Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-06-2005, 7:09 PM

Just a short FYI- gal at United was very informed as to the process; she had me put the orange tag on the outside of the locked pelican case I was transporting a small pistol in; then after checking me in, a porter carried my locked bag & boarding pass to the TSA x-ray guys; they ran the bag thru the machine & put the hologram sticker on it. No sweat! The only thing that happened after that was when I changed planes in Denver, one of the flight crew showed me a hand written note on a napkin asking if I was "LEO or FAM" (federal air marshal)? I said it's probably the gun I had in my checked baggage. My name was noted somehow on the passenger list she had. They thought I had the gun on me. Anyway, no problems overall.. Thanks to all who responded. pm
Old 05-06-2005, 7:09 PM

Just a short FYI- gal at United was very informed as to the process; she had me put the orange tag on the outside of the locked pelican case I was transporting a small pistol in; then after checking me in, a porter carried my locked bag & boarding pass to the TSA x-ray guys; they ran the bag thru the machine & put the hologram sticker on it. No sweat! The only thing that happened after that was when I changed planes in Denver, one of the flight crew showed me a hand written note on a napkin asking if I was "LEO or FAM" (federal air marshal)? I said it's probably the gun I had in my checked baggage. My name was noted somehow on the passenger list she had. They thought I had the gun on me. Anyway, no problems overall.. Thanks to all who responded. pm
Old 05-13-2005, 8:38 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt-man:
I have done exactly that numerous times at Southwest ticket counters. Nobody even blinked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly right. I don't know *what* those ticket agents see, but they have never flinched at a gun. One actually asked "can pick it up?" I said "Sure!" and she got a big grin on her face. Nice, unflappable folks IME.
Old 05-12-2005, 7:44 PM

I have done exactly that numerous times at Southwest ticket counters. Nobody even blinked.

Mr. Weise is correct - tag goes INSIDE the case. The Southwest personnel I've dealt with have all placed the tag inside the case (in addition to being competent & professional through the whole process).
Old 05-07-2005, 5:37 AM

they called my name on the pa, I raised my hand & she brought it to me. it was a smallish plane; canidair of sorts. I saw the manifest with a note I couldn't read by my name. It's not that she had a reaction if I was or wasn't what she asked, I think they were just curious as to what was what. When I told her I checked a gun, that was the end of it.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">bwiese wrote:
At least the airline girl didn't wanna make you unlock it and demostrate it was unloaded at the ticket counter! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Matt-man wrote:
...done exactly that numerous times at Southwest ticket counters. Nobody even blinked.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least in California, I'd really be careful about unlocking & opening a locked case in an airport with either handguns or CA assault weapons.

The gate agent/clerk has no authority to make you violate CA law: remember, in CA both handguns & AWs have to be locked in transit. Most counter/check-in areas of airports are city/county territory and state + local laws of course still apply.

If you were in a TSA-controlled area and/or doing things for/with the TSA inspection, that's one thing. They have some law enforcement powers, right of inspection, etc.

Now that I know a bit more about these things I refuse to open case for a counter agent's inspection. Even when I put in the airlines' red/orange "Firearms Declared" tag, I don't unlock the case: instead, I unlatch one edge and slip tag into the small groove opened up between the case halves.

In fact I think all airlines' rules merely require you to attest that your gun is
unloaded, and do not require you to 'prove' it is.

Once I asked a gate agent girl: "Honey, how would you know what an unloaded vs. loaded gun looks like?" When she replied, "We do this all the time, no problem" to my stubborn refusal to commit a crime (opening case), I asked her if her management authorized her to assist in commission of felonies, if she was a lawyer, and if she knew that there were a variety of CA laws applying to handguns and
certain types of rifles I was transporting.

That got things moving my way.

However, I did this in a very friendly manner, and kept a smile on my face.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-12-2005, 9:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well that's good it turned out OK, but the orange "Firearms Declared" tag goes on the INSIDE of the case. You should've insisted that it be slipped into the case.

BATF (+FAA ?) rules prohibit airline staff, security, etc. from putting ANY external, distinguishing marks on luggage, cases, etc. that contain firearms. They don't want a big "STEAL ME" sticker on there. (Though my Pelican & Starlite rifle cases are pretty good indicators there's guns in there!)

At least the airline girl didn't wanna make you unlock it and demostrate it was unloaded at the ticket counter!

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 PM

That's encouraging.

Curious about the note. Did the flight attendant write it or do you think she was bringing it to you from someone else (like a "FAM") already on the plane?

When you replied "No" did she seem cool with that?
Old 05-12-2005, 5:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
At least the airline girl didn't wanna make you unlock it and demostrate it was unloaded at the ticket counter!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't that have created quite a scene! I can just see the hysterical crowds now....

John