Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-09-2005, 8:01 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I cant believe nobody recomended a 20 Ga. Then you can still go shoot skeet and trap to get really comfortable with your new shotgun. Then you go ut and buy a handgun then another............
Old 09-16-2005, 12:51 PM

SpecOps Update:

Just to let you all know, I received my SpecOps stock LESS THAN 24 HOURS FROM WHEN I ORDERED IT!

How cool is that?

Heck, my 10 waiting period is only half over and I have to sit here looking at this beautiful, magical stock sitting here. It looks lonely. It wants to bond with my 870, methinks.

Many thanks to Larry at Knoxx Industries!!!

Ciao for now,

Rhiannon
Old 09-09-2005, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

That's pretty tempting, between the adjustability and the recoil reduction.

What's the price range on them?

Never mind - I just spotted it on the page. I may have to get one of these!

max

NRA Life Member
Old 09-10-2005, 5:43 AM

Hmmmm...

Okay, no mini-shells!

I'm going into the city today to get my first look at these shotguns (Moss 590A-1, Win 1300, and Rem 870). I want to see how they feel and fit me. I'll know more what I want after today, I think.

Can I change the barrel on all of these if I decide that I want to use it for other purposes? Like if I get into any of the various sports that use shotguns? I think I read that you can't change the 590A1 for a sporting barrel.

I'm enjoying this forum, btw.

Rhiannon
Old 09-12-2005, 8:47 AM

You should probably look in to getting some low recoil ammo, like Federal Tactical buckshot or slugs.
Old 09-09-2005, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

I've updated my Winchester 1300 range report post in this forum with some fresh experience with the mini-shells. I'd be cautious about their reliability until putting plenty of them through the gun first. I don't think the 870 will cycle them, anyhow.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 09-11-2005, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironballsxx:
from knoxx to calli was 150ish, from impact arms it was 100ish. 50$ diff. fyi
Yikes! Thanks for the tip, I didn't notice that... Note that $100 is before shipping, and Impact shows it as out of stock right now. If you're not in a hurry, looks like better deals are to be had!
Old 09-08-2005, 2:28 PM

Hi all!

I've been thinking of getting a Mossberg HS410 Home Security shotgun for home defense but a salesman is trying to talk me out of it, recommending that I buy a 12 gauge shotgun instead. My concern it the kick/recoil of a 12g, which I hear is formidable for a woman. HE suggested that I use low impact rounds (or something like that) and insists that the kick will be the same as a .410, and that would leave me with more versatility in ammo choices, mods, etc.

So is he right about the low impact/low recoil rounds easing the recoil of a 12g to about the same as a .410 like the Mossberg HS410? Or should I look at a 20g instead, as another friend suggested? I'm 5' 10" tall and in pretty good shape, so I'm not petite by any means.

I eventually want a tactical style shotgun as short as I can get it (18" to 18 1/2") and am thinking about a pistol grip to shorten it even more for maneuverability, and am leaning toward one of the Mossberg 500 series shotguns.

Thanking you all for your suggestions in advance,

Rhiannon
Old 09-15-2005, 2:52 PM

I called the guy at SpecOps and I just ordered one. He gave me the 10% forum discount, as I saw him posting on Shotgunworld.com. He (Larry) is a very friendly guy! My SpecOps should be here by Tuesday, the day that my 870 waiting period is over.

Huzzah!

Rhiannon
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maxicon:
I've updated my Winchester 1300 range report post in this forum with some fresh experience with the mini-shells. I'd be cautious about their reliability until putting plenty of them through the gun first. I don't think the 870 will cycle them, anyhow.

max
From what I've been able to gather about the Aguila Minishells is that the Winchester 1300 seems to be about the only shotgun that can fire them reliably.

http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells_shotgun_mods.htm

I had lots of extraction issues with my 870.

Just for kicks, I tried firing a couple in my Benelli M4. They would cycle the action ok, but again, had extraction issues.
Old 09-08-2005, 4:44 PM

Pistol grip scatter guns are harder to shoot.
The recoil is a lot harder too. If you're not ready it can jump out your hands. Don't ask me how I know. It was a 12gauge.
Old 09-08-2005, 4:05 PM

a 410 with good ammo will definately get the job done... and if you fear recoil, you will likely train more with the .410

if you want a 12g to really shoot light, there are some options... but it will cost you.
1. VangComp barrel job, about $220 (better grouping, less muzzle rise, less recoil)
2. Knoxx industries stock ($100) (folding or fixed)
together, they really make the 12g a baby imho...
Old 09-08-2005, 2:58 PM

I shoot low-recoil 12 GA rounds regularly- they are noticeably easier on the shoulder than regular rounds but I really doubt they are anything like a .410. Most recoil-sensitive shooters that have tried my 870 with low recoil rounds have been decidedly in favor of not shooting it again. I think your choice of a .410 is probably not a bad idea and I think the salesman you talked to must have a rather tough shoulder. You might also want to take a look at a 9mm carbine- short, light, low recoil, cheap to shoot.
Old 09-13-2005, 7:35 AM

Here you go:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/knoxx.html
Old 09-12-2005, 7:41 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was Hans Vang that I talked to, and yes, the guy I talked to is formerly from California. What a nice guy he was!

I do plan on getting shooting lessons and practicing a lot. I want to feel totally confident with this thing. I don't want to be scared of it, or scared of missing, should I need it in an emergency. I don't live in the Bay Area (I'm in the San Bernardino area), and I don't think there are any "ladies nights" around here, but I might take a really good defensive shotgun class or something.

Thanks for the tips on shouldering the gun correctly. The SpecOps stock is supposed to be adjustable for all shooters so I should be okay there.

Rhiannon
Old 09-13-2005, 8:22 AM

I got an email back from Impact Guns regarding the Knoxx items. Here's what they told me:

If you would like to pre-order this item, simply add it to your cart and check out. There is no deposit required, and your pre-order is cancelable at any time up to shipment.

Phooey!

Rhiannon
Old 09-09-2005, 9:21 AM

Wow, you guys are so helpful!

I visited the Knoxx site and I like the mods there for reducing recoil. The videos are amazing and watching a woman shoot with the SpecOps is encouraging.

I think that I'll try a 12g using a combination of all of your suggestions...maybe one of these fancy Knoxx stocks along with low-recoil rounds (or Aquila mini-shells) and later, if I still feel that I need it, I'll get the "VangComp barrel job."

Or maybe I'll just by this sweet little 870 which Vang Comp makes, called "Pinky!"

ANOTHER QUESTION: I think I read somewhere on here that folding stocks are illegal in California. Is this true? Why in the world would that be, if pistol grips are legal?

Hugs to all,

Rhiannon
Old 09-08-2005, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

I've been shooting my Winchester 1300 Defender 12 gauge with low-recoil LE buckshot rounds, and they still pack a wallop. I'd recommend buying a few boxes and checking them out in a rental or borrowed shotgun.

I've also been feeding it Aquila mini-shells (most shotguns won't cycle these reliably out of the box), and they're not much different from a .410, plus you can fit more rounds in the tube.

Between the higher capacity and the low recoil, I believe they'd be an effective alternative for close-in work like home defense, but you'd need to test them enough to have confidence in them. I've only been through a few dozen rounds, but I like them a lot so far.

My son is very recoil-sensitive (and I am too), and he really likes shooting my single-shot and pump .410s. He doesn't even want to try the 12 gauge. They don't really have the ammo variety of a 12 gauge, and there's just plain not as many pellets there, but they're fun to shoot.

I've only got a single-shot 20 gauge, and it still beats me up enough to leave me sore after 15-20 rounds. It's pretty light, though.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 09-11-2005, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhiannon:
so I finally went with the recommendation from the guy at Vang Comp.
As far as I know, Hans Vang is the grand old man of all gunsmiths to the combat/defense/tactical shotgun field. So if he (or one of the other people he works with) gives you a recommendation, it is an excellent idea to listen. He is also super-friendly, and willing to have long chats with people on the phone, giving out sage advice. And he's a former Californian himself.

Quote:
I think I'll also get that barrel job from Vang Comp because I want it to recoil like a baby, as Ironballsxx says. I want the least amount of recoil possible so I won't be afraid to fire on someone if I have to.
Good idea, although please don't expect wonders. The Vang barrel may reduce recoil by 20% or so, but it doesn't make it go away. What might be more important is to have an expert check your posture, and make sure you are shouldering the gun correctly. You may also want to have an expert adjust the fit of the gun (put spacers and shims into the stock), so it fits your body just perfectly, thereby reducing the felt recoil. There is nothing worse than a 12-gauge that is shouldered wrong, so it can take a running start and hit your shoulder going at a good clip. Ouch.

Quote:
hey, a girl's gotta accessorize, right?
Most likely, the best accessory you can buy early on is a large case of ammo, and then go to the range and use it. Shooting (in particular weapons that are large and powerful, like large-caliber pistols or shotguns) is very physical, and requires coordination of body and mind. Like bicycling, dancing, skating and other similarly activities that combine body control and mental coordination, it really requires practice. And it is really amazing how much better you get as you practice. That's what makes the shooting sport so interesting to me: Most of the days I go to the range, I'm a better shot than I was before; I continue to amaze myself (even though I'm really lousy, compared to the experts you meet there).

One local range in the Bay Area (Reed's) has ladies night one day a week, and there are quite a few women shooters. Some are police officers doing their mandated training / checkout (and doing it on ladies night because even they save the range fee). This might be a good opportunity to work with other shooters of similar stature, body mass, and experience (and hopefully with fewer of the condescending, testosterone-dripping jerks around). The other suggestion I would have is to look for a low-key informal shooting group (maybe a trap/skeet league, although your Remi 870 is not the classical clay gun), and join them for regular shooting. That's my plan for next year: join the trap/skeet league in the office in the spring; this will force me to get a lot of practice with the shotgun, and hopefully learn from the other shooters.
Old 09-09-2005, 6:31 PM

yeah, hans vang made a pink shotgun. it's definitely not photoshopped.

as far as folding stocks go, i think they're illegal on semi-auto shotguns. but if you've got a pump gun, go ahead and add your pistol grip/folding grip.

btw, my gf has a remington 870 and she's 10" shorter than you. she shoots it without any problems. she does get tired shouldering the 870 after a while though.
Old 09-11-2005, 6:22 AM

from knoxx to calli was 150ish, from impact arms it was 100ish. 50$ diff. fyi
Old 09-11-2005, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maxicon:
That's pretty tempting, between the adjustability and the recoil reduction.

What's the price range on them?

Never mind - I just spotted it on the page. I may have to get one of these!

max
Max, Rhiannon, or anyone else here who wants to order one of the Knoxx stocks, don't order online... make sure to call them and ask for the internet forum discount (10% off). One of the Knoxx guys (Larry) talks about it on this arfcom thread.

Note that Knoxx is in California, so you'll have to pay sales tax, though they gave me a break on shipping costs.

I'll let you guys know how it looks when I receive my order. Note, by the way, that on an 870 you have to use the standard safety, you can't use one of the extended safeties.
Old 09-08-2005, 8:58 PM

These new Knoxx SpecOps stocks are supposed to work wonders in taming recoil. They also collapse, so this will help as you noted you wanted a shorter shotgun. I have ordered one each for my Remington 870 and Mossberg 590:

Knoxx SpecOps Stock, check out the video
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 PM

Anybody have a contact URL/phone number for Impact Arms?

impactarms.com is a strange domain name that sells just about everything BUT these stocks....
sin
Old 09-11-2005, 12:08 PM

I BOUGHT A REMINGTON 870 7-shot Express Riot 18" 12g!

It was on sale at Turner's. I was driving myself crazy trying to decide so I finally went with the recommendation from the guy at Vang Comp. 9 more days to wait for it.

I sent ImpactArms an email asking what the leadtime is. If it's too long, then I'll call Knoxx and ask for that internet forum discount. Thanks for the tips everyone!!!

I think I'll also get that barrel job from Vang Comp because I want it to recoil like a baby, as Ironballsxx says. I want the least amount of recoil possible so I won't be afraid to fire on someone if I have to.

Also ordered a The TRAK-LOCK II Ghost Ring Tactical Sight set because, hey, a girl's gotta accessorize, right?

Ciao for now,

Rhianna
Old 09-09-2005, 5:41 PM

PINK!!! I see a PINK shotgun? is this a photoshop thing...I mean...PINK????