Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 AM

Default Want to build a M1918

I want a BAR m1918 but dont wanna spend 3500 for one is there kits out there or any other way in putting one together for a whole lot less.
Thanks
Robert
Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck. I've seen parts kits for sale, but that was 3 years ago. Considering OOW is the only manufacturer I know of building these, I would imagine they've bought up the lions share of kits. Also, I think the only semi-auto receiver out there is OOW's.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Well that sucks...I really want one but don't wanna pay 3500+
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think so as they keep going up in value every year. Cheap kits are gone as OOW buys them up. They own the market the receiver its self. Some people try to use there receiver and there own parts kits to make a semi auto but have had some problems making the set up work.
I would pony up the money and buy one from OOW that works. Mine shoots great.
Oh I saw one on Gunbroker just sell for a buy now of $5,250.00 with out the wood but stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...Item=132738210
Old 07-05-2009, 11:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FTR, there was a 1918A3 at the last Cow Palace show for $ 5K +

I purchased an 1918A3 when they first came out, I and two friends each bought one in a mini-group buy.

Mine never worked out of the box, I sent it back to Bob three times. The last time I got it back it finally went tthrough 20 rounds w/o a failure to fire or feed, or eject, and that was good enough for me. It's been in the safe ever since.

Out of the three I've had hands-on experience with, not one worked OOTB, one was fixed in one try, mine and my other buddy's took three tries, and he's gone through about 1K rounds since it was finally repaired w/o problems - mine, I keep because it's nice to pull out of the safe and watch Band of Brothers with it leaning up against the couch...

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't.

Trying to do a DIY BAR receiver is pretty much a no-goer unless you're a master machinest. Even the "80%" receivers usually end up as paperweights.
Old 07-05-2009, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

My A1918 works fantastic. No problems at all. The one at the Cow Palace, was that one in .308?
I even have a 1918SLR new in box just because only around 100,000 were made between 1917 and 1950's something. Sure bet to go up in value.
Old 07-05-2009, 7:30 PM

So im out of luck