Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-25-2005, 9:30 PM

Has anyone got any suggestions? I checked out www.packing.org (which actually made me feel a bit better about my chances of potentially getting a permit when I move to the state) and saw two instructors listed. But, one was in San Diego and the other in Yorba Linda.

Are there any training areas closer?

Also, how many firearms can you have on your CA CCW? It seems like it costs extra at these classes?
Old 05-25-2005, 8:05 AM

If you want a CCW, do NOT move to Lancaster. As mentioned earlier, Lancaster is in LA county, and you won't get a permit. However, Rosamond IS in Kern County, and you can get a permit here. The Kern County sheriff (Mack Wimbish) is very pro 2nd -Amendment.
As for CCW classes, there is a class offered by the gun shop in Tehachapi (Southern Shooters Supply) but last time I checked, his classes were sporadic - he would not do a class until he had enough signups to make it worthwhile, which means you don't really know when you're going to be taking your class.
Two good classes in Bakersfield (40 mi further west from Tehachapi) are:

Powers Security Training (871-7273). Classes are given at Five Dogs Shooting Range, 12 mi N of Bakersfield.

2nd Amendment Sports (323-4512). Classes are given at their facility on W Rosedale Hwy in Bakersfield.

You can list 3 firearms on your CCW, and they do NOT need to be on the CA 'approved' handgun list. I know - I have a BUL M5 Gov't 1911 that has never been submitted for CA testing, and it's been on my CCW for over four years.

Rob
Old 05-13-2005, 2:02 PM

Let me check with a buddy in Palmdale to see if he does it.
Old 05-24-2005, 9:44 PM

Thanks for the information, Eyespy. I've been out of town for a few weeks, so I haven't had a chance to respond.

I'll be out in Rosamond in mid-June, and once I've settled down a bit I'll get my paperwork going. I can't go further until I buy a house out there, but at least this looks like a step in the right direction.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM

Firearms Training Associates (Class is at Norco, CA)

Here is another one classes at Burro Canyon, Azusa, CA
Old 05-15-2005, 9:19 PM

The problem is that Lancaster is still in LA county. Perhaps you can move north a little to Rosamond, which is in Kern County. The Kern COunty Sheriff is much more pro-CCW. I had no difficulty getting my initial CCW applications approved for further processing by the Kern Co sheriff, and then completed the CCW cert course. Within 12 days of submitting my CCW cert, and prints, I had my CCW in hand. You can list and carry up to 3 CCW weapons. The CCW course I took was given by a China Lake Police Dept training officer, one of only a handfull of CCW trainers in Kern County.
Old 05-10-2005, 8:38 PM

bob powers of powers security training.first off you must write your ceo and then see if they will issue then get the class done.they allow 3 guns per permit.
Old 04-26-2005, 5:35 AM

There has to be somebody in Bakersfield. And I think there is somebody Tehachapi which is even closer.

--Ronaldus Maximus
Old 05-27-2005, 8:47 PM

For Lancaster.....contact Professional Security Training School for CCW training. (This place is recommended by LA county Sheriff's Dept.)

44633 Sierra Highway, Lancaster, CA 93534
Tel: 661-945-0600

Instructor's name is Cecil Williams

Now, how do I know? Because I'm looking at the LA Sheriff's Depts. CCW application.

It can be downloaded from here
Old 05-14-2005, 12:35 PM

So you know taking CCW course might be waste of your money. It doesn't guarantee you a CCW permit. You should wait until you know for sure you can get a permit.
Old 05-27-2005, 9:37 PM

Thanks.

I should perhaps change the title of this thread to "...Rosamond?" since that's the town I'll be moving into.

I'll need to start the paperwork after I get an address out there, so I've got about a month I'm guessing.