Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-03-2005, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, no matter how great a deal a CA gun shop has, the extra paperwork and fees just don't make it worth it.

Buy it in TN...

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-30-2005, 1:01 PM

Quote:
One other area of caution: don't possess/ transport guns on school property. That means student housing - even if it's not actually
'on campus' is a no-no. If the school owns the apt building, stay away.
Interesting, currently I am renting a house from a foundation set up by the school to handle their rental properties. While affiliated with the school, I think it is a seperate entity...

Two years and I will be moving back to God's country... A state where they recognize a few basic rights... Why the hell did I come to school here???
Old 05-27-2005, 9:12 PM

For handgun registration purposes, would I as a full time student whose permanent address is in TN be considered as a resident? I rent a place here, but am just a student (read no job) and all my vehicles and license is still in TN. I had in mind to purchase a firearm for home defense/range use. Obviously I couldn't purchase one in state since I have no Cali ID. However, if I brought one from my home state would I have to register it?
Old 06-02-2005, 8:06 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Federal law says you can only buy handguns in your state of residence.

Does your uncle live in California?

If so, he would have to ship the handgun to an FFL Dealer back in your state of residence. That FFL Dealer could then transfer the handgun to you.

If he wanted to, he could then send in the form to CalDOJ to notify them that he sold the handgun out of state.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 06-03-2005, 6:10 AM

Yes my Uncle lives in CA. I was curious because Turners has a really good sale on Glock 21s. However, I think it would be worth paying whatever extra just to avoid dealing with a CA transfer and buy at home.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:57 PM

It's hard to say....

I guess your best bet is to call California DoJ and ask for reply in writing. You know the telephone number there right? It's (916)263-4887.

Read here, it might help you. Oops, sorry, forgot to mention that this link is to determine whether you are considered a California resident . From there you can determine if you have to put up with crazy laws of California.
Old 05-30-2005, 6:16 AM

I seem to recall some discussion a while back as to whether or not some documentation from the school would satisfy the residency requirement. I can't remember what was determined.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 06-01-2005, 6:48 PM

When I say it doesn't matter since its a private school, I was talking about resident vs non-resident fees. Specifically there is no reason to claim a california residency to get a brake on tuition.
As far as school owned housing, I think I'm ok since the house I rent is owned by a foundation set up to provide housing to students, not by the school itself. Obviously I wouldn't want to take the weapon to the dorms or any school property.
Old 06-02-2005, 5:37 PM

What is the law for a Californian to sell a handgun to an out of state resident? Specifically, if I bought a weapon from my uncle, I know that tennessee has no requirements in a person to person sale, other than having a bill of sale. If my uncle sold the gun to me I suppose he would have to report it as sold to the CA DOJ. What else would he have to do? Could I just take it back to TN to an FFL for a transfer?

Thanks for the help...just bouncing ideas of you guys...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 AM

acctually, you don't have to register for 60 days. After 60 days of staying in this state, you'll need to reg.

Personally, since you're not a CA resident, and won't stay that way for long, don't register. Heck you just got the gun from back home over the weekend, didn't you?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Heck you just got the gun from back home over the weekend, didn't you?
I was considering something along these lines...
Old 06-01-2005, 4:09 PM

Since its a private school, it really doesn't matter.
Old 06-01-2005, 3:06 PM

Not sure about graduate fees at public schools, but residency usually means no non-resident fees for undergrads. So what's cheaper, register or not to register, leave at home, or cost doesn't matter?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hmm, a borderline case....

'Personal handgun importers' have 60 days from date pf entry into CA to register handguns brought into CA... but it seems like you are not considered a 'personal handgun importer' since you are not a 'resident' (section 6 below) and would still be a TN resident.

Quote:
12001(n) As used in this chapter, a "personal handgun importer" means an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) He/she is not a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
(2) He/she is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
(3) He/she is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) He/she is the owner of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(5) He/she acquired that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person outside of California.
(6) He/she moves into this state on or after January 1, 1998, as a resident of this state.
(7) He/she intends to possess that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within this state on or after January 1, 1998.
(8) The pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person was not delivered to him or her by a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 who delivered that firearm following the procedures set forth in Section 12071 and subdivision (c) of Section 12072.
(9) He/she, while a resident of this state, had not previously reported his or her ownership of that pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to the Department of Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included information concerning him or her and a description of the firearm.
(10) The pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is not a firearm that is prohibited by subdivision (a) of Section 12020.
(11) The pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is not an assault weapon, as defined in Section 12276 or 12276.1.
(12) The pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is not a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
One other area of caution: don't possess/ transport guns on school property. That means student housing - even if it's not actually
'on campus' is a no-no. If the school owns the apt building, stay away.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 06-01-2005, 4:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrovent:
Since its a private school, it really doesn't matter.
This is California - it may or may not, I'm not sure. Will try to dig it up.

I believe there are some state laws about guns at educational institutions - and not sure if there's delineation between public and private, (esp since most private schools take public money - scholarships, grants, etc.)

Be careful. I know there was a guy busted at UC Berkeley off-campus housing awhile back - they owned an apt bldg and he had a gun in it.

Bill W.
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA