Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-21-2016, 4:47 AM

Default Sleeping bag...

Looking for a bag that will keep me warm in temps down to about 28 degrees. I'm thinking that I should get a bag rated for 0 degrees because I have read that the ratings are a little off. Especially on the less expensive bags. It will be used in a large tent on a cot. Weight is not a factor.
This will be a bag that is only used 2-3 per year.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2016, 5:24 AM
Veteran Member

Go to a Army-Navy store and get the older style one piece sleeping bag or the newer two piece system. Probably 50 or 60 bucks. Another 25 or 30 will get you a WP bag too.
Old 10-21-2016, 6:58 AM

0 deg is pretty warm. I have a down Slumberjack that I rarely have bothered to zip up because it gets so darned hot.
For your scenario, a square Coleman in a comfortable size rated to 15 deg should serve you well. Look for one at any of the big boxes, or go online. I've bought a lot of gear at www.campmor.com
Old 10-21-2016, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have this one because my North Face down bag was just too small. This one has been great and you can always get two to zip together if you have company.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 10-21-2016, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerloo View Post
Looking for a bag that will keep me warm in temps down to about 28 degrees. I'm thinking that I should get a bag rated for 0 degrees because I have read that the ratings are a little off. Especially on the less expensive bags. It will be used in a large tent on a cot. Weight is not a factor.
Thanks in advance.
I have 2 bags, one a 40 degree for summer and one a 20 degree for spring and winter. I have been down to temps into the teens and been comfortable.

I have Kelty Sleeping bags. I have the Cosmic Dry Down...The 40 Degree bag was $100 the 20 degree was $169. I got them both at REI.
Trump went on to explain;
"that the right to keep and bear arms is a right that pre-exists both the government and the Constitution, noting that government didnít create the right, nor can it take it away."
Old 10-21-2016, 8:21 AM

Default Cot insulation

Cots are better than the ground for my lower back, but the first night on cots, we were miserably cold in down mummies.
I speculate it's because the down compresses against the cot, and there's circulation between ground and cot.
Our next trip we used insulating pads (me foam, she therm-a-rest), and both slept comfortably.
Old 10-21-2016, 8:26 AM

I camp from my motorcycle, and use a small take-down cot. Air flows under the cots, and will be cool ( which can be a good thing in summer), so you need an insulating pad between your bag and the cot fabric. I use a decent quality insulated air pad. It turns the cot into quite the luxurious sleeping arrangement :-)
Old 10-21-2016, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Sleeping bag is worth spending on.

THAT SAID, given a budget of XXXX, I would rather have a nice 20 degree bag than a cheap 0 degree bag. Two reasons:

Very low chance you will frequently camp under 20 degrees.
0 degree bag you will fry in the summer.

IMO features you should look for:

1. 20 degree. under 20 OK, but over 20 off the list. but keep 20's as the target.
2. mummy-type bag. It's that style that keeps you warm when it is cold, even at 15 degrees outside in a 20 degree bag.
3. packs compact. Of course, you will store it stuffed in a large pillow case or similar so it stays nice and fluffy, but when you pack it for travel a compression bag or otherwise ability to get it to compact down small can be handy sometimes. if it's a bag that rolls up to the size of a small car engine, that's no good.

That's about all I look for. The rest is cosmetics, as far as I care.
Old 10-21-2016, 9:39 AM

How will this be transported and used? I have a nice, roomy, heavy Coleman I use when car camping. Love it.
Old 10-21-2016, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
How will this be transported and used? I have a nice, roomy, heavy Coleman I use when car camping. Love it.
We hunt coyotes and pigs on private land outside of Coalinga. We drive to the spot where we set up our camp. We usually stay 2 nights. We have done it in the spring, summer and fall. This year we will go in December. In all likelihood it won't freeze.
Old 10-21-2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
Cots are better than the ground for my lower back, but the first night on cots, we were miserably cold in down mummies.
I speculate it's because the down compresses against the cot, and there's circulation between ground and cot.
Our next trip we used insulating pads (me foam, she therm-a-rest), and both slept comfortably.
This will happen with any sleeping bag. Compress the insulation- down or synthetic- and you lose all R value. It's why you don't put R-30 insulation in a 2x4 wall.

Foam pads aren't really for comfort... they're more for insulation. Same as using rigid insulation in a framing cavity where standard insulation would be compressed.

First time I went hammock camping I got the famous "cold-butt butt syndrome". Froze my *** off even though the top part of me was warm. Got an under-quilt for the next trip... nice & comfortable.

As far as suggestions for the OP, any Big 5 Colman backpack will do if this is tent camping in a campground. If you're backpacking, then look at Big Agnes & Kelty bags. Big Agnes is incredibly light & take up hardly any room in their compression sack. Kelty, from what I hear, is a solid performer as well, just don't have any personal experience with them.
Unless you are from the Brady Bunch.
Old 10-21-2016, 1:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
We hunt coyotes and pigs on private land outside of Coalinga. We drive to the spot where we set up our camp. We usually stay 2 nights. We have done it in the spring, summer and fall. This year we will go in December. In all likelihood it won't freeze.
a 20 degree bag in December is correct. I would add a pad with good R value. I use a Therm-A-Rest Dream Air Mattress (R-6) in winter and a NeoAir Trekker (R-3) in summer and for backpacking.
Trump went on to explain;
"that the right to keep and bear arms is a right that pre-exists both the government and the Constitution, noting that government didnít create the right, nor can it take it away."

Last edited by glockman19; 10-21-2016 at 1:27 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Then get a nice, roomy, warm bag. I think mine is a 20 or a 30. Get an air mattress or a thick pad. Don't suffer needlessly. Walmart has 4" thick folding sleeping pads. Imma get one of those. I use an air mattress, which is great, but those have to be better.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Best-Choi...ingMethod=p13n

Last edited by God Bless America; 10-21-2016 at 6:14 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks in advance.

If you are not worried about weight get a heavy duty bag. Cabela's has nice bags that have a canvas (denim?) type outer layer and a soft cotton flannel inner liner. If you watch their sales, you can get a good deal.

Get one with a big zipper. The small zippers don't open and close easy.

This is a nice bag, but I do not know about the zipper size.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Cabela's now has free shipping on order over $49 with code "16bargain"

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 10-22-2016, 7:15 AM

If you'll be on a cot inside a tent in mild but cool temps, there is no advantage to a sleeping bag other than the convenience. A couple of old Army blankets, carefully and properly folded, should serve you well and will likely be more comfortable.
My 2-cents anyway.
Old 10-22-2016, 7:41 AM

The key to sleeping on a cot in colder weather is a cot pad .. I run the outfitter xl. Cot from cabelas with the cot pad and bag .... I use it for a week at a time in my wall tent ... great setup ... I bet you'll sleep better on it than at home ... next step for me is a proper bedroll
Old 10-22-2016, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post

This is a nice bag, but I do not know about the zipper size.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Cabela's now has free shipping on order over $49 with code "16bargain"

Ordered it.
Thanks.
At that price, I figured it was worth a shot.

Also, thanks to everyone telling me to get a pad. I didn't realize the importance of one for keeping warm.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 AM

I went with one of the military surplus options. The MSS: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/261...FUNlfgodLd0Clg

I got the grade 2 for $140 and it was in excellent condition. I only pack what I need with me, or if I happen to have the whole kit with me, the extra bags can serve as a lifesaver for that guy in your group who brings summer gear to a winter party.
Old 10-22-2016, 2:32 PM

In the hills around Coalinga humidity is as issue when its foggy, which is quite possible in December. I swear it's like it gets into your bones!
Stay warm!
If your camp is above the fog layer it should be very nice.
Old 10-22-2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Ordered it.
Thanks.
At that price, I figured it was worth a shot.

Also, thanks to everyone telling me to get a pad. I didn't realize the importance of one for keeping warm.
Have the same bag right now. You won't regret it. Best non-backpacking bag I've ever owned. Super sized and very warm for fall/winter coastal/mountain "car" camping.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Crap. I wanted to throw in my suggestion before you placed an order. But anyway....

I have a TNF Cat's Meow. It's a synthetic fill mummy that compresses very well, weighs under 3lbs, and stays (for me) nice and toasty. It's rated for 20 degrees. It's also about $180. Didn't see a price range mentioned, but I think it's well worth it. I use it maybe 2-3 times a year.

Although I've only had it in low 40 degree nights I usually crack the zipper down to my waist so I don't sweat. This is also while wearing only boxers. To be fair, I am already a warm sleeper...probably because of all the farts that are set to be time released throughout the night.

Only thing to know is sizing. I'm 5'10" and don't fit in the regular bag which supposedly fits 6' men. I ordered the long model and it fits great.
Old 10-24-2016, 8:54 AM

Default Cat's Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcore View Post
I have a TNF Cat's Meow. . . .
I didn't know they still made that bag. I have a one-off proof-of-concept/prototype North Face Cat's Meow with a reflective foam pad built into the underside that I think I bought back in the 80's (my wife/then-girlfriend worked for North Face corporate during college).
It's bulky & heavy for back-packing, but my daughter tried it once years ago on a car-camping trip, and claimed it as her own ever since (she sleeps cold). It's usually too warm for me, but is a rugged, high-quality bag.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Quote:
... It will be used in a large tent on a cot. ...

You should use the (closed cell) pad even if you are sleeping on a cot. Your weight will compress the bag's insulation underneath you and make it less effective. If you sleep on a cot without a pad the convection currents will always keep colder air underneath you and you will get cold. It will feel like the cold is seeping in from the bottom.

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 10-26-2016, 4:12 PM

i know op already got his/her sleeping bag. but thought i'd add this one
Coleman Big Basin
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it was pricey (roughly $69) when i added to my wishlist, but it dropped to $48 when i purchased it.

I car camp and hunt solo. I use a Voodoo shooting pad as my sleeping pad too (got 2 of those Voodoo, one as a pillow)

Just came from a camp/hunt this weekend and weather wasn't bad. Low's in the 45-50, 20mph gusts. The sleeping bag kept me warm (it's rated for 0*F-20*F), a little too warm. However, i was basically in full hunting clothes, pants, shirt and just a thin hoody. I only kept the side zipped up to my knees/ankes, bottome was zipped up. In a TNF Tadpole 2 tent without the fly (beautiful view at night)

the Big Basin bag is quite roomy, was able to stretch my legs. definitely not a backpacking bag, as it weighs about 8lbs. The bag fit into the sack it came with easily, i just rolled it up and stuffed it in...some work, but it stays put.

I like the nylon interior (fleece material at the feet), makes it easy to machine wash (since i just sleep in my hunt clothes). Keeps dried foliage and other "sticky" things out, or makes it easy to wipe off (doesn't act like velcro)

the other sleeping bag i looked at was the Teton XXL, but it doesn't unzip at the feet. bag is same size as the Big Basin 90"x39"

Last edited by DDRH; 10-26-2016 at 4:18 PM..