Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-28-2016, 1:44 PM

Default Sleeping bag temp recommendations (Sierras CA & Oregon)

I'm thinking of getting a new, lighter weight sleeping bag for backpacking all up and down the Sierras in CA along with Oregon as well. Mainly spring-fall. Should I be looking at a 20F bag? Would a cheaper mid-30s synthetic bag be enough? I have a cheaper bag currently and it seems to be fine most of the time. Looking for more data points & opinions.
Old 06-28-2016, 2:57 PM

I got this one on sale at Big5: Suisse Sport Summit 0-5 Degree Mummy Bag. I've been up in the Sierra's in about 20 degree weather and it works fine for me. Inexpensive.
Old 06-28-2016, 4:58 PM

Higher end bags generally have three ratings
- minimum/low: Lowest number you can sleep without risk of hypothermia, but not going to very comfortable
- Comfortable: you can sleep relatively comfortable above this temperature
-Maximum/high: It would be too hot sleep above this number

Point out that male and female don't share same rating, I believe that female feels colder in the same bag.
Old 06-28-2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new, lighter weight sleeping bag for backpacking all up and down the Sierras in CA along with Oregon as well. Mainly spring-fall. Should I be looking at a 20F bag? Would a cheaper mid-30s synthetic bag be enough? I have a cheaper bag currently and it seems to be fine most of the time. Looking for more data points & opinions.

Temperature ratings are not the same between different manufacturers. I have had -20F bags that made my shiver at +30F. I had REI bags, and they are garbage. I also had a Northface Inferno -40F that felt like I was sleeping in an oven while I was sleeping on snow with no tent or cover - just a 1/2" ground pad.

Wiggy's bags use to be good. I do not know if they are still any good. I have 2 for backpacking: One +40F Nautilus and one -20F Ultima Thule. The +40F works as rated. I have not had the UT down to -20F yet, so I don't know if it is rated correctly. You can by an inner and outer bag, and have 3 bags in one: A hot weather bag, a cold weather bag, and when both are combined you have a freezing weather bag.

http://www.wiggys.com

http://www.wiggys.com/specials/

Stay away from down unless you are rich and can throw money away, or you have a specific dry short (1 week) duration trip.

Quote:
http://www.wiggys.com/why-lamilite-insulation/

Also, it is extremely important for the moisture not to condense in the insulation. If this occurs when temperatures are below freezing, frost buildup can severely reduce the thickness of your insulation, as occurs with down, or the moisture simply freezes as in any other sleeping bag and adds weight.

Refer to the Steger Expedition to the North Pole in July 1986. They used 15 pound chopped staple fiberfill insulated bags that accumulated 35 pounds of ice. The fiberfill used in those bags was Quallofil, a fiber produced by DuPont Co. Even though the fiber is silicone treated, the fact that it was so densely packed in by the quilting prevented any flow of moisture while in a vapor state.
A ground pad is important. Stay away from air or inflatable pads. Get a closed cell foam pad that is at east 1/2" thick. They take up more space than an inflatable pad, but are light weight and worth the space they take up.

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 06-28-2016, 6:38 PM

http://featheredfriends.com/down-sle...son/mummy.html

Get the best. Not that expensive. Superior quality and craftsmanship, USA made, super light.

I have the Swallow model. Its rated to 20 degrees. Best 3 season bag I have ever seen or used.

Edited to add, if you only camp and hike in the summer, get the 30 degree level bag from Featheredfriends.
Old 06-28-2016, 7:31 PM

I use a marmot 20 degree bag for most seasons. At altitude in the sierras, you may want something warmer. The bag is just one part of it. What you wear to sleep needs to be taken into consideration. Cotton will soak with seat and you'll wake up freezing. Wool or some synthetics work well and will keep you warm.
Old 06-28-2016, 7:53 PM

I have Mountin Hardware phantom 0 degree. It's been comfortable in the snow with and without a tent. (not the top of everest snow but end of D-7 season at the snow line.)
My tent is a Big Agnes Seed House 1. Together they weigh 5.2 lbs with bags, stakes, etc...

I use an xl inflatable pad. Can't remember what it is but it rolls up to about the size of a soda can and a half. When you go out of state to hunt and spearfish the size matters on the airlines, doesn't hurt on the trail or morotcycle either.
Old 06-28-2016, 7:54 PM

A good 20 degree bag will be fine for the sierras through fall. Wiggys are fine but weigh a lot. If you are carrying it in on your back, down is the way to go. If you are going to coastal OR a lot you may want a synthetic. Might also think about a quilt.

Western mountaineering, enlightened equipment, feathered friends, north face, marmont, katabatic, valendre, are all top notch. Kelty is probably the best bang for your buck.

Closed cell foam works great, but so do the blow up pads. Love my x-therm.
Old 06-29-2016, 7:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm real happy with my Marmot bag. Well made, good price and Marmot stands by their work. If something goes wrong, they'll fix it.
Same for Kelty. If I recall correctly, Kelty bags are made in Atlanta. (Call them to double check though) Their warranty seems to top Marmot's. It's an almost anything for any reason warranty that lasts a lifetime. Really nice people at Kelty too.
Depending on what you're planning, you might look into liners and bivy sacks as supplements (not replacements) for a lower-temp-rated bag if weight is an important factor.
Old 06-29-2016, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you are cheap and don't care too much about weight, a mil surplus "extreme cold weather" bag will pretty much do you in any temps.
Old 06-29-2016, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag. It has been good down into the low teens.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

There is no standard testing in terms of temp. ratings and it seems like some are just made up. I saw one company which said that their bags were rated to the temp. if you had a tent, a pad, a hat, etc. Each tent is different, so it also makes it meaningless, but if would keep you warm to that temp. if you were in an RV with the heater on as well.

Some of the ratings, like for the military bags, are the temp. that you won't die, not that you will be able to sleep.

I like the Stephenson bags as they are warm, roomy and the design is quite nice, but on the down side are quite expensive and there are improvements you can make in them (which I have done). A friend sleep in his outside in Alaska in the winter and while he sleeps cold, he was warm in the bag.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-29-2016, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
I have a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag. It has been good down into the low teens.

I have this bag as well and it is great! You can usually get it at Sierra Trading Post for a good price.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Some of the ratings, like for the military bags, are the temp. that you won't die, not that you will be able to sleep.
Also, some company rates them as "naked temperature"
(sleeper wearing only underwear)
Others might rated it wearing full clothing...

Old 06-29-2016, 4:00 PM

There actually IS a standard, consistent, verifiable, lab tested, and legally binding (in Europe), rating system for sleeping bag warmth.

It's EN13537

Even though it's a European standard, many high quality bags for sale here will reference it. It's the first thing I look for when shopping for a bag. If it doesn't have an EU13537 rating, the temp rating is totally made up, and often wildly exaggerated.

I've had North Face (got stolen in Chico), Kelty (left behind in Mexico), Stoic (caught fire in Pismo), bags in the past. Right now my two go-to bags are both Mont-Bell spiral down huggers and I love them! I have a 15 degree and a 30 degree. Generally for the shoulder seasons, I take the 30 and my wife uses the 15. When there's snow on the ground I take the 15 and my wife stays home.

The Mont Bell 30 degree is right at 1.5 lbs, compresses super small, I've slept comfortably without a tent down into the mid 20s, and with a little shopping I found it for under $200! I use this bag the most.

I don't think I could just have one sleeping bag. I'm eyeing this 8oz quilt from Feathered Friends for nice weather summer trips.

Other considerations: Down isn't the best choice for every trip or activity, but I love down and to me it's worth the extra effort to keep it dry. Your gear is a system, an insulated pad makes a huge difference, so do the layers you do (or don't) sleep in, so does your tent or bivy bag. Seriously, how well your pad insulates is just as important as how well your bag insulates!
Old 06-29-2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferchris1 View Post
There actually IS a standard, consistent, verifiable, lab tested, and legally binding (in Europe), rating system for sleeping bag warmth.

It's EN13537
Quote:
A European criterion for sleeping bags came into effect on January 1, 2005.

I haven't purchased a new bag since before 2000. I never heard of that rating system. I remember they use to use a copper maniquin and measure the heat loss.

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 06-29-2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
Also, some company rates them as "naked temperature"
(sleeper wearing only underwear)
Others might rated it wearing full clothing...
A tent or other cover makes a big difference during the colder windy season.

Old 06-29-2016, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Even with a test, it does not mean that the number will work for you as everyone is different. At least it is something though, instead of pulling a number out of the air.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-30-2016, 7:01 AM

I had a Northface Cat's Meow which was rated at 20 degrees until I loaned it to my sister in law who promptly lost it. It worked great in the high sierras even camping in the snow. If my knee ever gets fixed, I will be getting a new 20 degree bag with either the new super light synthetic materials, or a hydrophobic down bag. Just like guns, buy once, cry once. Get the best, lightest bag you can even if it hurts because a good bag will last many years if taken care of.

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm, Walther PPK/S, Tika T3 Compact in .308, 20g over/under.

NRA Life Member Certified Instructor
Old 06-30-2016, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Marmot never summer
https://www.rei.com/product/895824/m...FQgaaQod--8Atg
Old 06-30-2016, 11:29 AM

Great tips, everyone. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2016, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

I was given a unissued surplus MSS (Modular Sleep System) a few years ago for volunteering at the local Veteran's Standown. They retail online for80-100 bucks.

What I like in particular about this setup is that there are three different layers of the system that can each be used independently of the other. There's a light "patrol bag" that is rated for +30F IIRC and a medium cold weather bag rated for -5F IIRC. They can be snapped and zipped into each other to make a -30F bag if you add the included Gortex Bivvy.

As a system it's plenty heavy though, about 10 lbs. However, if you only need one of the two bags, the weight goes down considerably.

WTS: PSE Archery Coyote Recurve Bow:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1219505

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

I wanted a little more room than a mummy yet still light enough for backpacking. This Nemo 25deg is what I got. I've slept in 30deg so far and I needed to wear thermal top & bottom to feel comfortable. Around 40deg and up I just sleep in my boxers. I really like the feature of zippers on both sides as it allows me to fold it down like a comforter at home. I pared it up with this pad and it is a super comfortable set up. The bag and pad together are 5lb, 11oz. I found it much cheaper than MSRP at Moosejaw.com

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Strato%20Loft

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product...nsulated%2025L

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"

Last edited by ColdDeadHands1; 07-02-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM

I have a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag with Gortex outer shell for over 15 years. It's great and the best bag you've likely never heard of.

You mentioned Sierras and Oregon, but that does not narrow down the climate ranges at all to give a good recommendation. High altitude Sierras get very cold in the summer, below freezing. However, Sierra foothills can be very warm during the night.

Coastal is different as well, if that is what you mean by Oregon.

To be honest, if you are a camping enthusiast, one bag is not going to cut it. You'll need two at minimum, likely three.
Friends don't let friends vote demorat
Utah CCW permit holder