Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Question Copper Plating Bullets

Has anyone ever seen a machine for copper electroplating bullets? IN OTHER WORDS HOW DO THEY DO IT What do the manufacturers use. How do they get a electrical contact on each bullet without leaving a mark. I want to copper plate my lead bullets. I don't want to swage a copper jacket on to it. I figure I'll also have to resize them after plating.

Last edited by mattman; 06-09-2009 at 8:37 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 6:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkr1NS7bEUU
Old 06-09-2009, 7:02 PM
Banned

man, talk about reinventing the wheel. Buy some. Sell the lead if you don't want them. No shortage of folks looking for reloading components right now.
Old 06-09-2009, 7:56 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubldwn View Post
Those are FMJ bullets the lead is swaged into the jacket. I'm looking for electroplating. Interesting video non the less.
Old 06-09-2009, 8:07 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Berry's Manufacturing

http://www.berrysmfg.com/

-Jason
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Matt,
After reading the responses so far to your inquiry, I felt I had to post to point out the obvious. Caswell's Electroplating kits for small scale operations are the best known out there. It is slow and hard to get much volume. People posting nonsense replies to an open inquiry are particularly irritating. The purpose of these boards should include the facilitation of questions like yours.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesos View Post
Matt,
After reading the responses so far to your inquiry, I felt I had to post to point out the obvious. Caswell's Electroplating kits for small scale operations are the best known out there. It is slow and hard to get much volume. People posting nonsense replies to an open inquiry are particularly irritating. The purpose of these boards should include the facilitation of questions like yours.
Finally someone with a good answer. Thanks huesos that was just what I was looking for.
Old 06-10-2009, 6:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
Berry's Manufacturing

http://www.berrysmfg.com/

-Jason
10 years ago, Berry's were poo poo. Recently, someone told me they were still poo poo..

inconsistant weights, out of round..

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 06-11-2009, 3:18 AM

You can go the electroless route or go with an electrical contact route. Caswell makes great stuff (I've used their electroless nickel on some gun parts and a few other things works well, is cheap, and comes with good instructions)

I heard the trick to evenly plating a large set of small items (like bullets) is to keep them in constant motion. maybe rig a tumbler?

Time for an assault drain-cleaner ban?
Old 06-11-2009, 6:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
10 years ago, Berry's were poo poo. Recently, someone told me they were still poo poo..

inconsistant weights, out of round..
I use Berry's bullets in my commercial line and they are well made. Most of them are double struck so they are sized again after plating.

Plating is basically done by placing the bullets in a bath of chemicals and copper then positively charging the copper bath and negatively charging the lead bullets (I think they are placed in a screened rack). This causes the copper to stick to the lead cores. The process is the same for chrome plating or other plating processes. Small scale is possible but Berry's does it in batches of tens of thousands at a time. I recall from chrome plating that it isn't one step and done, there's several bath tanks during the process. Cleanliness of the product and the mixture of the copper bath are essential to quality.

Plating and anodizing are very similar in concept with the polarized charges, etc.
Old 06-13-2009, 2:18 PM

This individual started the thread inquiring about plating processes for cast bullets. How did this become a thread on Berry's bullets? I would have to agree with the above poster declaring Berry's to be an inferior bulett. Not even worth discussing on this thread. There is no one in competition shooting using this product.