Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Anyone have the Knoxx Comp stock?

Aww shoot! Can a mod please move this to the Shotgun Discussion section please? (Thank you!)

I don't need it for the slight chance of using my shotgun against an intruder as I can shoot 00 buck without it. But practicing at the range is a different story. I currently use an 870 Express with a Remington Super Cell recoil pad and it works admirably but I came across this Knoxx Comp stock and it looked pretty sweet. I don't really care for pistol grips so I stayed clear of their more famous AR version.

The Super Cell is all I need to shoot birdshot when shooting clay and stuff but after a few dozen rounds of 00 buck, especially old hand me downs from the 60's or something, my shoulder felt like it was stomped on by a gorilla.

Anyone have any experience and thoughts about this stock? Thanx.

Oh, and why DO those 60's-70's era buckshot kick like slugs? I shot an assorted mix even down to #6 buck and they still kicked like a mule while all my new 00 buck, they weren't low recoil stuff, shot softer. The new stuff was Winchester, Remington, and Federal 2-3/4" and the old stuff were Winchester and Remington 2-3/4" as well. The old #4 and #6 kicked harder than the new 00 buck 9 shot.

Last edited by Dangerous1; 06-11-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 9:17 AM

I have a Compstock on my Wifes 500.
I haven't fired it yet, but everyone who has shot it said that they couldn't even feel the recoil. Now this was with birdshot and shooting trap, so I'd imagine that with OO or slugs they would feel like birdshot.

I can give you a better review after next week. The wife and I are gonna go bust some clays and plastic bottles for our aniversary. I'll pop off a few rounds with her 500 and let ya know

Last edited by Baron; 06-12-2009 at 9:20 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 9:46 AM

Congratulations on your anniversary! Or should I say, my condolences? If you could get back to me after your outing, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-12-2009, 9:52 AM

Lmao
No problem I plan on bringing some OO, slugs, and birdshot for the shotguns. So I should be able to give you a pretty good review

Old 06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

I have not personally tried the Comp Stock, but I have tried the SpecOps. And given the design I would assume they work about the same.

The hard part, though a lesson you will never forget, is to make sure all of your cheek/face are on the rear sleeve and not touching the forward part of the stock.

If you lay your head where it wants to go on the stock, you will smack your cheek. It feels like somebody smacked you in the face with a golf club. Laugh all you want. But there is not a single Knoxx Stock owner out there that has not made this mistake at least once. If you lay your head almost entirely on the forward part of the stock, the rear part will come up and pinch your cheek HARD! That one I have not done. But I have heard of people doing it.

It is not a natural to crunch your neck up and lay your head so far back on the stock. But that is what you have to do in order not to hurt yourself. It takes a conscious effort to remember to do...especially if you own other rifles and shotguns without a Knoxx stock and shoot them regularly.

That little design flaw aside, they work great. Almost no recoil. No hurt shoulder the next day.

However, after one or two smacks in the face...I think I am more of a Speedfeed fan. I like resting my head where it wants to go, and not cocked way back. There is no recoil reduction, but it is very well made and comes in 2 different lengths...short (which is good for youth, women, and surprisingly enough is the choice for tactical guys so they can get around corners better) and regular. Both fit 12 ga shotguns no problem.

Oh yeah, the Knoxx Folding version works a little differently. You can lay your head where you want to. I am not sure if it offers the exact same level of recoil reduction, but does offer it. The only flaw in the design is that when folded it would interfere with a receiver mounted side saddle, and I like having a side saddle for extra ammo. There is no rule saying you have to fold it forward. You can leave it locked to the rear.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 06-12-2009 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
I have not personally tried the Comp Stock, but I have tried the SpecOps. And given the design I would assume they work about the same.

The hard part, though a lesson you will never forget, is to make sure all of your cheek/face are on the rear sleeve and not touching the forward part of the stock.

If you lay your head where it wants to go on the stock, you will smack your cheek. It feels like somebody smacked you in the face with a golf club. Laugh all you want. But there is not a single Knoxx Stock owner out there that has not made this mistake at least once. If you lay your head almost entirely on the forward part of the stock, the rear part will come up and pinch your cheek HARD! That one I have not done. But I have heard of people doing it.

It is not a natural to crunch your neck up and lay your head so far back on the stock. But that is what you have to do in order not to hurt yourself. It takes a conscious effort to remember to do...especially if you own other rifles and shotguns without a Knoxx stock and shoot them regularly.

That little design flaw aside, they work great. Almost no recoil. No hurt shoulder the next day.

However, after one or two smacks in the face...I think I am more of a Speedfeed fan. I like resting my head where it wants to go, and not cocked way back. There is no recoil reduction, but it is very well made and comes in 2 different lengths...short (which is good for youth, women, and surprisingly enough is the choice for tactical guys so they can get around corners better) and regular. Both fit 12 ga shotguns no problem.

Oh yeah, the Knoxx Folding version works a little differently. You can lay your head where you want to. I am not sure if it offers the exact same level of recoil reduction, but does offer it. The only flaw in the design is that when folded it would interfere with a receiver mounted side saddle, and I like having a side saddle for extra ammo. There is no rule saying you have to fold it forward. You can leave it locked to the rear.

I've done this on my Mossberg with SpecOps stock.

Then again when I put one on my 870. That one hurt more.

www.theshootersblog.com