Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-25-2009, 6:02 AM
Banned

Default Ruger 44 special

My neighbor is suggesting I go put some money down on one of these Lipsey Ruger .44 specials. What do you guys think of them?
Old 06-25-2009, 6:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
My neighbor is suggesting I go put some money down on one of these Lipsey Ruger .44 specials. What do you guys think of them?
I want one.

.44 Special is one of my favorite cartridges, and the med. frame Ruger Vaquero is an ideal platform.
Old 06-25-2009, 7:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

No reason to say no. Nice platform and a neat cartridge. If you reload the 44 Special is very versatile, if you don't reload - well, maybe having the 44 will get you started on reloading. A few months ago I had the chance to buy an older Ruger in 44 Special - as I understand it a version similar to the current one was made for a short time - and I didn't grab it. Still regret not picking it up.
Old 06-25-2009, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

i want one... also i saw one love at first sight
Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM

I have "this gun" - sorta - in 357. It's a Ruger New Vaquero, which is the same "mid-size" frame platform. It's also been available as an adjustable-sight variant in the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk Flattop.

The 44Spl is that latter gun bored out some.

This frame size is perfect for the 44Spl and these mid-frame Ruger SAs are developing a reputation as being consistently among the best guns Ruger ever made. When they revived this size in 2004 after being AWOL since 1973, they re-thunked how they built them. Cylinders are coming out with perfectly matched bores all done with a single bit/reamer in sequence versus the "six at once" approach in the bigger frames.

Average out-of-the-box accuracy are matching or beating all other Rugers and give anything by S&W (including Performance Center) a strong run for their money.

I'm sticking with my 357 variant for now but a strong thumbs up for the whole Ruger mid-frame SA series.