Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-24-2009, 9:57 PM

Default SMLE Stock replacement

Hey everyone.

A month or so ago i cracked the coachwood stock on the smle i had (and posted about it here, see the Mad Minute Thread).

I thought since this is my enfield shooter, i'll get a new stock and use that, and then repair the coachwood and have it for safe keeping when the time comes to retire this lithgow i'll at least have it to be original. (cheers to mark for the idea)

so i ordered a new walnut from egunparts.

i was trying to get it on tonight, and there are a few things i'd like to run past you all, please see pics:

pic1:
when i got the foreend off, that metal cap came out from somewhere and i cant figure out where (in the center of the pic between the stocks). was it something used to reinforce the arsenal stock repair which had been done, or is this something else? Ah, the dreaded extra part.

also, there are those extra screwed-it metal pads on the original stock. should i transplant them to the new one?

Pic2:
note how the wood isnt cut exactly the same way; its not flush with the rest of the grooves cut in to either side of the trigger. if you look at the original one, then look at the new one, you'll see what i'm talking about. am i going to have to file that down?

thanks in advance gents.
Old 06-25-2009, 1:12 AM
Banned

I don't know how to help you, but I'm glad you posted this because my SMLE stock is pretty shabby as well and I'd like to replace it. A piece of wood is broken off and is nowhere to be found. It looks bad...

Free bump!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 7:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Numrich usually has on line schematics - maybe they will show where the extra part goes?

I have a No 1, there's a similar looking plug that sits up front, under the muzzle and the nose cap - has a little spring inside - supposedly puts pressure on the barrel? Is yours closed at one end or through & through?

I dropped mine during disassembly - found the plug straight away. Accidentally found the spring at 4 am while walking to the bathroom in my bare feet.
Old 06-25-2009, 8:01 AM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

I saw your post over at surplusrifleforum.

The bushing is for the front receiver bolt that holds the receiver to the stock.

The pads on your old stock is part of the bedding for the receiver.

There is a process to bedding an SMLE Enfield to ensure that it fires accurately. This process is available on the web at this website:

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/main.htm

And more specifically here http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ti18.htm

I swore I had another reference for bedding a replacement stock, but cannot find it. Anyways, the above will tell you how to do it.

-Jason
Old 06-25-2009, 9:21 AM

Bedding an SMLE is more an art than a science. I would transfer the plates across if they fit. As stated above the bushing goes round what is called the king screw (sometimes) that holds the front of the trigger guard to the receiver through the foreend. Putting an existing barreled action in a new stock is time consuming and very trial and error oriented. these things were effectively fitted by hand to their original stocks. go carefully.
Old 06-25-2009, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The pads are recoil plates and are only needed if the forearm is made from soft wood. If the wood is beech or walnut they aren't needed.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM

I have 2 sporters I need stocks for, I can't stand the sporter look. One is a Savage, anyone know where to get the original type of wood stock? The buttstock is in nice shape and I just need the forend and handguards.