Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Hi Guys! I've seen WWII Lugers and P38's at various CA gunshows and was wondering if we can buy them here in CA, or are they just for "show" at the gunshows???

They are considered C&R's, correct? (I don't have a C&R license.)

Does the stupid 10-day handgun wait/1 handgun per month rule apply to these old WWII pistols???

Could a regular FFL/gunshop here in CA accept and DROS an old WWII Luger if I wanted to buy one from an out-of-state seller/FFL???
THANKS,
Vic
Old 04-01-2005, 5:13 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just wait until you see the GIGANTIC Century Arms import stamp on the side of that Luger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little cold blue makes that mark not stand out as much.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 04-28-2005, 9:23 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CowtownBallin:
What's the point of this Certificate of Eligibility? I've heard that a C&R is no good without it. Can I buy a C&R rifle from a local shop with my 03 or do I need the COE, too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/.../r/89610401611

http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/...21#32810321321
Old 04-01-2005, 8:47 AM

I know I'm sounding dense here, but the fact that the gun is exempt from the drop test because it's C&R seems like in the same breath it would only be available to purchase by a C&R license holder. Not the general public.

A gun being a C&R doesn't do someone any good unless they have a C&R license does it?

Otherwise, why did I get my C&R license??
Old 03-22-2005, 9:52 AM

No, anyone can buy them if they can legally buy a handgun.

Having the C&R/COE exempts you from the one gun a month ban and you have to enter it in your bound book with the feds.

The fact that they are C&R exempts them from our state's illegal drop test.

Price seems a bit high, lugers have never done much for me; though.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 AM

$1400 defiantly sounds high. Typically the people selling C&R guns at CA gun shows are charging between two and three times their value. Also $100 for a person to person transfer sounds pretty high as well. A C&R FFL is only $30. Combine that with finding a better deal out of state and it would be cheaper to take a road trip to find and buy your Luger.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 04-01-2005, 11:15 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A gun being a C&R doesn't do someone any good unless they have a C&R license does it?

Otherwise, why did I get my C&R license?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the case of the drop test it makes no difference who buys it. The purpose of the C&R license is to allow you to engage in interstate commerce of C&R firearms for the purpose of enhancing your collection. The biggest advantage of having a C&R here in CA is being able to have long arms shipped directly to you. You can also bring back any firearm you physically take possession of out of state as long as it has no evil AW features. And if it is a handgun you need to report it and pay a $19 fee.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Hi Guys! I've seen WWII Lugers and P38's at various CA gunshows and was wondering if we can buy them here in CA, or are they just for "show" at the gunshows???

They are considered C&R's, correct? (I don't have a C&R license.)

Does the stupid 10-day handgun wait/1 handgun per month rule apply to these old WWII pistols???

Could a regular FFL/gunshop here in CA accept and DROS an old WWII Luger if I wanted to buy one from an out-of-state seller/FFL???
THANKS,
Vic
Old 04-03-2005, 9:54 AM

I still see Lugers.... without import marks etc..

Some are really nice all matching with holster..
Some are parts guns..

I would go around to the little shops and see what you can find.
Old 04-18-2005, 2:23 PM

hello,iam new to the forum.I dont beleive russia has warehouses full of g43s and k43s.K98s and p38s maybe but there were only 400.000 g/k43s produced(not millions like the others),and some never left the factory,there are thousands over here(USA) in collections and in collections all over the world,the math just aint there.If the russians had them they would be selling them, just like the k98s ,p38s and lugers the market is flooded with..Imports are ok if you just want an example to shoot but they are not collectable for investment purposes.
Old 04-28-2005, 8:49 AM

What's the point of this Certificate of Eligibility? I've heard that a C&R is no good without it. Can I buy a C&R rifle from a local shop with my 03 or do I need the COE, too?
Old 04-03-2005, 3:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've got a nice WWII K98 Mauser with all the usual Nazi eagle proofmarks and such. It looks very nice from a few feet away, but up close you can see that the importer or rebuild arsenal used an electric pencil to etch the rifle's serial number on all the other major parts. That was a shame to see that! But for about $160.00 I really didn't care anyway.
Vic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Soviets electropenciled the K98 rifles after they captured, stripped and rebuilt it, I've got one like yours.

These SOG Lugers and P38s are Russian captures too, most were disassembled, rebuilt, and cold dip blued, then warehoused for possible future use. Yes, that Century import mark IS UGLY!

It's amazing what Russia still has stored away from the last Century. Warehouses full of Nagants, Mosins, SVTs, P38s, Lugers, TT33s, G/K43s, snipers, Winchester 95s in 54r caliber, machine guns, etc .... Import regs prevent most of it from reaching us unless it is sent to a neutral country outside of Russia for 5 years, otherwise we'd be knee deep in these treasures.

Like you say, SOG guns can be the luck of the draw, I've heard mixed results. I think it's good that you paid the handpick fee. I hope you keep us posted and let us know what you receive.
Old 04-18-2005, 9:22 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

I've read a few posts on other forums by importers who say they have seen crates and crates full of German G43 and Winchester 1895 rifles in a former Soviet state.

The government wants more money for these super collectable guns than any importers think they can sell for in the US after paying all of the fees associated with importing them.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 03-22-2005, 9:36 AM

Sorry, just want to clarify;
if you don't have a C&R you can't buy them right?

They are not drop-tested, C&Rs don't have to be, but you need the C&R license to buy them as a C&R, right?

Canyon Sports says they will transfer "anything legal" for $100 flat (includes DROS.)

On a $600 gun that sounds like a lot, but on a $1400 gun, it doesn't sound like so much.
Old 03-21-2005, 1:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hi Guys! I've seen WWII Lugers and P38's at various CA gunshows and was wondering if we can buy them here in CA, or are they just for "show" at the gunshows???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can buy them though the price is high.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They are considered C&R's, correct? (I don't have a C&R license.)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does the stupid 10-day handgun wait/1 handgun per month rule apply to these old WWII pistols???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and Yes. If you have a C&R and a COE both can be waved provided your FFL wants to honor them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could a regular FFL/gunshop here in CA accept and DROS an old WWII Luger if I wanted to buy one from an out-of-state seller/FFL??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but the fees for the transfer can be pretty high.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 03-27-2005, 11:01 PM

Thanks guys for the advice and info.

I've always wanted an original WWII Luger for years but they were either out of my price range ($$$$$$) or else I missed out on a few good deals in years past. Well I saw an ad in a February issue of Shotgun News where Southern Ohio Guns was selling original Lugers for $639.00 dealer price, plus $25.00 for Hand Select or Select Code. Now these prices are in my budget, so I told my local FFL to order me one with the Hand Select fee added on. These Lugers are CA okay because they're considered Curios & Relics (C&R) and are not required to pass the BS CA drop test for handguns. I looked on a Luger forum and they said that SOG got a batch of about 400 of them in, and some are mix and match serial numbered parts gun and some are matching parts guns. Some have nice bores, and some are worn out. Some have nice blueing, and some have alot of worn blueing. I guess it's the luck of the draw, regardless of if you pay for Hand Select or not. I just want a decent/nice looking Luger that is a good shooter. As long as the metal parts are in good shape so that I can maybe have it re-blued later on, the barrel has good rifling left in it, and it functions well, then I'll be happy. I really don't care about matching numbers parts or a certain date or production code. Those high dollar collectible Lugers are not for me.
Vic
Old 04-01-2005, 12:04 AM

Yeah, I figured that it would have some kind of importer's markings/stamps on it. I don't mind that as long as it's a decent shooter and the metal isn't all dinged and beat up. I've got a nice WWII K98 Mauser with all the usual Nazi eagle proofmarks and such. It looks very nice from a few feet away, but up close you can see that the importer or rebuild arsenal used an electric pencil to etch the rifle's serial number on all the other major parts. That was a shame to see that! But for about $160.00 I really didn't care anyway.
Vic
Old 03-24-2005, 6:43 PM

Lugars are ultra collectible not to mention a blast to shoot Personally love the looks. If you are thinking of buying one especially at $1400 do some research on them first so you dont get a mismatched surplus or ex police gun, there are something like 100 different variations of lugar - I used to be up on them but my tastes have moved on to other guns these days
Old 04-30-2005, 9:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gman:
hello,iam new to the forum.I dont beleive russia has warehouses full of g43s and k43s.K98s and p38s maybe but there were only 400.000 g/k43s produced(not millions like the others),and some never left the factory,there are thousands over here(USA) in collections and in collections all over the world,the math just aint there.If the russians had them they would be selling them, just like the k98s ,p38s and lugers the market is flooded with..Imports are ok if you just want an example to shoot but they are not collectable for investment purposes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, with 3 million German troops fighting on the Russian front for several years, there are loads of G/K 43s and other weapons that the Soviets captured, the Soviets never throw anything away. Several importers on buying trips have seen but can't afford them. By the way I said warehouses full of ALL of these captured weapons.

I have to disagree, I think many imports are collectible in their own right, it just depends which ones you're talking about.
Old 04-28-2005, 9:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the point of this Certificate of Eligibility? I've heard that a C&R is no good without it. Can I buy a C&R rifle from a local shop with my 03 or do I need the COE, too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't really need it. You can have long guns that are C&R and over 50 years old delivered directly to your licensed premises. You can also bring into the state any C&R firearm you actually take possession of out of state regardless of type and age with just a C&R, assuming it has no AW features. The benefit of having a COE as well as a C&R is you can skip the waiting period when you buy a C&R from a shop. You can also buy more than one handgun per 30 day period. You can skip the HSC and safe handling demo for C&R handguns. But this all depends on your FFL honoring these provisions which many won't.

Edit: Read EOD's response in the second thread linked by ROKIT88. It's the best summary of CA's C&R rules floating around the web.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Just wait until you see the GIGANTIC Century Arms import stamp on the side of that Luger.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin