Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-19-2005, 9:56 AM

wow, they could not have picked a crappier magazine. Wow, I mean cheap crap magazine.

What to do, what to do.

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 04-25-2005, 5:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bu-bye:
I bought my FAB-10 about three years ago for the low price of just over $200 fully built. Came with trigger and hammer parts, grip, buffer hold pin thingy, and cut down USGI 30rd mag. As soon as I got the lower I took a dremel to the inside of the mag lips and rounded any sharp or flat edges that might catch the round and cause ftf. Each round should exit the mag with a light push of the finger. Push a round slowly out the mag and see if it hangs or might hand on an edge. If it does catch round the inside edge a little and test again. I do this to all mags for every gun and I never have a problem feeding. Many people don't know how many problems can be fixed by smoothing up gun parts. An hour of work smoothing out a trigger, feed ramp and mag replaces thousands or rounds at the range. Most people give up on their new gun before it fully brakes in. My advice is smooth out what you can and shoot it before you take out the mag. Removing it is a big no-no and even if you do pin in a new one the DOJ will know that you replaced it. When smoothing just remember you are just rounding edges not taking out chunks. GO SLOW!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do some of you have a problem with reading or something? The mag lips are bent. Flat. She would have loved to just use the gun. But the lips got smashed just under her own strength.

Send it back to Hesse? Why so the same thing can happen again? Yeah right. What bweise suggested in leaving the state to replace and re-pin the mag is a good solution. CA DOJ will not really care as long as it was never an assualt weapon per law in this state. She does not want to break the law, but she wants a reliable weapon to plink with. FAB10 was the first choice but at 350-450 locally, Vulcan is much cheaper, even with a retrofit.

Nobody gave up on anyting. The mag was crap fro the start. No biggie. Just replace it out of state and keep documentation of the trip.

Old 04-24-2005, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

How the hell did the feed lips get bent?
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-19-2005, 7:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Bill's comments may sound really negative, but he's simply considering worst case scenarios. That's what good engineers do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I guess we will let him off the hook.
Old 04-19-2005, 9:56 AM

wow, they could not have picked a crappier magazine. Wow, I mean cheap crap magazine.

What to do, what to do.

Old 04-25-2005, 2:28 PM

I wonder if someone will invent a device where you can feed the cartridges (from the bottom) into the fixed mag of KA-legal AR lowers as you would a charge up a semi-auto shotgun with a Tec Loader or how a paintball players feeds the paintball hopper with a tube. The tube nor Tec Loader are attached to their respective guns and do not feed like magazines.

Barrett made a special run of M82A1's for the KA-market before the KA .50 cal ban went into affect. The feeding of the fixed mag happened at the bottom of it. Any one got any specifics on that?

Opening and closing the upper two halves as you would a double barrel shotgun can get old eventually. Not to mention bending and getting the lips to the fixed mag back up to spec so it can feed the rounds properly.
Old 04-25-2005, 5:08 PM

Sure there is.
Just use the front pin. Use a longer pivot pin up front and use the extra length to secure a hinged magazine. Make the pivot release like the SKS to open it up. Shoeless are you listening? No of course you're not.

Old 04-19-2005, 6:45 PM

It is not mine. A friend of mine bought it and while assebling the lower she bent the feed lips. Cheap pot metal.

I am planning to replace the mag in nevada at a friends house. All I have to do is drill out the pin, drop the mag, and replace and re-pin the new mag. Not terribly difficult really. Oh and good advise Bill on the reciept thing. CYA.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Schizrade:

What to do, what to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What to do? Rather than assuming it won't function, why not build it up and see if it works as intended? Then, if it's crap, go replace it.. else if it works, stick with it and go!

Turby
Old 04-19-2005, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The internal mag in the FAB10, on the ones I've seen, seems to be much better than the Vulcan stuff I've seen in the photos.

The price isn't that much difference is it?

Besides, if you move outta state you're gonna sell it in CA since no one will want it outside CA, and it's easier/cheaper to buy a plain AR lower outside of CA than to mod a CaliAR...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FastManUSA...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">fastmanusa wrote:
I would drill out the pin that hold the mag catch and put a good mag in and put a new pin in when I was done. I still think the Vulcan is the way to go over the ***-10 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't trust anything Vulcan (formerly Hesse Arms) would do, make or say. Many others agree with me. The fact that they did such a crappy get-up would make me walk away.

The FAB10 is known to work well for some time.

And if you have a Vulcan, you shouldn't do this mag change inside California. The moment you rip the roll pin and mag out of the Vulcan it could be considered a plain AR15-class lower receiver, a no-no under Kasler. (There might possibly be some protection via Harrott v. Kings County but this is new/untested law.)

It'd be just your luck to have a fire, etc. right when your lower is apart on your bench.
An acquaitance lost his AR10 to the cops when police came to his house (his dad was elderly/unstable, etc.)

If you're gonna do this do it out of state. Have some documentation you travelled out of state too, just to establish reasonable doubt if this ever came into question. Also, ensure you re-pin in the mag with a roll pin. And ensure there's no way in hell the mag can take over 10 rounds in it: you'll have to come up with some sort of block in it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 04-25-2005, 3:45 PM

The CA Barrett M82 has a hinged mag, basically the mag is welded to a swing arm. When you release it the whole mag swings down so that you can load it.

I don't think there's enough room to weld a pivot point on a AR receiver to do the same thing.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue84s10:
How the hell did the feed lips get bent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

She was putting it together and compressed the lips in her hand. They bend easily. Really easily.

Old 04-19-2005, 9:13 PM

No, looks good. Just the mag.

Old 04-19-2005, 7:46 PM

Aside from the crap mag, is the rest of the V15 lower crap also?
Old 04-25-2005, 5:11 PM
Veteran Member

I bought my FAB-10 about three years ago for the low price of just over $200 fully built. Came with trigger and hammer parts, grip, buffer hold pin thingy, and cut down USGI 30rd mag. As soon as I got the lower I took a dremel to the inside of the mag lips and rounded any sharp or flat edges that might catch the round and cause ftf. Each round should exit the mag with a light push of the finger. Push a round slowly out the mag and see if it hangs or might hand on an edge. If it does catch round the inside edge a little and test again. I do this to all mags for every gun and I never have a problem feeding. Many people don't know how many problems can be fixed by smoothing up gun parts. An hour of work smoothing out a trigger, feed ramp and mag replaces thousands or rounds at the range. Most people give up on their new gun before it fully brakes in. My advice is smooth out what you can and shoot it before you take out the mag. Removing it is a big no-no and even if you do pin in a new one the DOJ will know that you replaced it. When smoothing just remember you are just rounding edges not taking out chunks. GO SLOW!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 9:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd stay away from the Vulcan.
Get a FAB10.

From a practical point of view, not having a big ol' mag sticking out is useful for benchrest shooting.

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 AM

I would drill out the pin that hold the mag catch and put a good mag in and put a new pin in when I was done. I still think the Vulcan is the way to go over the ***-10
Old 04-25-2005, 6:05 PM

Schizrade, see my post here. Its the first one made on that thread today.
Old 04-19-2005, 1:03 PM

The Vulcan is fine. It has the same FTF problems as the Fab 10 when new. Fab 10 missed the boat with their price-gouging tactic. They were supposed to do that when they were the only players.