Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-14-2009, 2:43 PM

Default encounter with black suburban

Recently (06-04) my wife, dog, and i were on our way back from the mountains, headed towards sacremento on 80. a mile or so before the light rail station. We were in the fast lane keeping up with the flow of traffic, when out of the blue a late model suburban type rig, either black or dark blue with blue lights flashing appeared RIGHT ON MY TAIL. I pulled to center lane as fast as possible, and he was immediately on the tail of the car that was in front of me and so on down the line. The light bar system looked almost fake to me, especially the rear ones that were on the inside of the rig. No siren.
Anyone out there know of any agency that has rigs like this. It sure wasn"t a regular L E agency.
Thanks for any input....captn-tin
Old 06-14-2009, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Red lights are what is needed for emergency vehicles in this state

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....
Old 06-14-2009, 3:22 PM

Don't know. Lots of agencies use large SUV's. In CA only LE vehs. can display blue lights. Fire and Ambulances can not. However they must display at least one solid burning red light. Flashing reds, or blues are optional. If it was LE there had to be a forward facing red light somewhere.

Last edited by Fire in the Hole; 06-14-2009 at 3:24 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

doesnt secret service and bomb squad use black subs and tahoes?

I saw a similar one on friday, was black with blue and red flashing light in the inside, no siren, but had exempt plates, he was in the #1 lane I was in the #3 and it flew by
-bb

NRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 06-14-2009, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Just because you dont hear a siren doesnt mean they dont have one.

Old 06-14-2009, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
I saw a similar one on friday, was black with blue and red flashing light in the inside, no siren, but had exempt plates, he was in the #1 lane I was in the #3 and it flew by
-bb
Yes they do, but if that veh. is assigned to a CA office it will have the red light as well. It can be mounted in the grill so to not be obvious when turned off. The sirens do not necessarilly need to be activated just because the emergency lights are on. Especially on freeways. But on the other hand, sirens can't just be run independant of the emergency lights.

You said it had exempt plates. If they were CA exempt plates, that rules out a Federal veh. Because the Feds use U.S. Government plates.

Last edited by Fire in the Hole; 06-14-2009 at 5:17 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 3:36 PM

There could have been a red light. Don't remember for sure. I'm sure there was no siren. Wife says rig did not have exempt type plates. Dog says nothing.
Old 06-14-2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:

-bb
This really confuses me. Was there a big disco ball hanging from the top deck? I would think that flashing lights just activated on the inside would be most distracting to the driver. Was this vehicle on its way to the Playboy Mansion, with a driver in his late 70's smoking a pipe and wearing silk pajamas driving?
Old 06-14-2009, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

they are usually top mounted on the inside on the windshield, they are blackedout on the inside,

-bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the Hole View Post
This really confuses me. Was there a big disco ball hanging from the top deck? I would think that flashing lights just activated on the inside would be most distracting to the driver. Was this vehicle on its way to the Playboy Mansion, with a driver in his late 70's smoking a pipe and wearing silk pajamas driving?

NRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 06-14-2009, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But on the other hand, sirens can't just be run independant of the emergency lights.
Really? It must be your set-up, cause, i can do it.

Old 06-14-2009, 5:12 PM

Quote:
they are usually top mounted on the inside on the windshield, they are blackedout on the inside, -bb
Oh, is that what was ment? I loved those Kojack lights.
Old 06-14-2009, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
There have been a whole lot of variations designed by various manufactures over the years. And any Dept. can write their own specs up for submission, or have their own Auto Techs, modify the wiring after the fact.
Old 06-14-2009, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FWIW All you need in CA is a solid red light in front.
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 06-14-2009, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes they do, but if that veh. is assigned to a CA office it will have the red light as well. It can be mounted in the grill so to not be obvious when turned off. The sirens do not necessarilly need to be activated just because the emergency lights are on. Especially on freeways. But on the other hand, sirens can't just be run independant of the emergency lights.

You said it had exempt plates. If they were CA exempt plates, that rules out a Federal veh. Because the Feds use U.S. Government plates.
I've never seen a requirement that the siren be hard-wired to run that way... not that one could be wired that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestaterebel View Post
I drove ambulances for a living... and have worked with and around a couple Fire Departments over the years. None of those sirens were hard-wired to be active only with the red light on... Most were wired into the horn for hands-free use.
Quote:
There have been a whole lot of variations designed by various manufactures over the years. And any Dept. can write their own specs up for submission, or have their own Auto Techs, modify the wiring after the fact.
Most siren units I've seen aren't integrated into the lighting control package. They're stand-alone units that just need a power supply and a 100 or 200 watt speaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
FWIW All you need in CA is a solid red light in front.
Yep. Siren? Wig-wag headlights? Flashing blue lights? Flashing reds? Sure, they're nice to have, but as long as you've got the steady red burning lamp that is visible for 1,000 feet under normal daylight atmospheric conditions...
Old 06-15-2009, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

You where in Sac County??

SED, Sac Counties SWAT team, has a few of these for take home vehicles. They are nice rigs.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 AM

It is very hard to hear some sirens with the windows up and the radio on until the siren gets real close and even then it is iffy.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

When I went through the EVOC course (a LONG time ago) the running conditions were:
Code 1: no lights, no sirens
Code 2: lights but no sirens
Code 3: lights and sirens.
If you were running Code 3, you couldn't step down to Code 2. If running Code 2, couldn't step down to Code 1.

This was specifically for ambulances, and our units were wired such that the sirens and lights were operated independently of each other.

John
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM

I used to drive a DB Barney car...slicktop with regular plates and no markings...

I shared the unit with another guy who had a CHPy stalk him down a small street while running his plates...then broke off when he saw who it came back to...

A few weeks ago I saw a Silver Magnum rolling code through Downey.

Black SUV...maybe a federal car?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM

Black SUV with non-descript plates you say? Seen similar vehicles along windy mountain roads in Trinity County while out quad riding last summer. Windows were blacked out and both vehicles were moving at a fast rate of speed, too fast in my opinion.

We pulled off the road and they both roared past us. We figured they were looking for something that fell out of the sky, never saw them again.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

We had a local guy running around in a normal car with lights in the grill and a friend who is just a cable installer got his plates and tossed him to the police so they could nail him for impersonating an officer.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM

$70 (or less) picks you up up a set of hi-intensity LED red/blue, red/red dash lights that are just as bright as any commercial dash units. I've got a set of red lights on my quad that are able to 'kit scan'
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 PM

Sounds like secret service or CHP governors protective detail.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7222 Hawker View Post
Sounds like secret service or CHP governors protective detail.
Either that or first responders to UFO landings. What I saw coming out of the hills at a high rate of speed scared the beejuice out of me.
Old 06-17-2009, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

It was Gecko45. There was a serious situation at a major indoor retail center that required his expertise and rapid response.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 06-17-2009, 1:38 PM

Definitely MIB
Old 06-17-2009, 1:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've seen LA swat (I think) driving around in a rig like that.... they weren't doing anything crazy... just picking up some jamba juice over on washington.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance