Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Default Rimfire Reloading (in old days or ever?)

22Lr Rimfire Reloading is feasable or has it been tried and are there any attempts that folks around the Forum/Boards have posted on (even gossip)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 AM

I heard back around WWII people reloaded rimfire because manufactures stopped producing civilian ammunition for the time. I have looked and can't find anything on how they did it. Probably some back yard chemistry involved.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Banned

If Rimfire supply does not ramp up (drastically) then this will come to forefront and be resolved (again?)
Old 06-28-2009, 12:17 PM

I have read a little on this. Mainly back when Carnivals use to use 22 in the shooting galleries. They would have a machine that would spin the case as they put a drop of the liquid primer mixture in and it dried. You could reload a case sevral times before discarding it. Increased misfires if the case happens to line up with where the rim was smashed from the last firing. Not the best, but it is doable. I'm not sure we are there quite yet.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMGBOB View Post
I have read a little on this. Mainly back when Carnivals use to use 22 in the shooting galleries. They would have a machine that would spin the case as they put a drop of the liquid primer mixture in and it dried. You could reload a case sevral times before discarding it. Increased misfires if the case happens to line up with where the rim was smashed from the last firing. Not the best, but it is doable. I'm not sure we are there quite yet.
Posts like this are what makes this Forum/board so great !
Old 06-28-2009, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Ordering these http://www.thehuntingshack.com/specials.htm ( Scroll down ....second special from the bottom of the page ) ....for 22lr load experimentation.

No need to reprime used cases....no need to pull bullets to have ready to load cases either

Case of 5,000
$95.00 case
22LR empty primed cases

Old 06-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofnight View Post
Ordering these http://www.thehuntingshack.com/specials.htm ( Scroll down ....second special from the bottom of the page ) ....for 22lr load experimentation.

No need to reprime used cases....no need to pull bullets to have ready to load cases either

Case of 5,000
$95.00 case
22LR empty primed cases

Thats cool I didn't even know they sold primed .22lr. If things get real bad you could always make your own brass with a blanking die and a arbor press.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 PM

i've heard of serious competition shooters doing match .22 LR loads from primed brass, possibly in Europe. i could see it happening in a country where .22 LR is the only game in town.

- emilio
Old 07-05-2009, 6:37 PM

I finally got a little time to look through my library. The book with the most info I've seen is by Duncan Long called "Homemade Ammo, How to make it, How to reload it, How to cache it". I think it is out of print but you may find it a a gun show or somewhere like that. Paladin Press put it out originally. A whole 5 paragraphs on re-priming a rim-fire case. It does say it is a real pain and probably not worth it, but it is doable. It also gets into the chemicals for primers as well.

The reloading info is pretty basic though, more of an overview, it only gets into some of the stuff in survival homemade stuff for components, not really a how to on reloading. Main thrust is it is easier to stock up than deal with it after a ban or like know when supplies are hard to get. Still, it is interesting to read.
Old 07-06-2009, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio View Post
i've heard of serious competition shooters doing match .22 LR loads from primed brass, possibly in Europe. i could see it happening in a country where .22 LR is the only game in town.

- emilio
Every rimfire match I know of requires you to use factory ammunition that has at least 1,000,000 rounds per year production and you cannot alter it in any way .
Old 07-07-2009, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BMGBOB View Post
I finally got a little time to look through my library. The book with the most info I've seen is by Duncan Long called "Homemade Ammo, How to make it, How to reload it, How to cache it". I think it is out of print but you may find it a a gun show or somewhere like that. Paladin Press put it out originally. A whole 5 paragraphs on re-priming a rim-fire case. It does say it is a real pain and probably not worth it, but it is doable. It also gets into the chemicals for primers as well.

The reloading info is pretty basic though, more of an overview, it only gets into some of the stuff in survival homemade stuff for components, not really a how to on reloading. Main thrust is it is easier to stock up than deal with it after a ban or like know when supplies are hard to get. Still, it is interesting to read.
Do you think you could scan that page and post it? I found some places online that sell that book but it has some bad reviews.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM

As I said, it was pretty basic and mostly an overview. I have a lot of books I bought through out the years where the info I wanted was on one or two pages.

5 paragraphs on the technique of reloading rim-fires. Later in the book it also touches on the chemistry of making primer compounds. I have other books that are better on the chemistry part. Great to read but not to actually do except in a SHTF case. What is it they say, for academic reasons only.

Mattman, I sent you a PM
Old 07-08-2009, 8:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22popnsplat View Post
Every rimfire match I know of requires you to use factory ammunition that has at least 1,000,000 rounds per year production and you cannot alter it in any way .
Eley, in the UK, has range where they let competitors bring their rifle or pistol in and fire 10 rounds of different batches of ammo until they find the best one for their barrel. Now that's serious.
Old 10-11-2009, 2:05 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

...just found this thread... and interested in playing with the empty cases. Where the hell would one find loading info, bullets and powder though? Any leads?
Old 10-11-2009, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I thought I read where liquified Strike Anywhere match heads were used for
priming compound? You know the old Blue Tip matches.

The rest is pretty basic.
Old 10-13-2009, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Having the primed cases is fine, but who makes .22 rimfire loading dies?

I recently purchase an old Stevens model 44, .32 caliber rimfire rifle. The ammo is amazingly expensive, if you can find it. I would really like to figure out how to reload for that baby to use it for long range targets.
Old 10-13-2009, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
Having the primed cases is fine, but who makes .22 rimfire loading dies?

I recently purchase an old Stevens model 44, .32 caliber rimfire rifle. The ammo is amazingly expensive, if you can find it. I would really like to figure out how to reload for that baby to use it for long range targets.
Dies and shell holders would probably have to be custom made. From what I've heard, finding powder that is fast enough for a .22lr is the hard part. No one sells canister grade powder that is fast enough because, there is zero demand for it.

Bob,
If you think about it, I'd love to thumb through that book next time I see you.
Old 10-14-2009, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

You don't need dies to reload .22s.

Simple hand tools for seating a bullet, but that's about it.

The cases hardly expand upon firing, heck they barely if at all remove the
crimping when fired. I just bell the case a little and set whatever "payload" I
desire then remove belling. Also, I don't see why a powder suitable for 25auto
or faster wouldn't work for loads. 22 Rimfire is very forgiving to the experimenter. (I assume NO liability).
Old 10-14-2009, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
You don't need dies to reload .22s.

Simple hand tools for seating a bullet, but that's about it.

The cases hardly expand upon firing, heck they barely if at all remove the
crimping when fired. I just bell the case a little and set whatever "payload" I
desire then remove belling. Also, I don't see why a powder suitable for 25auto
or faster wouldn't work for loads. 22 Rimfire is very forgiving to the experimenter. (I assume NO liability).
For SHTF subsonic loads, I bet you're right. I use 1.1 gr of red dot under a 50gr hardcast bullet for my .25acp loads. I would prefer using a shell holder and seating die for consistantcy but, a little hammer or even water pump pliers should work.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

22 cases do expand a little. My 22 buckmark expelled cases will not fit in my Savage Mark2. I was trying to make snap caps for my kids to practice but all the brass I had were fired from my buckmark. If you are reloading 22 to shoot in the same chamber you might be ok but don't mix them.

There is a way un-dent the rim using a special pair of custom pliers. I made a set years ago just to see if it could be done. I've never actually reloaded 22lr cases but I suspect it shouldn't be an issue if you have the dies and a formula for a liquid primer compound. But in the end you have to ask, is it really worth it? if you are that worried about the end of times just buy 5,000-10,000 and stick them in a ammo can. 10,000 should enough to kill small animals for a 20+ years supply of food.

Last edited by Bug Splat; 10-14-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

It's a Survival thing.....a mind unchallenged is a stagnant mind.

Like building a shelter with only a knife, who really does that?? But it's good to know how........just in case.