Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-11-2005, 9:52 PM

Does anyone know if it would be possible to convert a FAB-10 or Vulcan to .22LR, without making it a single shot only? I tried calling a couple of dealers and gunsmiths in the area and noone seemed to be able/willing to do it.

I already have a M261 Conversion kit that I'd like to try and fit if possible.
Old 04-12-2005, 8:43 AM

Probably be easier to buy a 10-22 or something.
Old 04-12-2005, 4:44 PM

An M-261 10 round mag won't fit in a FAB-10 fixed mag.

It fits okay in a Vulcan, no smithing necessary. It's a little tight angling it in, but it looks like it aligns okay at the top. I haven't checked how it meshes with the M-261 bolt assembly. That and test firing will have to wait til I have some free time. The extra room for the follower and spring in the 20 round Vulcan fixed mag must give enough play over the FAB-10, for the M-261 mag to just fit. Also, the Vulcan mag still stops after 10 rounds of .223 just as securely after removal of the M-261 mag. So it didn't affect whatever internal stop the Vulcan mag has.
Old 04-12-2005, 4:52 PM

Do you know if it'll fit in the shorter 10 round mag Vulcan also or if I have to have the "20 round" model?
Old 04-12-2005, 5:16 PM

Don't know. I only have a 20 round Vulcan. I don't know what the 10 round Vulcan looks like, but if it has similar mag dimensions to the FAB-10, which I'm guessing it does, it probably won't fit.
Old 05-18-2005, 3:52 PM

MaxQ, did you ever get to do the test firing?
Old 05-26-2005, 5:48 PM

Sorry, no field testing yet. Work's ruled my life recently - even more than usual... But, I DID mate the lower to a Colt upper with the M261 bolt in and hand cycled it with 10 .22 dummy rounds - they fed perfectly. Picked em up, chambered, extracted and ejected just fine. Pivoted the lower, put in another 10; same result.

I'm hoping to finish the lower and get out to the range/desert in June. Will let you know. After watching it cycle repeatedly, I can't see how it wouldn't work with live ammo.
Old 05-26-2005, 6:20 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll be waiting for that range report!

BTW, If you're too busy to shoot it yourself, I'd probably be interested in taking the lower off your hands for what you paid for it...
Old 05-28-2005, 7:13 AM

mark - Gee, thanks. What a guy. I hope you'll understand if I don't take you up on your kind offer.

Seriously, good luck on finding one. Did you check with Vulcan to see what kind they're shipping?
Old 05-28-2005, 9:51 PM

Yeah, I emailed them and got a response saying that it's being looked into. This was awhile ago though...
Old 05-31-2005, 1:01 PM

MANY things that don't work "as is" can be fixed by a decent smith. GI 1911's don't feed swc's, ya know. In 5 minutes, that can be fixed, perfectly and permanently. Just because the ISSUE 22 mag doesn't work doesn't mean that a minor modification won't fix it.

for intance, I once bought a couple of $5 "dewat 1911 slides, welded them together with a torch, cut the locking lugs in the slide with a Dremel, put several hundred rds thru the gun, sold it to a buddy who has since put thousands of rds thru it.

A taurus PT22 mag will work fine in a M21 Beretta, after 5 minute's work by a man who knows what's up. Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.