Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-05-2009, 8:24 AM

Default paycuts for leo's

I know that riverside sheriffs and san diego pd are possibly taling paycuts, are there anymore departments doing the same?
Old 07-05-2009, 8:49 AM
Jonathan Doe

I haven't heard about that, although I heard about lay offs.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:40 AM

I find it odd that layoffs are often seen as preferable to pay cuts.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

LAPD is talking about paycuts and furloughs, just talk though

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

We didn't take a pay cut per se but, what we (and our non-sworn personnel) did was defer our contract raises for the next year. There is still the possibility of lay-offs, furloughs or reduced work week options for the county. I hope it doesn't get that bad but if they offered me a golden handshake I'd probably be gone!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Last edited by yzernie; 07-05-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
LAPD is talking about paycuts and furloughs, just talk though
Shouldn't be necessary with sworn personnel. I am pretty sure most of the guys near retirement might just thrown in the towel anyway and if you put in a hiring/promotion freeze there would be a shortage of personnel fairly quickly.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:09 PM
CGN Contributor

SDPD took a 6% pay cut on July 1 and the City cut future retirement benefits for all employees. 150-160 sworn retired the last two weeks of June to keep the old retirement benefits. The City is is already talking about a bigger cut again next year.
SDPD is budgeted for 2132 sworn officers and is now down to about 1800. With light duty and deployed (military) officers figured in, there are less than 1700 (probably closer to 1600) working the Cities 10 divisions. Staffing is...shall we say...poor.

One guy walks over to the black rifle area and starts gazing. An employee asked him if he knew what he wanted. The guy answered "Not sure......definitely something black.............and short...............and tactical."

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
-Mark Twain
Old 07-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

A modest pay cut is always better than a complete job loss. Those like me who chose to move to the private sector any number of years ago for siginifcantly higher pay (at the time) can attest to that.

Moving forward, I would expect you will see retirement programs really start getting rolled back. 3% @ 50 sounds great right up until a city has to pay the huge extra, and largely unfunded, mandates. God bless those who've got the years in and can get out on the bigger benefit. Those who follow are not going to have it nearly as good, I think.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 07-05-2009, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

if its between furloughs and pay cuts, i'll take the furloughs. they seem to be more temporary then pay cuts. and with pay cuts they get more for less. if i am going to be paid less i'd rather be fishing... I mean shooting, i dont fish.

Old 07-05-2009, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandchanel View Post
I know that riverside sheriffs and san diego pd are possibly taling paycuts, are there anymore departments doing the same?
That seems weird cuz San Diego PD is looking to hire 140 officers!
Old 07-05-2009, 1:52 PM

I anticipate 3% at 50 going away for the future new hires. There will likely be a tiered system where those who currently have it will keep it, but those hired after xx/xx/xx will have a different retirement formula.
Old 07-05-2009, 2:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
I anticipate 3% at 50 going away for the future new hires. There will likely be a tiered system where those who currently have it will keep it, but those hired after xx/xx/xx will have a different retirement formula.
I believe you are correct. The problem being that there are fewer and fewer qualified applicants even now with the better benefits. With lowered/reduced benefits, many agencies will be forced to lower there hiring standards to get the numbers of officers they need. That is a slippery slope to a place I don't want to go.

One guy walks over to the black rifle area and starts gazing. An employee asked him if he knew what he wanted. The guy answered "Not sure......definitely something black.............and short...............and tactical."

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
-Mark Twain
Old 07-05-2009, 3:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Absolutely correct. It just seems the overall generational issues in addition to the California publics mentality toward LE have us scrambling to find qualified applicants as it is. If there were to be a decrease in the retirement benefit that would add even more problems for recruitment. IMO, we are already standing on the slippery slope you speak of. Glad I only have 2.5 years left.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-05-2009, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

there are thousands of qualified people getting ready to leave the military after their tours in Iraq Afghanistan. any pay or benefits the PDs offer would be better than what they are getting now.

Old 07-05-2009, 3:55 PM

Sac County...220 deputies to be laid off...they put out 209 as official but I was told in briefing by the boss that it will be 220 now. Plus not taking the raise. I'll be one of the lucky folks who gets rolled back from patrol to custody to fill that vacant spot.

Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07
Old 07-05-2009, 4:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Sorry to hear of Sac Counties problems. I must say tho, getting rolled back to custody is certainly better than the unemployement line. Wish you luck and hope it all works out the best for you.

In cases like these I feel so lucky. I sat down and figured out my dept seniority last week and found they could cut 98% of the department and I'd still have a job. Might be back on patrol or turning keys but like I said, beats the alternative. Our county has offered a golden handshake to the non-sworn employees but nothing our way as of yet.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-05-2009, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
If the retirement system goes away they are going to have to front a much larger portion of cash to get decent new hires.
Old 07-05-2009, 6:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

insane yet the cal air recource board getts full funding for their meddlings
Old 07-05-2009, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Sac County...220 deputies to be laid off...they put out 209 as official but I was told in briefing by the boss that it will be 220 now. Plus not taking the raise. I'll be one of the lucky folks who gets rolled back from patrol to custody to fill that vacant spot.
Not to mention us 400+ On-Calls

Man I hope I get picked up(some where) soon.

Last edited by fullrearview; 07-05-2009 at 7:39 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post
Not to mention us 400+ On-Calls

Man I hope I get picked up soon.
Ya know, I'm sitting here sipping on a Margarita, and smoking a Cohiba right now. My 3% at 30 check for 30 years came in the mail a couple of days ago.
Discounting round-trip fuel, dry cleaning, meals, etc., I'm making more to not work that I did when I was busting my balls. I sincerely hope all you new guys have good careers. I'm glad I'm finished. Cheers!
Old 07-05-2009, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Despite our recent misfortune of layoffs, I myself am very optimistic! I don't get to work for the dept. I wanted to, but I wont sit in a jail for 10 years before I go to patrol either!
Old 07-05-2009, 8:34 PM

Default Cuts

I'm retiring this year & I tell the younger guys that "nothing personal", but I hope my dept does not cut pay. It affects my retirement. If it came to furloughs or lay offs.....I again told them...."its not personal, but business for me". Its a tough call either way.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I'm retiring this year & I tell the younger guys that "nothing personal", but I hope my dept does not cut pay. It affects my retirement. If it came to furloughs or lay offs.....I again told them...."its not personal, but business for me". Its a tough call either way.

I agree with you! Look at what happened to Sac County....They voted to postpone cola's and step raises and guess what....It ended up costing more jobs in the long run, along with losing everything else. It was sad the vote passed with a 90% approval rating, and the 10% of us were chastised for saying it would cost more jobs in the long run.

Funny thing is, some people STILL don't even realize the implications and future impact the vote will have. Just sad.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:26 PM

Parole agents just took, effectively, a 15% pay cut. Santa Cruz PD just demoted a Sgt. to officer, and they may lay off officers.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:45 PM

Talking

I'm surprised no cop bashers have come in and said their $0.02.

Back to the topic... We were lucky our PD has no plans to layoff/furlough/cut pay for any personnel. We were even lucky to keep a pay increase for this year based upon our contract a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the OT well is now dry. Sometimes it's good to be a small agency.
Old 07-05-2009, 9:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodoken View Post
I'm surprised no cop bashers have come in and said their $0.02.

Back to the topic... We were lucky our PD has no plans to layoff/furlough/cut pay for any personnel. We were even lucky to keep a pay increase for this year based upon our contract a couple years ago. Unfortunately, the OT well is now dry. Sometimes it's good to be a small agency.
Why would you even make a troll statement like that! Why bait someone who likes to go there when there is no problem in this thread. Knock it off.
Old 07-06-2009, 5:19 AM
Veteran Member

I think Gilroy laid off a few officers and Morgan Hill closed up their vacant slots and renegotiated future pay increases. I was laid off (non-sworn).

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 07-06-2009, 6:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The contract city I am working for has been fiscally conservative over the last few years and they made just minor reductions to our budget for this year. In contrast, the unincorperated stations in the county as well as some not-so-fiscally conservative contract city stations have taken a HUGE hit. I keep telling these kids here that they just don't know how lucky they are.

I keep hoping the county will offer sworn a 2 year golden handshake and that would put me almost at max. I'd have two words for them if they did that....seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ya!!!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-06-2009, 1:54 PM

If they come up with a 10-year handshake, I'm in business.....
Old 07-06-2009, 2:12 PM

Same here. I told the city manager I was willing to take a 17-year handshake for the good of the city. He declined. Strange.
Old 07-06-2009, 4:39 PM

It seems like state law enforcement officers took a hard hit due to the budget crisis. I know they're getting 2-3 furlough days. Is CHP getting a pay cut or furlough days? What about CA DOJ officers? Just curious...
Old 07-06-2009, 6:07 PM

I work with many state and local guys, and it is getting worse by the minute. A lot are scrounging for overtime that is pretty non-existant right now except for when Uncle Sugar funds the projects such as PSN or HIDTA Money.
Old 07-06-2009, 6:45 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

...3 furlough days. Comes out to, I believe, 14.23% pay cut. Good chunk of money I was kind of counting on.
Old 07-06-2009, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
...3 furlough days. Comes out to, I believe, 14.23% pay cut. Good chunk of money I was kind of counting on.
Man that sucks

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 07-07-2009, 6:05 AM

Stockton PD gave a two year golden handshake and 21 officers took the deal thus saving 21 new officers from getting laid off. Nice deal.
Old 07-07-2009, 6:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

They have talked about a GHS here but I think what they may be concerned with is the amount of people who would leave. We are a large dept (about 1800 sworn) and even if only 5% left that is still 90 positions that would be vacant. I would guess they would have to limit it to those of us over 50 and in excess of XX years of service. I think they would have to survey those of us with 25+ first to gauge interest.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

Old 07-07-2009, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
Stockton PD gave a two year golden handshake and 21 officers took the deal thus saving 21 new officers from getting laid off. Nice deal.
Do you think you can have them call my agency so we don't lose 220 cops?? It's dissapointing to know my former trainees that went back to corrections will not be able to share a beat with me when they rotate.

Deputy Vu Nguyen #1427 EOW 12/19/07

Last edited by J_B; 07-07-2009 at 1:20 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 2:06 PM

Sooooo, what are the odds of getting hired as a new LE recruit? Are the odds any worse if you are a straight white male in Socal?
Old 07-07-2009, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
Sooooo, what are the odds of getting hired as a new LE recruit? Are the odds any worse if you are a straight white male in Socal?
wow, that is just plain halirious. there is no mentioning of your criminal history, education level, job experience, physical fitness level, English proficiency or age but just "straight, white male", come on man, if you add good looking in front of your criteria I think you'll get a job any where.

Last edited by neomentat; 07-07-2009 at 2:39 PM..
Old 07-07-2009, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Do you think you can have them call my agency so we don't lose 220 cops?? It's dissapointing to know my former trainees that went back to corrections will not be able to share a beat with me when they rotate.
Like I said before.....Its more than 220....Us On-Calls work full time too! Its closer to 350 "full time" employees and 150 part timers.

That being said, you and I both know this is not about having or not having money. Its politics. When all the "missing" tax revenue comes in the county wont give it back to the department, instead they will triple it by putting it in social programs.

Falling property tax is a crock of ****! When a home forecloses the bank still has to pay the taxes on it!