Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-31-2005, 11:24 AM

Nevermind california, would they be legal in any state? I'm not to familiar with electric triggers on guns, but I know they are an industry standard in the paintball community. It wouldn't be that far of a leap to adapt one of these trigger setups to a real gun, but I really have no idea if that would be legal. Most of these systems use a microswitch witch triggers a solenoid to trigger the hammer. This makes for a very sweet trigger pull, so short it's barely noticeble, and the pull can easily get below 3lb's, though that can be dangerous, get it too light and the gun will fire just by shaking it.

The reason I'm wondering if they are legal, is that the microswitch and solenoid require a computer board as a control mechanism, and in the paintball industry it's not uncommon for people to get into the programming on these boards (or physically rewire in some cases) and make there paintball gun full auto or burst. I'm just wondering if somehow that little board could somehow be considered a selector switch.

I'm hoping it wouldn't be. If not I'm gonna be trying to figure out how to set up one of my rifles for this.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:24 AM

Nevermind california, would they be legal in any state? I'm not to familiar with electric triggers on guns, but I know they are an industry standard in the paintball community. It wouldn't be that far of a leap to adapt one of these trigger setups to a real gun, but I really have no idea if that would be legal. Most of these systems use a microswitch witch triggers a solenoid to trigger the hammer. This makes for a very sweet trigger pull, so short it's barely noticeble, and the pull can easily get below 3lb's, though that can be dangerous, get it too light and the gun will fire just by shaking it.

The reason I'm wondering if they are legal, is that the microswitch and solenoid require a computer board as a control mechanism, and in the paintball industry it's not uncommon for people to get into the programming on these boards (or physically rewire in some cases) and make there paintball gun full auto or burst. I'm just wondering if somehow that little board could somehow be considered a selector switch.

I'm hoping it wouldn't be. If not I'm gonna be trying to figure out how to set up one of my rifles for this.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I only know of the Etronix trigger on Remington 700 bolt-action rifles. It also uses a special round w/electrically-ignited primer...

I believe some of the match 22LR Olympic-style semiauto pistols may have an electronic trigger option too.

There'd be nothing illegal as long as system was not electrically easy to modify into full auto. BATF would probably set standards for this if this became a significant proportion of the market.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-31-2005, 9:55 PM

Yeah I wouldn't want it on a pistol. But for bench shooting when you want a lot of accuracy it would be very nice.

Something else I have been thinking about that might be a problem is recoil. If you get the trigger too light, the recoil might be enough to move the trigger into firing position, essentially making a full auto that won't stop firing till it's empty, not a pleasant thought. Paintball guns do have recoil, but it's not much, more than a .22LR but not by much.
Old 03-31-2005, 4:07 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sounds like fun but, do you want to stake your fun or whatever, on the life of a battery. I have a hard time with elecronics, I am a bit of a dinosaur.
Old 03-31-2005, 4:57 PM

I used to be a hardcore paintball fanatic, I played in a lot of tournaments and such. My favorite gun had a hall effect sensor with magnets in the trigger instead of a microswitch. I could shoot about 10,000 rounds between charges on the battery, and it never once screwed up on me. They are pretty reliable. And there are other models that run on a basic 9 volt battery and they can shoot about 3,000 rounds between batteries.
Old 03-31-2005, 7:56 PM

I fired one of those single shot .22LR free pistols with an electric trigger. You just brush the trigger with your finger and it goes off. Super, super light. I couldn't get used to it at all.
Old 03-31-2005, 1:55 PM

So it's pretty much a grey area. And I wasn't planning on using existing parts from paintball guns, I was gonna start from scratch with parts from radioshack. Doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to make it so it's only possible to fire once per trigger pull. For paintball guns it has more to do with the companies recognize that a lot of people want to modify there gun to full auto, so they make it relativly easy to do.