Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Default Any LAPD in here?

So ive began the application process for LAPD and I was wondering if there was any officers who could give me some insight or tell me any useful things about the department. Basically just things that you would be help full to a 20 year old trying to get hired by LAPD. I also have have completed 2 years of college at CSULB. Should I finnish school first? Is it possible to really go to school at be a cop at the same time your first few years in? The requiter guy who came to speak to my class said they would pay for school, is there any catch to this? As of now I have passed my written test, I got the PAT in july and the background interview in august.

Last edited by drummerdude1188; 06-15-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

I would recommend at least 2yrs of college, but would not put off joining to finish college. you already have that so you are ahead of most. You will also get some credit for the academy. There is no way you can go to school while you are in the academy and for your 1 year of probation after the academy for a total of just over 1 1/2 years. when you are done with probation you will be so excited that you will not want to go to school for about a year at least.

at about 3 years on the job you will start thinking about promotion and maybe finish your degree on your off time. You need 2years of college to make Detective or Sergeant.

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....
Old 06-16-2009, 9:27 AM

Two of the guys I used to work with got hired at LAPD.

One guy had a bachelors. The other an associates.

I know a very cool officer lady who works at Downey PD that was originally from LAPD. I saw her drop down into front lean and rest position while pregnant one time...knocked out 25 push ups. Made all the tough guys in the explorer post feel like girly men.

EDIT: I would finish school. Go on a lot of ride-a-longs. Maybe get a non-sworn job while going to school. THEN I would start applying at more than one department.

Who knows...maybe police work isn't for you...it would be nice to find that out sooner than later...

Last edited by bubbagump; 06-16-2009 at 9:30 AM..
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
EDIT: I would finish school. Go on a lot of ride-a-longs. Maybe get a non-sworn job while going to school. THEN I would start applying at more than one department.

Who knows...maybe police work isn't for you...it would be nice to find that out sooner than later...
See I thought about that, but them Im getting my degree in criminal justice so if police work is not for me then id like to find out sooner rather than later and not get a worthless degree. Its a tough choice.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Stay in school and become a reserve-- that way you can try police work but stay on track for your degree.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-101 View Post
See I thought about that, but them Im getting my degree in criminal justice so if police work is not for me then id like to find out sooner rather than later and not get a worthless degree. Its a tough choice.
I was going to get my Bachelors in Criminal Justice, too. Instead, I'm going to get my AA in crim (since I did all the required classes at Rio Hondo). If I get a BA its going to be in History or Geography. I don't plan on being done with school any time soon. I also don't plan on applying at any departments any time soon.

Working at a department before you become an officer makes you aware of how everything works. The hours. The people (both the public and the people you work with). The paperwork. The BS. The good ole boys & the bunboys. Court. You learn a whole lot.

I learned that I don't wanna end up working for some lame*** department like Newport Beach. Sure...they got nice beaches and lots of chicks...but where is all the action at? Its in the ghetto...and most departments in the ghetto don't have good reputations. Some are under federal investigation...

And I don't want to be a CHPy.

The Sheriffs. Don't wanna be stuck in the jails.

So that leaves me the Federal level. And for that...you need a degree.

One things for sure though...LAPD has a lot of cool assignments...dangerous neighborhoods...and opportunities to promote...if I went loco in the coco...LAPD would be at the top of my list of departments to apply at...
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM

I was a civilian with the LAPD. I used to work the detail that processed tuition reimbursement (for college).

When determining on when you want to complete your education ( 1) before or 2) after joining) you should take into consideration that all or part of your tuition can be paid by the LAPD.
Old 06-16-2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-101 View Post
So ive began the application process for LAPD and I was wondering if there was any officers who could give me some insight or tell me any useful things about the department. Basically just things that you would be help full to a 20 year old trying to get hired by LAPD. I also have have completed 2 years of college at CSULB. Should I finnish school first? Is it possible to really go to school at be a cop at the same time your first few years in? The requiter guy who came to speak to my class said they would pay for school, is there any catch to this? As of now I have passed my written test, I got the PAT in july and the background interview in august.
Finish school first. That is the best advice that a recruiter gave me when I couldn't get a job; in other words, no life experience. School gives your the life experience to take on some of the tasks of police work.

BTW, CSULB is my Alma Mater. School has a great Crim Justice program, with very good professors. A degree would open the door for state/local, and FED 1811 positions like DEA, FBI, ICE, Secret Service, ETC. Do well and make us proud, fellow Dirtbag!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just something to add, tho I'm not LAPD. Unless you are going Federal, you might want to reconsider obtaining a CJ degree. Both in this forum and the leo forum on xdtalk, the consensus is a CJ degree is not really desirable for the local level.

On the other hand, per one member (can't recall if here or xdtalk) who does work on the Federal level, a CJ degree is very beneficial.

When you go thru the local le academy, you will learn the CJ you need for the job. For advancement purposes, if that is what you want, a degree in Business, Public Admin, English or pretty much anything else is good. If you decide le isn't for you, you are now stuck with a CJ degree that won't help you much in any other field.

I don't know about LAPD, but, unless it has changed, you start at a higher pay step if you have either a 2yr or 4yr. degree prior to joining LASD. Not only that, you will receive your Intermediate and Advanced Post certificates sooner and LASD pays a bonus for those certificates.

A buddy of mine had a Masters in English when he joined and only spent 6 months inside security before going to operations. He worked days and had weekends and holidays off also. A lot better than working inside around inmates.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

You asked for advise from LAPD guys here. Do not wait! I repeat, Do not wait! if you want to go to school in the mean time great, but do not wait. Did I say do not wait? you have enough credits necessary to promote so do your best to hired right away. Reread my first post. PM me if you want to.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member

Do not wait!

Old 06-17-2009, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
Do not wait!
+1 hiring freeze possibly on the way in the near future.
Old 06-17-2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
Do not wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrist View Post

Thanks guys, this was pretty much my thinking as well, school will always be there but the hiring may or may not. Plus im a white male so you never know when they may start saying "need not apply".
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrist View Post
thats what I heard as well