Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-20-2009, 7:28 AM

Default What else do I need?

Yesterday I bought a rcbs rock chucker master reloading set with dies bullet pullers all that good stuff from a gentlman
and it also came with around 900 .45 bullets and about 6-700 casings as well as like 800 primers.
my questions are besides powder, what else do I need?
do I need a different barrel for my xd to shoot lead rounds that arent jacketed?

does anyone want to sell me some stuff to reload 9mm?
Old 06-20-2009, 7:42 AM

Take a look at EBAY for your 9mm dies. I just received my Lee Carbide 4 die set from a gentleman named dbRouch. It shipped within a day. Considering the fact that everywhere else has most reloading dies on back order, It was worth the few extra dollars to have the product on hand. Good luck
Old 06-20-2009, 7:52 AM

Reloader
Scale
Reloading guide
Cases
Bullets
Powder
Primers

That's all you need and it sounds like you have all of those so you are good. The only thing I would add is a good set of calipers so you can get the OAL of the round correct. When I first started off I just set my bullet seating die using a factory round which fed well in my 1911. Now a days, you can find accurate inexpensive calipers at most hardware stores. I bought a digital one from Harbor freight for $20 and it serves it's purpose.

I am not sure about needing to replace the barrel on a XD to shoot hardcast , but for actual lead bullets which are not readily available, you may need to. However, if you are shooting .45 which is a slow moving round I doubt you have to.

I started with the same exact kit 20 years ago. Loading on a single stage press is the best way to learn the in's and out's of reloading. Once you feel comfortable with your skill I would add a progressive upgrade to your rockchucker. The RCBS upgrade is called the Piggyback IV or it may be V now. The Piggyback gives you a 5 station progressive reloader that for me has worked so well over the past 20 years that I haven't felt the need to replace it.
Old 06-20-2009, 9:24 PM

You are going to need a trimmer, and maybe a headspace gauge so you can properly set up the dies rather than just guessing by threading the die till it hits the shell holder, then turning it another 1/2 turn
Old 06-20-2009, 9:33 PM

Don't bother with a trimmer its unnecessary for 45. Get a tumbler to clean your brass and some walnut or corncob media. How are you going to seat the primers? Get one of those hand priming jobs from lee or rcbs.
Old 06-20-2009, 9:44 PM

For loading pistol ammo, you're going to need a case tumbler and media separator. Don't know what's included in the RCBS master kit but I'm going to assume it has everything to resize, deprime, weigh powder charges, seat primer, charge case and seat/crimp the bullet. If it doesn't, then you need to get it. If the kit doesn't have it, get a powder measure (no way you're going to weight every charge and keep your sanity)

Besides that, you're going to need a lot of time and patience to load using a single-stage press.

The best plans do not survive first contact with the enemy.

Si, Yo Hablo Ingles, kind of.

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_SHARPSHOOTER View Post
Yesterday I bought a rcbs rock chucker master reloading set with dies bullet pullers all that good stuff from a gentlman
and it also came with around 900 .45 bullets and about 6-700 casings as well as like 800 primers.
my questions are besides powder, what else do I need?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 AM

Here is a list of everything I think you’re missing:
1. Tumbler http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93252
2. Tumbler media & wax (for the bling!) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92155
3. Case gage’s (9mm & .45)
4. Primer flip try
5. Primer holding tubes (small and large)
6. You might need a caliper conversion kit (??) Different shell plate for each caliper you planning on reloading??.
7. Small and large primers (??) (Your 9mm is a small pistol Vrs your 45 is a large pistol primer)
8. Storage containers! You will need some place to store all of your reloads!..

OOo and one of these!.
Digital micrometer / caliper http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98851

Your first loads shouldn’t consist of more than 20 rounds per test powder gr. Start your test load in the lower to middle field of the FPS / velocity and gradually build up from there.

You will find that you’ll be able to obtain less kick and greater accuracy with your reloads..

Best of luck and for god sake please! PLEASE Read your manuals, reference at least 2-3 different sources ie (powder & bullet manufactures specs) and at least one of the following manuals (Hornady 7th, Lyman 49th, Sierra 4th) before deciding on a load or ask questions!..

Have fun, stay safe, read everything you can and best of luck!..

P.S.
When I shoot lead bullets out of my Glock (I use an aftermarket barrel) I don’t know if XD recommends it or not (??) I would call them on Monday and ask what they recommend!.. (Just my two cents)..

Last edited by tdc57; 06-21-2009 at 1:00 AM..
Old 06-21-2009, 7:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrich View Post
You are going to need a trimmer, and maybe a headspace gauge so you can properly set up the dies rather than just guessing by threading the die till it hits the shell holder, then turning it another 1/2 turn

I have never heard of setting dies with a headspace gauge.

Bottleneck cartridge dies should be set to your individual chamber dimensions except for production autoloaders and then you adjust them to completely full length resize the cases by setting them as the die manufacturer recommends.

For straight walled cartridges (like the OPs 45 ACP) resizing dies don't adjust for headspace at all, they are just tapered cylinders.

Last edited by Fjold; 06-21-2009 at 7:47 AM..
Old 06-21-2009, 3:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrich View Post
Not for straightwalled pistol cartrdges. A trimmer is completely superfluous. Pistols almost entirely (except for rotating-bolt types) headspace on the case mouth. Their overall length doesn't matter. And neither do the high pressure rounds, again because of the straight-wall case design. The only way the brass stretch out at all is if the relaoder is consistently overapplying their crimps. And then they've got much more important problems to worry about.
Old 06-21-2009, 7:48 PM

Talking

My bad....just realized he was talking about pistol reloading...sorry I assumed he was gonna do rifle as well. What I meant by using a case gauge was...measuring your fired brass and adjusting your die to bump the shoulder back .002 or so Maybe I should have said "hornady headspace kit (lnl)" is that right? anyway you guys know what I meant..right?

Last edited by bcrich; 06-21-2009 at 7:53 PM.. Reason: hornady headspace LNL kit
Old 06-21-2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post

You can find all this stuff for free on the "internets". Most powder manufactures have load data on their websites.
Old 06-21-2009, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
You can find all this stuff for free on the "internets". Most powder manufactures have load data on their websites.
That's no excuse to avoid buying a manual.
There is so much good reference info in a real manual that you won't find easily on the web because you don't yet know what you don't know.

Don't EVER condone someone reloading without at least one real printed manual on the bench.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC