Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-19-2005, 6:32 PM

I think only the BUYER has to show proof of res.

The seller only has to show proper ID.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 PM

A person who moves to California does not need to register his handguns through a dealer. As long as there are no assualt weapons or high cap mags the new resident only needs to report the handguns on the correct form with a check for the proper amount and mail it to DOJ.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 PM

Actually, if the seller is identified as a "prohibited person" during the PPT transaction, he may not retake possession of the firearm once it is in the custody of the CA 01 FFL performing the PPT. This is the same situation arising out of a pawn transaction where the person pawning the firearm pays off his loan and attempts to retrieve his property. Before he can retake possession, the pawn dealer must DROS the weapon (charging all attendant fees, I might add) and perform the insta-check with DOJ. If the check comes back identifying the person who pawned the weapon a "prohibited person", he may not retake possession. If he checks out, he's got to wait another 10 days to get it back as well!
Old 05-19-2005, 5:23 PM

A person who just moves to CA with a handgun has 3 options when they get here, register there handgun, sell there handgun or surrender there handgun all within 60 days. I recently bought a Sig from a gentleman in the Army. He had a out of state license and we had no problems with a PPT. My question is what does a person moving here have to show the FFL to do the transfer? Do they have to show some sort of residency(like a utility bill) or CA dl? Like I said the transfer went fine with his out of state dl but im wondering if it was because he was in the military. Would it be the same with a civilian?
Old 05-19-2005, 6:23 PM

I would still think even the militarty ID was not enough in the state of CA to complete the transfer. You have to show proof of residencey ie car registration or utility bill. I am surprised you were able to do it. There may be some different rules for the military ?

Again, i am surprised they let you do it.

USCG
Old 05-19-2005, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

I was just looking at the CA DOJ FAQ. It said only the buyer needs to show proof of residency and valid I.D. - unless the buyer is denied, then the seller also needs to show the same.

Thought that was interesting in that if you had been denied, then the seller might not be able to retake possession of the firearm he was selling you.

Match Director Sac Valley Vintage Military Rifle Long Range Match
Old 06-02-2005, 2:27 PM
PGBsuperior

What do I consider?

Is it a Garand?

a.