Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Last edited by dwestfall; 09-21-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old 03-30-2005, 9:50 PM
Yo
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded seems to be the best buy out there for under $1000 for a series 70 type design that is good to go out of the box. I would buy some Wilson Combat mags too for improved reliablity. Yes the ILS can be disabled buy simply switching the internals.
Old 03-31-2005, 7:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
Very nice condition (LNIB) used Colt 70 series are often available for less than $1000.

Early Colt's are the epitome of no-bs guns.

Even thought the 70 series does have sort of a bs barrel bushing. The collet bushings do work though, and are easily replaced in any case.

I just bought a 1933 Colt for $750 less than a month ago. It has no BS features, and is really pretty to boot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got lucky! damn lucky, you don't see many S70 under 1k and those that are barely under 1k and dissapear in one second
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Yup.... the best option you've got out there in the sub-$1k without all the "improved" features is the SA. The Mil-Spec is really good for the money, but the Loaded's got "most" of what people generally do to "customize" their 1911, ie, Novak sights and a beavertail grip safety.

The ILS is completely passive. If you don't want it, you can either swap out the mainspring housing (MSH) for one that doesn't have the ILS, or just make sure it's unlocked, and throw away the key.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Last edited by dwestfall; 09-21-2007 at 12:59 PM..
Old 03-30-2005, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor

If you really intend to buy a gun without the added do dads and you're willing to shop around you can find used 1911's all over the place.

Check consignment guns at your local shops.
Old 04-01-2005, 8:41 AM

Check out Gunsight in Fullerton. They had 3 or 4 Colt pre-Series 80 guns on consignment. IIRC, a couple were priced well under $1000.
Old 04-01-2005, 1:43 PM

PS you don't even need to replace the actual MSH to get rid of the ILS. Just get a mainspring cap, mainspring cap pin, mainspring retainer pin and if you'd like a lighter weight hammer spring. Doable for less than $7.
Old 03-31-2005, 8:55 PM
slowjon

Check out the Hoplite,Inc. add in Shotgun News. They have Springfield PX9109L, the Loaded model for $599. I just bought one a few months ago and love it! That was the best price I could find on one. Even with shipping, it was cheaper than what my dealer could sell one for. This has all the tricked out parts and only the ILS to deal with, which is not a big deal.
Old 03-31-2005, 4:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
Very nice condition (LNIB) used Colt 70 series are often available for less than $1000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are? Have you looked for one in SoKal lately?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 04-01-2005, 8:50 AM

I see at least one 70-S Colt at every show I go to. I bet there's some at Vallejo tomorrow.
Sometimes Commanders, sometimes full size.
Usually not original, either the sights were chaned (like mine) or a beavertail was added.
Usually the changes are reversible. The prices do hover just under the $1000 mark.

I'm still just a little biased against Springfield, and can't abide the Kimber extra stuff. Getting to be slim pickin's under $1K that's for sure, with my self-imposed constraints.

Used Kimber Series One could be a consideration too. They are less than Colt's, are fine guns, the early ones don't have much bs. Unless you consider extended safety, front cocking serrations, etc. bs features.
Old 03-31-2005, 8:24 AM

Very nice condition (LNIB) used Colt 70 series are often available for less than $1000.

Early Colt's are the epitome of no-bs guns.

Even thought the 70 series does have sort of a bs barrel bushing. The collet bushings do work though, and are easily replaced in any case.

I just bought a 1933 Colt for $750 less than a month ago. It has no BS features, and is really pretty to boot.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Springfield Milspec in Northern Ca runs 399.00. For a few dollars more for a match grade Barrel & Bushing Then your in business with a great shooter. R.
Old 03-30-2005, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

The Springfield Milspec is right around $500 and sometimes less, and is about as no-BS as you'll get on a new 1911. It does have the ILS, but it's not very obtrusive, and mine's never caused any trouble.

Aside from that, it's got a lowered ejection port and better sights than the original GI 1911A1, but those are both minor changes and useful ones.

The Springfield GI is even closer to the USGI, and costs less than the Milspec. It just has the ILS; ejection port and sights are very close to GI.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-31-2005, 8:30 AM

For under $1000, your best choice in a 1911 without a firing pin safety would be a Springfield.