Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-29-2009, 1:56 PM

Question Glock 22, .40S&W Cleaning/Maintenance?

I have a Glock 22, and am wondering what, if anything I need to do, to keep it in great condition.

The range guy told me to clean it every other time or so, and I;ve read people online saying that they've never cleaned their Glocks, and that they use whatever ammo is around, including Wolf (which i hear is NO GOOD), and have never had problems with it... I shoot 3-4 boxes on each trip to the range, and other than the first 3 or 4 boxes, it's all been range reloads. The first 4 boxes were factory, cuz the range said I should break it in on factory, but other than that, reloads are all I've shot. I have hollow points loaded in the mags at home, but I don't think it's relevant.

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded, my original question..

How should i clean my Glock 22, and how often should i do so? it came with a little nylon brush, which I've not used yet, but I wipe the "dirty" parts off with a towel when I'm done shooting, but that's about it so far.

Please advise.
Old 06-29-2009, 2:20 PM

Glocks don't need break-in periods, but that's water under the bridge.

As far as cleaning, you should clean it when you think it needs cleaning. I know people who clean their Glocks every range trip and others who still have to clean their Glocks after shooting boxes after boxes of jacketed ammo.

Now, if you are shooting hard cast ammo, the cleaning should be more frequent. I shoot a mix of FMJ and hard cast bullets, so I clean every range trip. I like my Glocks clean, but that's just me.

Buy yourself a pistol cleaning kit and some Hoppes #9 and some Break-free CLP. Use brass (not stainless) bore brush for your barrel and a stiff plastic toothbruch for your frame and slide. Takes me 10 minutes to get my Glocks clean.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2009, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Break in is not necessary. Having said that, I clean my guns after every single range trip (no matter how much I shoot). For Glocks, I field strip, wipe everything down, clean the barrel like normal (brass brush), and then lube using the 3-2-1 method (more on that in a second). As far as Wolf ammo goes, I have shot plenty through my Glocks and had zero problems. Don't believe the FUD you hear about Wolf. If you have a properly maintained and functioning weapon, you will have no problem shooting as much Wolf as you want. Plus, Wolf is all anyone can really find nowadays so I'd pick some up if you find any.

Here is a video showing the proper way to lube a Glock (the so called 3-2-1 method): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by hybridatsun350; 06-29-2009 at 2:42 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 2:37 PM

So, is WOLF okay to shoot through my glock, or am I someday, going to seriously regret it? I don't want to experience a kaboom or anything in the barrel, and having never been around guns prior to deciding to buy one cuz I was worried I might not be able to in the future, I'm somewhat gun-illiterate, though I must admit, i feel like I've learned alot from these forums already.

U guys are a very supportive bunch, and I appreciate your time and wisdom/experience.
=)
Old 06-29-2009, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat1 View Post
So, is WOLF okay to shoot through my glock, or am I someday, going to seriously regret it? I don't want to experience a kaboom or anything in the barrel, and having never been around guns prior to deciding to buy one cuz I was worried I might not be able to in the future, I'm somewhat gun-illiterate, though I must admit, i feel like I've learned alot from these forums already.

U guys are a very supportive bunch, and I appreciate your time and wisdom/experience.
=)
If just for range gun, shooting wolf really ain't big of deal. It just lower quality ammo that may or may not cause FTF/FTE. Some claim that steel casing will cause extra wear on the extrator/ejector in the long run, but those are like $7 parts for Glock no big deal.

BTW, where do you shoot at? Downey aren't that far away from me, I live in HP.

As far as clean Glock goes, I clean all my guns every time from the range. I like many of us, enjoy cleaning guns almost as much as shooting them. But just try to clean as often as you can, Glock is a low maintenance require pistol but that's not a good excuse to negate your duty as gun owner.

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Last edited by Oldnoob; 06-29-2009 at 2:49 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnoob View Post
If just for range gun, shooting wolf really ain't big of deal. It just lower quality ammo that may or may not cause FTF/FTE. Some claim that steel casing will cause extra wear on the extrator/ejector in the long run, but those are like $7 parts for Glock no big deal.

BTW, where do you shoot at? Downey aren't that far away from me, I live in HP.

As far as clean Glock goes, I clean all my guns every time from the range. I like many of us, enjoy cleaning guns almost as much as shooting them. But just try to clean as often as you can, Glock is a low maintenance require pistol but that's not a good excuse to negate your duty as gun owner.
Does WOLF ammo contain lead? The range(Insight) says everything must be full metal jacket, and no lead allowed.

the only place I've shot so far, is Insight, in Artesia. I don't know of any other places locally, except for Burro Canyon, which isn't nearly as close. I'd love to go out in the open, and let loose on pumpkins, watermelons, and that kind of stuff.... but time is hard to come by working 3 jobs, and half time student.
Old 06-29-2009, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Wolf is full metal jacket so you are good to go. Though will be best to call them first to see if they allow steel case ammo. I know some range will sell/reuse their costumer's case so they don't allow steel case ammo.
I go to OC Indoor Range in Brea. Probably the best/friendliest range I ever been to. And they don't care what ammo you use.

I personally don't like wolf but at this time, you shoot whatever you can find.

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Old 06-29-2009, 3:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

=)
I'd say you're less likely to have a kB with Wolf than you are with other brands of ammo because of the steel case. The whole "it wears out extractors" argument is ridiculous. You save more than enough to replace the extractor even if you only shoot a couple hundred rounds of Wolf. Which makes it a non-issue. I'd rather save $70+/case then not shoot Wolf because it supposedly wears on your extractor (a sub-$20 part) more than other ammo.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by hybridatsun350; 06-29-2009 at 3:26 PM..
Old 06-29-2009, 3:48 PM

I have a gen-1 Glock-17 (1987 production) that I shoot all the time. First 2 years I own it cleaned every time I comes out of the range, as it gets older every few months, now 20 years later my combat tupperware is lucky if I do cleaned it twice a year. I never had any problem yet! Although I will tell you only shoot factory loads. So don't worry to much if your glock is not to polished. Cleaned it if you have too but enjoy shooting it. Just word of wisdom.Keep your glock factory stock (except maybe sight change). Most of the glock that fail is because owners all of a sudden becomes bonafide gunsmith and just change all internals without actually knowing what they are doing.
Old 06-29-2009, 4:01 PM

Good news about Glocks is that, with the exception of keeping the barrel clean (don't shoot unjacketed soft lead bullets), Glock internals are not very sensitive to dirt.

I field strip and clean mine (22, 23, and 35 in .40) about every 200 rds, and run some copper cleaner down the barrel every 1000 rds or so. 5K rds down the 35 with no FTF's or FTE's so far (all kinds of ammo). I've fully taken down the 22 once to change the trigger bar and add extended mag release and slide lock, and did a full cleaning (in the dishwasher : ) ), but it really wasn't needed.

Interesting source - the GM/head range master at Front Sight says he never cleans his Glock (as part of an ongoing test, excepting the barrel bore and lubing wear points), something like 10K rds so far and no issues. Do a Google search on "glock reliability test" and you'll find an example of a 9mm Glock that was submerged in water, dunked in mud, etc and fired many thousands of rounds without a failure.

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by barrym66; 06-29-2009 at 4:03 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 06-29-2009, 5:18 PM

After a few range sessions, I clean a Glock as follows:

Field-strip and wipe off soot with dry paper towel.

Run point of round wood toothpick behind extractor and up and down slide rail cuts.

Double dry paper towel over toothpick and wipe out slide rail cuts.

Use Q-tip to wipe out rear of firing pin channel and area under locking block.

Wipe chamber and feed ramp with dry paper towel.

Lube sparingly as indicated in the manual.

After many range sessions, I will spray some M-Pro 7 in the chamber and bore, then use a brush and a couple of patches to wipe out the soot. At this time, I'll use M-Pro 7 and a brush or toothbrush to remove any caked-on carbon in the area of the feed ramp and breech. (I only shoot jacketed or plated bullets in my Glocks.)
Old 06-29-2009, 6:18 PM
Banned

After your range time and if you're not going back in a few days:

Grab an old tooth brush and brush out all the brass debris off.

Barrel cleaning: run a patch with solvent through the barrel, run a nylon/brass brush from the chamber to the muzzle, and run a dry patch through. Do this until the final patch is white (no black spots). Done.

Spray solvent onto a cloth and wipe everything...slide, breachface, frame internals, rails, recoil spring, barrel, etc.

Let dry and oil areas according to the Glock manual. Fin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnoob View Post

BTW, where do you shoot at? Downey aren't that far away from me, I live in HP....
Highland Park in da house!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 6:31 PM

I clean my glocks every 500 rounds, meaning, I field strip it, wipe it off, use some Hoppes #9, wipe off, CLP, wipe off.....done......I do the same with the barrel.......Depending on how much you shoot, I would fully disassemble between 2000-3000 rounds and do a thorough cleaning....to be honest, I just like to clean my guns....it's therapy for me sometimes....congrats on the G22!
Old 06-29-2009, 6:53 PM

thank u for all ur help everyone, i appreciate the wide range of different responses. I guess I'll check on Ebay for some sort of pistol cleaning kit, unless anyone should recommend anything in particular?
Old 06-29-2009, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Dawg View Post

Highland Park in da house!!!
Sorry, Huntington Park.

Which is just few miles away from downey, where OP live.

Old 06-29-2009, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
thank u for all ur help everyone, i appreciate the wide range of different responses. I guess I'll check on Ebay for some sort of pistol cleaning kit, unless anyone should recommend anything in particular?
Go to wal mart or any gun shop and buy a Outers cleaning kit. Make sure it's the right caliber.

Old 06-30-2009, 4:54 PM

Here's a link to a G19 torture test...not the one I referenced earlier, but pretty neat anyway...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-torture-test/

Any .40 caliber cleaning kit will work fine. If you've never cleaned a Glock before, do a search on YouTube and you'll find plenty of vids to get you started.

"Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-30-2009, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure I would call firing 1000 rds a torture test. However, this is... http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 06-30-2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350 View Post
I'm not sure I would call firing 1000 rds a torture test. However, this is... http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...iew&id=90&Item
Thanks, that's the test I was thinking of earlier.

However, 1000 rds in 17 minutes is still a pretty tough test!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 AM

1000 rounds in a glock 19 is one thing. My glock 22 however needs to be cleaned every 200-250 rounds.
I agree with the no break in period, as mine experienced no jams in the first 150 rounds. every time I hit a round count between 150 and 200 I experience a jam. Only 2 jams so far as my gun has 550 rounds through it, but I would suggest cleaning after every range trip. Just from my own experience. I dont know about the 9mm glocks though. I have heard those are more reliable without cleaning.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510shooter510 View Post
1000 rounds in a glock 19 is one thing. My glock 22 however needs to be cleaned every 200-250 rounds.
I agree with the no break in period, as mine experienced no jams in the first 150 rounds. every time I hit a round count between 150 and 200 I experience a jam. Only 2 jams so far as my gun has 550 rounds through it, but I would suggest cleaning after every range trip. Just from my own experience. I dont know about the 9mm glocks though. I have heard those are more reliable without cleaning.
What .40 ammo are you firing? What type of jam/failures - failure to fire, extract, or slide locking back? Jams in 150-200rds is not right in any kind of firearm, especially a Glock! Something is wrong with your G22.

I just put between 700 and 800 rds of BB and Winchester WB through my G22 at a windy/dusty/hot four day tactical HG class, did not clean it until I returned home...no problems and no jams/FTFs.

My G35 has around 5200 rds through it, never any issues either...

Old 07-01-2009, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510shooter510 View Post
That is extreme rare for Glock, I suspect something is wrong in your Glock. I'm willing to pay $200 and buy that defected Glock off your hand.

Old 07-01-2009, 3:25 PM

Either something is wrong with your Glock, or you get tired after about 150 rounds and start limp wristing it...

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 07-01-2009, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350 View Post

I dare all the Kimber/1911/HK guys out there to try just one of the tests this guy does with his GLOCK. I was amazed at the level of abuse these guns can take! I dropped my 22 in the sand, half buried it, shook it off, made sure there was nothing in the pipe and fired another 200 rounds, no problems at all.