Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-07-2005, 9:19 PM

The writeup by Dana Kamm is very good to check for a used 1911.

Firstly make sure gun is UNLOADED.

The simple things to look for, make sure everything on the gun looks original. No ext. thumb safeties if it doesn't come with it. Skeleton hammers, magwells etc...

Press on the barrel hood and check for barrel/slide fit. Check bushing to barrel fit.

Look for cracks along the ejection port, slide rails, frame rails, and dust cover.

Check the safeties work. Make sure gun is UNLOADED. flick on thumb safety. Does the gun fire? Does the gun fire with grip safety activated/disactivated.

Holster wear is normal, make sure there isn't any dings or idiot marks going along the slide from improperly installation of the slidestop.

Check for pitting or rust. Look in the barrel. Check to see if the bore is shiny and rifling is still sharp.

Field strip the pistol. Look for peening or battering along the rails and slide.

Rack the slide. Make sure the hammer doesn't follow. Also make sure with some pressure on the hammer, the hammer doesn't fall.

Look at the sights to check if the sights were replaced, and look at the work done.

Run your fingers along the rollmarks, make sure the gun hasn't been refinished. The rollmarks should have a raised edge as you run your fingers along it.

Make sure the gun ejects the magazine properly.

The pencil test. Make sure gun is unloaded. Take a unsharpened pencil, drop pencil in barrel eraser first. Fire gun, the pencil should shoot few feet in the air. Caution, dont point at anything or anyone.

If you find a great deal, and in socal, and the gun passes all the tests above... don't buy and PM of where this gun is.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2005, 12:33 PM

thanks, thats what im hoping too.
It seems to have had been used a lot, but everything seems colt factory.

Haha and for the user name, its from a short anime series that I enjoyed.
Has nothing to do with my "smithing" skills.
$have
Old 09-07-2005, 3:25 PM

I found a site I was thinking of earlier.

See: http://www.coolgunsite.com/
and on the left hand menu there's a heading called 'Buying a 1911' and when you click on that, it brings up Buying A Used 1911. Written by a guy who has bought a few.

Check it out.
Old 09-06-2005, 5:03 PM

Hi guys,
have an opportunity to get my hands on a well used series 70 mkIV colt (nickel finish), looks pretty used but not too abused. What should i inspect (parts, exterior, interior) that'll let me know I'm not buying a piece of junk.
The handgun itself looks beat up, but i think with a good cleaning and polish it'll be good as new.

Thanks again
$have
Old 09-07-2005, 8:40 AM

(Are you sure your username is appropriate? Asking a question like that?)

The most important thing to look for is the feed ramp, just make sure nobody has ground on it with a dremel tool. Most everything else can be fixed or replaced. If you already admit it "looks beat up" you should pretty be ready for anything.

The barrel lock-up, and the trigger/hammer action are the keys to good function. The safeties are key to, well, to safe function.

If the nickel is gouged through, that's going to be hard to patch, without stripping all the nickel. You can have that done though, and then either blue it, or even better, hard-chrome it after.

Mostly look for originality of the parts, and whether it's been "home gunsmithed". Honest wear looks like it.
Old 09-07-2005, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

For accuracy-

Push down on the barrel hood- it shouldn't move (much)
Check the tightness of the barrel bushing/frame/barrel fit

And check the slide to frame fit.

I think the other guys covered everything else.

"Gunsmith cats".. gun.. bomb.. hee hee

-Dave
Old 09-07-2005, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bear: ...
the most important thing to look for is the feed ramp, just make sure nobody has ground on it with a dremel tool..
I agree, but if everything else is okay now even this can be repaired - machine and install a new ramp for about $100. AFAIK is apparently becoming more common repair with all the "home ramp jobs" out there. I have a lightweight aluminum officer that is in great shape except the dremeled ramp, I think it was John Harrison at Precision Gunsmithing who suggested a feedramp insert. I would still consider a nice S70 if the price was right.
Tim
Old 09-08-2005, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How about your shooting skills? Can you shoot the hammer off of the other guy's gun in a gunfight?

I agree, it's a great series. I have the action figures guarding my safe...

max

NRA Life Member
Old 09-07-2005, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally posted by gunsmithcat:
Gunsmith Cats is awesome. I collected the manga as well for awhile. Never bought too many of the comic books though, although I think I did get some. Only the graphic novels, which were actually collections of the comic book series.

Besides Riding Bean, I wish they would turn Gunsmith Cats into a full-on series. The idea of a very competent girl handling firearms was such a turn-on!!

Turby