Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-06-2017, 4:43 PM

Default What GoPro are you guys using?

I'm planning a couple backpacking trips this summer and I'd like to upgrade from my no name action cam I'm currently using.

I know there are a couple options out there, Hero 5, Hero 3, the Session models....etc. Seems like a lot of crap to wade through for what should be a fairly simple decision.

So...what works for you all? Recommendations welcome!!
Old 02-06-2017, 4:45 PM

Hero 3 black for me
Old 02-06-2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W View Post
Hero 3 black for me
Any specific reason why?
Old 02-06-2017, 7:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hero 3 Black for me too. It was the latest and greatest when I got it and it was about $100 off when I bought it. Newer models may be smaller or be 4K capable...they are all good, just get the features you need and/or want.

Old 02-12-2017, 9:54 PM
Deplorable
CGN Contributor

Hero 3+ Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPoolio View Post
Any specific reason why?
The GF's best friend used to work at GoPro and she gave it to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 PM

The new Hero 5 Black and Hero 5 Session have insane video stabilizing technology. I really regret buying my Hero 4 Black :/

If you have the budget, go for the new 5's. Otherwise, there aren't many significant differences between 3 and 4.

I would go for a full GoPro over the Session. The Session is more limited by its non-removable battery.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 PM

Mine is a Hero 3 Black. Great rig but the new releases are much better I've heard.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Hero HD here (from way way back) - just can't get the thing to break. I've used every generation of the Hero since then to some extent.

The Session is good if you're mounting the thing to your body. For anything else, I'd get a full-size HERO5.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:39 PM

NoPro bro.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM

I have a 3+ black, 4 silver, 4 black and 4 session. Recommendation is to go for a 3+ black for several reasons:

Great 1080p recording. 4k will only benefit you if you want to essentially zoom into an already 1080p format. 4k takes way too much memory and you will need tons of memory cards. It also requires a much more powerful desktop computer for simple processing, compared to 1080p. 1080p can go to up 60fps with the 3+ black. 4 black can do 1080p 120fps but it's only useful if you know for certain that you want high speed shots, which isn't practical for a camping video.

Comparable battery life, if not slightly better, than hero 4 models. With a wide angle lens you don't need a viewfinder or screen, as found on hero 4 silver. Battery life will be diminished by screen use on the 4 silver, and the 4 black just runs hotter than the other cameras, even at the same recording settings.

Hero Session is only good for small bits. I use it on my bike helmet. Much smaller but only slightly lighter than the full size models. It will do 1080p 60fps (which I use to capture license plates if someone does something stupid, or when I eat **** on the trail). The battery life (typical GoPro) sucks, and you cannot simply swap out a battery when it dies. It will need to be charged. For this, the 3+ black wins because you can do the same recording quality and swap batteries when it dies. Batteries are slightly easier to replace on hero 4 vs hero 3, but nothing earth shattering.

Overall, you will get replaceable batteries and all the quality you realistically need with a 3+ black. If you really want a screen and slightly more user-friendly menu controls get the 4 silver. It's known to have issues with the screen, which affects recording with a set of mostly opaque purple and green blocks. 3+ black has no recording issues, and I've had it for 3 years.
Old 02-13-2017, 6:15 PM

I have the Hero 2 and when the Hero 3 Whites went to $109 refurb'ed from GP I had to get one, then 2 AND LOVE em. My son has the Hero 4 (refurb'ed for $149) and I can't tell the difference in picture quality.

ratled
Old 02-14-2017, 12:28 PM

I really don't see the need to go with the black versions unless you are going to do some hi-end video editing...more $$$ spent that's not really necessary for the average joe. I have the 3+ Silver and it does everything I want it to do for how I use it, mostly fly fishing trips. The newer models with touch screen just suck battery life faster. If you use the goPro iPhone app it's just as good and I use it to frame my shots and turn video on/off remotely. I regularly set the GoPro on a small tripod while fishing to get cool action videos.
Old 02-14-2017, 5:28 PM

Hero 3 black as well....