Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-30-2005, 6:24 PM

I own both. The Springfield is way to heavy for a simple self defense gun, and the Kimber is much more reliable with good hollow point ammo. So between those two guns the Kimber TLE is the way to go. However, both are less reliable than my H&K USP 45, Glock 21, or Sig 220.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kalibear:
The SA Marine Operator is nice and so is the Kimber Warrior
Yeah, that's why Iv'e narrowed it down to those two. I'm talking with two sellers on this board that have EXACTLY what I'm looking for. While this doesn't make my decision any easier, it DOES make it cheaper.
Old 06-29-2005, 8:22 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

I had to make a similar decision when I bought my 1911 a few years back. The best thing I can say is go down to the range and rent both models. Rent exactly the types you're interested in. Some dealers will even eat the rental if you purchase. You'll find that each manufacturer has several offerings in the "Tactical" catagory even within the two you metioned. You may find something you like better than what you were looking at originally.

There are features on the Kimber that I like better than the Springfield and the same holds true the other way around. You have to determine what features are really important to you, and which gun offers them for the best value. The best way to do this is to try them both side by side.

Personally, I don't like light rails. It requires you to aim the gun at whatever you want to illuminate or unmount the light in order to use it. Neither option appeals to me. Also, if a bad guy shoots at the light, I don't want it attached to the gun. Besides, if the gun malfuctions a 4 "D" cell mag light makes for a nifty club. Although, in their defense(no pun intended ), light rails allow you to keep both hands on the gun at all times.

Since you're using it for home defense, concealment isn't a priority. I would go for a full size model(5" barrel). It will give you better recoil, and a longer site radius. This will help in recovery, and aiming respectively.

Also, I know that a lot of Poway is rural. If you live within shouting distance of a neighbor don't use jacketed ball ammo for home defense. You'd be surprised at what it can go through.

Once again, it's all personal. I don't know your knowledge base and I won't be with you in the shop.

That being said, buy a revolver for home defense. At 3:00 A.M. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. With a revolver you just aim and squeeze the trigger. If the gun goes bang your doing fine. If the gun doesn't go bang just keep squeezing the trigger until it does. No slide to rack, no safety to fiddle with. K.I.S.S. is the key when you're half asleep.

Now that I've said that, the others will be more than happy to refute everything. Remember it all depends on what works for you.

Whew! this is a long post and only the tip of the iceberg. I'll let the others take over.

Good Luck!

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 06-29-2005, 6:39 PM

I've decided to get one of these guns for myself and a Springfield XD .40 for my wife.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on choosing one of these two guns. The kimber is a TLE with an integrated rail, and of course, the operator has a rail.

My pistol will primarily be home defense with an M3 light. I am set on .45 for myself and my wife likes the XD in .40.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The SA Marine Operator is nice and so is the Kimber Warrior
Old 06-30-2005, 3:06 PM

The Warrior isn't approved for sale in CA.

Personally, I'd go with the Springfield!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:55 PM

If you're looking at that TRP Operator that's in the For Sale forum, I'd take that over a Kimber TLE any day. Adjustable sights, bull barrel, Teflon finish - it's a nicer gun. Be aware, though, that it's pretty muzzle-heavy with the bull barrel and extended dust cover. I like that in a 1911, but you might not.

Also, you don't necessarily need to point a gun-mounted light directly at an object in order to illuminate it. If you're moving with the gun in a low-ready position pointed at the floor, you'll get enough bounce off the floor to identify a target. These xenon lights throw a lot of light.
Old 06-29-2005, 8:39 PM

Thanks for the help. Right now, I have a Rem 870 with two birdshots in the tube. I live in an apartment, so I don't want anything going through walls. I'm leaning towards the kimber, although, I've been talking to a seller here with an excellent deal on an operator.

Tough decisions, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Old 06-30-2005, 1:04 PM

My TLE/RL eats & spits everything I put in it. Even my phunky reloads. You will not be sorry if you go Kimber. If so,I'll buy it from you for 20bucks . It will be used. LOL