.

The 10mm has more energy at 100 yards than the .45 does on impact, and it travels at about 30% higher velocity. It is a straight shooting round, and is actually very very nice. Unfortunately the round never caught on because of the limited number of guns chambered in it. I think now more than ever we're seeing more and more 10mm chambered handguns on the market. Hopefully it regains it's popularity to bring some of the ammo prices back into check.

Μολὼν λαβέ
.................................................. ............
COMPLETE HI-CAP MAG REPAIR KITS FOR SALE- MAGPUL, RUGER, SIG, FN, H&K, GLOCK, MINI14, M1, M1A/M14, AK47, BLACK DOG, AR15,PARA, BERETTA, CZ, GSG, SAIGA, SPRINGFIELD, S&W, SKS & MORE.

www.laksupply.com

http://laksupply.com/magazines-mag-kits

http://laksupply.com/magazines-mag-kits/ar-15-magazines

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=99311
Old 07-19-2009, 7:11 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:

Ask many Filipino gun owners what they own and most of them will mention a .45 ACP. A lot of my Filipino gun-owning friends swear by the .45 ACP especiall good ole 1911A1.

Quote:
In the early 1980's Jeff Cooper worked to develop a new handgun and cartridge. He designed the Bren Ten and the 10mm auto round. The gun was a failure for the most part, but the round had very good balistics.
The original idea was to build a handgun cartridge that can bridge the gap between the 9mm and the .45ACP, but it did not. All it did was create a caliber that is even more powerful and more punishing than the .45 ACP.

Quote:
The FBI adopted the round in the Colt Delta Elite and Double Eagle series handguns.
Actually, the adopted pistol at the time was the SW 1076 or the SW 1006 (I don't remember which, but it was a SW double action semi auto).

Quote:
Due to the performance of the new 10mm there was some sharp recoil and over penetration (we're talking going through telephone poles according to some reports). Instead of training their agents they decided to ask for a redsign which ended with a short 10mm or the .40 S&W as we know it today.
Actually, the FBI downloaded the original 10mm load to a caliber that has the same ballistics as the .40 S&W. However, the pistols used were still pretty big, bulky and heavy for smaller and female agents. So, S&W and Winchester designed and created the .40 S&W by shortening the case length of the modified 10mm cartridge in order to produce the same ballistics in smaller pistols.

Quote:
The 10mm has the same energy on impact as the .45 does, but it travels at almost twice the speed. It is a straight shooting round, and is actually very very nice.
I don't know about the same energy on impact as the .45 because it travels faster, it would have more energy.

Quote:
Unfortunately the round never caught on because of the limited number of guns chambered in it. I think now more than ever we're seeing more and more 10mm chambered handguns on the market. Hopefully it regains it's popularity to bring some of the ammo prices back into check.
True.
Someone mentioned that it's a versatile round: You can use full power loading for the outdoors/hunting and use lighter loads for HD without the need of doing any conversions like .45 ACP to .45 Super or .400 Corbon. Although 10mm prices are still high, it is not as expensive as the .45 Super or .400 Corbon plus you don't need to pay as much for the pistol conversion.
Old 07-19-2009, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPFan View Post
True.
Someone mentioned that it's a versatile round: You can use full power loading for the outdoors/hunting and use lighter loads for HD without the need of doing any conversions like .45 ACP to .45 Super or .400 Corbon. Although 10mm prices are still high, it is not as expensive as the .45 Super or .400 Corbon plus you don't need to pay as much for the pistol conversion.
This is exactly the reason I decided to go with the 10mm. For a long time, I was looking for a "moderate" power magnum in a semi-auto platform. The "magnumized" .45 Auto cartridges such as 400 Corbon, 45 Super, and 460 Rowland all require some sort of special conversion. 10mm handguns are available off-the-shelf.

Now if only 1911s in 9x23mm Winchester would become more readily available again...
Old 07-19-2009, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post
Now if only 1911s in 9x23mm Winchester would become more readily available again...
+ 1

I have a 5" 1911 that I am able to run 9x23 in. I would love to have a Combat Commander in 9x23 as well.
- John Lott -
Old 07-19-2009, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Oh man, how is it? Is it the 357 Magnum in a semi-auto form like everyone says?
Old 07-19-2009, 8:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDM View Post
A 10mm magazine, or three... I had LWD build a complete 10mm upper (slide, barrel etc) for my 21sf. Makes the switchover VERY simple.
This^^^^

You might run into some extractor issues do to the size difference with the case head.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.