Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Default sks serial numbers? "non SKS" SKS?

I have 2 SKS's both with screwed in barrels, from what I read elsewhere they are '67 or earlier, because of this. Is there any way to determine age from the serial numbers? 6 digit serial numbers with no letters.very few other markings either.

BTW what is a "non SKS" sks

sorry guys, they are chinese

Last edited by coop44; 07-07-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop44 View Post
I have 2 SKS's both with screwed in barrels, from what I read elsewhere they are '67 or earlier, because of this. Is there any way to determine age from the serial numbers? 6 digit serial numbers with no letters.very few other markings either.

BTW what is a "non SKS" sks

What is the country of origin?
Old 07-07-2009, 2:11 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

A "non SKS" is an SKS pattern rifle that does not have the letters SKS on it anywhere.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-07-2009, 6:02 PM

All you'll ever need to know is here:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=18342.0

There are really only five countries of manufacture to consider at this time. As mentioned, they are China, Russia, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Albanian.

First, a look at the receiver and barrel. All Russian, Romanian, and Yugoslavian SKS's have a milled receiver/trigger guard and a barrel that is threaded into the receiver. Chinese SKS's made before 1967 also are milled/threaded.

The serial number of the SKS Carbine is stamped on the left outside of the receiver, opposite the ejection port on Russian, Romanian, and Chinese military SKS Carbines. The serial number is stamped on the left side, below the receiver cover on Chinese civilian production.

Yugoslavian SKSs typically have a six-digit serial number with no known numbering system. Most of the factory and attendant info was destroyed in the recent bombing campaign against Serbia. Albanian SKSs have the year of production incorporated into the serial number.

COUNTRY CONVENTION EXAMPLES:
Russia: 2 Cyrillic characters followed by four numerals. AP1234
Romania: Two letters followed by four numerals followed by date GN1234-1959
China (varies): Typically 7-8 numerals. 12345678
Yugoslavia: 6 numerals 123456