Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:50 AM

sounds like much ado about nothing. the law is not so different here.

would you prefer that people could walk around carrying butcher knives just because they want to? who the heck would do that? why?

why carry one concealed?

if you have one and a good reason to carry it, no sweat.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by trever1t:
The true problem is society and not the things one can hold in the hand to impliment pain or death.
With their logic (same here in CA) cricket bats will soon need be registered and after that? <span class="ev_code_red">Maybe loose rocks will be illegal!</span>
Should be. Those things can be deadly.

This is not the first time, either.
Old 05-28-2005, 5:31 PM

And that is the scary part. the incremental limitation of the public to buy anything remotely dangerous. Step by step they force the population into an increasinly smaller box to be dusted off and used for the "cause du jour"
Old 05-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

Doctors say knives are too pointed
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.
A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

They consulted 10 top chefs from around the UK, and found such knives have little practical value in the kitchen.

None of the chefs felt such knives were essential, since the point of a short blade was just as useful when a sharp end was needed.

The researchers said a short pointed knife may cause a substantial superficial wound if used in an assault - but is unlikely to penetrate to inner organs.

Kitchen knives can inflict appalling wounds

In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".

The use of knives is particularly worrying amongst adolescents, say the researchers, reporting that 24% of 16-year-olds have been shown to carry weapons, primarily knives.

The study found links between easy access to domestic knives and violent assault are long established.

French laws in the 17th century decreed that the tips of table and street knives be ground smooth.

A century later, forks and blunt-ended table knives were introduced in the UK in an effort to reduce injuries during arguments in public eating houses.

The researchers say legislation to ban the sale of long pointed knives would be a key step in the fight against violent crime.

"The Home Office is looking for ways to reduce knife crime.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure that would have this effect."

Government response

Home Office spokesperson said there were already extensive restrictions in place to control the sale and possession of knives.

"The law already prohibits the possession of offensive weapons in a public place, and the possession of knives in public without good reason or lawful authority, with the exception of a folding pocket knife with a blade not exceeding three inches.

"Offensive weapons are defined as any weapon designed or adapted to cause injury, or intended by the person possessing them to do so.

"An individual has to demonstrate that he had good reason to possess a knife, for example for fishing, other sporting purposes or as part of his profession (e.g. a chef) in a public place.

"The manufacture, sale and importation of 17 bladed, pointed and other offensive weapons have been banned, in addition to flick knives and gravity knives."

A spokesperson for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: "ACPO supports any move to reduce the number of knife related incidents, however, it is important to consider the practicalities of enforcing such changes."

sigh not surprised though.

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 05-29-2005, 5:39 AM

The true problem is society and not the things one can hold in the hand to impliment pain or death.
With their logic (same here in CA) cricket bats will soon need be registered and after that? Maybe loose rocks will be illegal!

What really angers me is that the people cannot see that by making somthing illegal or controlled has no positive effect on the rate of violence. Only education will change humanity's mentality.

Thanks for the space.
Old 05-28-2005, 6:02 PM

Quote:
In contrast, a pointed long blade pierces the body like "cutting into a ripe melon".
What if you need to cut into a ripe melon? With summer coming up, god knows there's watermelon to be eaten.

This is one of those situations you'd swear were so ridiculous, it had to be a joke. You could probably replace "knife" with "AR15" or ".50 BMG" and find an almost identical article in past news here. Scary thought.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amendment II:...They are now talking about banning the sale to the public of butcher knives!....
I most sincerely nhope to God that they do so, ASAP, and I hope it happens here too, ASAP.

In law school, I had to sit, hour after hour, listening to unwitting leftists smugly prattle on about how gun control wasn't about politics, it was about avoiding social harms, and that if knives were ever deemed to be socially harmful, then they would also be subject to same sort of reasonable, rational, sensible controls as guns. Of course, that was easy to say because nobody ever thought it would come to pass.

The sooner those smug, dishonest, elitist snobs are turned away from their local overpriced Williams Sonoma or Henckels cutlery store because they haven't established cause to purchase their overpriced butcher knife, the better. I hope they have a stroke right then and there. I would even settle for a good old-fashioned conniption fit if I can watch it happen.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They are not talking about banning the carrying of butcher knives. That is already banned.

They are now talking about banning the sale to the public of butcher knives! They are saying that the public has no need for long knives with pointed tips.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 05-30-2005, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Basura Blanca:
Should be. Those things can be deadly.

This is not the first time, either.[/QUOTE]

That is truely disgusting.
I had some little punk throw a rock thru my windshield in Ben Lomond, was all i could do to not BTLS out of him while waiting for the police.
Brick sized rock went clear into the passenger seat, scared me all to hell!