Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-11-2009, 9:51 PM

Default .357 Carbines

Looking for a decent .357 Carbine. Price, reputation, etc. Are there any special laws in California for them?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

My BIL had a IMI Timberwolf pump carbine in .357.
If you can find one, it's sweet!
Pumps, levers and bolt actions are not really affected by CA laws much.
Not sure what semi-auto .357 carbines there are out there.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

.357magnum, .357Auto, .357 bottles of beer on the wall?

Std .357 mag isn't a good autoloader cartridge, but is great in a lever gun.

Buy used! There are only two ponies when it comes to firearms.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 06-13-2009, 6:23 PM

OK, so I did some research, and it looks like I'm looking between the Marlin 1894C or the IMI Timberwolf. Marlin has good reviews, and is still in production, Timberwolf has so-so reviews and is no longer in production. Correct?
Old 06-13-2009, 7:09 PM

There are more mfgs . Go to gunbroker.com Taurus makes a sweeet pump in 357. Do a search. You'll see several like Winchester, Emf , Rossi ,Beretta
Old 06-13-2009, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had a Rossi since 1982. It is a copy of the Winchester 92. In my opinion if you are going to go with the .357 don't get a Marlin or Winchester, they are too heavy and bulky for the cartridge. The Ross/EMF is svelt and lightweight. Get the 16" barrel version, this is all you need for this round.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

I'm a seven percenter
Old 06-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Just picked up a Marlin 1894C from it's 10 prison a couple weeks ago. Good luck finding them since a) they're kind of rare, b) they're in high demand and don't sit on the shelf for long, and c) I've heard those who own them almost never sell them.

The Puma .357 lever action (Winchester 92 clone) is supposed to be pretty good, and is a bit easier to find. I personally prefer the look and feel of the Marlin, and also like the fact that I can try a scout scope on it. I put on some Skinner ghost ring sights, and though I still haven't had a chance to take it out to the range, it feels perfect in my hands.

Oops, almost forgot... Marlin is releasing the 1894C in stainless this summer... I think production starts this month.

Last edited by ArnFromVA; 06-13-2009 at 11:30 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Hands down, the Marlin 1894c for .357 mag. Feels like shooting a .22 when shooting .38's. Mine has a Williams peep & FO front combo--very quick and accurate. I'm NEVER selling mine....
Old 06-14-2009, 6:07 AM

I found my Marlin 1894C in 357 by asking for it at Big5. One weekend, they had a sale on Marlin levers. I asked the salesman if they had one in 357. He checked his computer and found that they had one in "the back room."

Perhaps you could find one with just a phone call. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 6:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Winchesters bulky, nooooo way.
Old 06-14-2009, 6:26 AM

I am on my third. I bought a brand new IMI Timberwolf right out of college in the 80's, sold it after a year or two
Then I bought a Marlin 1894CS, lever action 357magnum carbine. Great gun, never any problems with any ammo. I am left-handed and I never really liked the throw of the lever action. Finally sold it.
Fast forward to last December, I picked up another IMI Timberwolf
I am playing with a scope to put on it, my wife now thinks this is her rifle.
Any way if you can find one they are a slick little carbine, action is just like my 870 shotgun.

Last edited by A'sDad; 11-04-2012 at 4:54 PM..
Old 06-14-2009, 6:30 AM
Veteran Member

I thought it would be cool to have a companion rifle for my .357 revolver, so I checked out both the Marlin 1894C and the Puma. The Puma seemed extremely light on the butt-end of the rifle, which made it feel awkward and unbalanced. The Marlin had way too short a length of pull for my long arms; but seemed to be of high quality. I passed on both.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 06-14-2009, 6:38 AM
Banned

Puma is a lot lighter and slender than Marlin. It is a very close copy of the very successful Winchester 92 and handles and balances the same. Only problem Puma is a top eject rifle and you only can scope it with a scout mount. But for a rifle firing .357 round you don't really need a scope anyway.

Last edited by .454; 06-14-2009 at 6:43 AM..
Old 06-14-2009, 6:54 AM

Taurus makes a .357 pump that's been well received. However in stock form it's definitely not carbine length. Having a gunsmith take a few inches off the barrel and magazine souldn't be too pricey though. I wish they'd spin one of these out in .44mag

Here's a bit on the .45 colt flavored one.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm
Old 06-14-2009, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'sDad View Post
Fast forward to last December, I picked up another IMI TimberwolfI am playing with a scope to put on it, my wife now thinks this is her rifle.
Any way if you can find one they are a slick little carbine, action is just like my 870 shotgun.
This.

My t'wolf is the ranch go-to carbine...does a nice job with either an eotech or 4x scope. Lighter and easier to use than a lever gun. 158g reloads chrono at >2200fps w/ zero signs of overpressure. Recoil is almost non-existent.

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 06-14-2009, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPROCKET View Post
Taurus makes a .357 pump that's been well received. However in stock form it's definitely not carbine length. Having a gunsmith take a few inches off the barrel and magazine souldn't be too pricey though. I wish they'd spin one of these out in .44mag

Here's a bit on the .45 colt flavored one.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm
I checked out the Thunderbolt and it had a horrible trigger - felt worse than my SKS.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner