Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-01-2005, 8:06 PM

Coyotes up in the Panoche Hills BLM? We are talking the Shields Ave off interstate 5 BLM right? Fox, badger, and bunnies? There isnt even a water source up there for them.
The only time Ive ever seen anything alive up there is those sheep and maybe a lil bird or two. Hmmmmm,
Old 10-01-2005, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by stillbigbac:
I've been going to Panoche since before there was a calguns.. I have no idea where the rest of the fellas go and I've been there alot. I've been there when calguns guys are supposed to be there shooting and never saw a sole, never heard a shot.

That to me is the best part about panoche 12000 acres to get lost in and shoot till you get a blister on your trigger finger.

I also like going out there to hunt coyotes all winter long.
There are yotes almost in my backyard and I didn't know , I guess I'll be going there more often now.
Old 10-02-2005, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitol:
Coyotes up in the Panoche Hills BLM? We are talking the Shields Ave off interstate 5 BLM right? Fox, badger, and bunnies? There isnt even a water source up there for them.
The only time Ive ever seen anything alive up there is those sheep and maybe a lil bird or two. Hmmmmm,
Try looking down, all that poop has to come from somewhere There are actually wells on that piece of land. It is actually in the rules that you have to stay so far away from the water to hunt.. Drive the roads at night and you will definetly see bunnies. You can here tho song dogs when there around.
Old 09-08-2005, 8:24 PM

not yet...

I thought I had the bucks to buy it today and after doing some paperwork and stuff I found out different.

Thats where I'm planing on getting it though.

If I ever meet that guy I don't know if I will thank him or kick him in the shin for turning me on to 1919a4.com
Old 09-08-2005, 6:47 PM

I'm ordering an mg42 aa tripod and a twin can adapter and t&e.

I like that I can sit behind it, or stand behind it and it wont cost more than the gun.

I've also got my eye on an m3 reproduction tripod made of alluminum for static display.
Old 09-05-2005, 7:35 AM

topic says it all..

I have a new toy on the way I must take to panoche to really enjoy.. somehow I don't think I'll have much fun at Los Altos with my new 1919. And I dont want to go blasting on my buddies ranch and get his neighbors panties in a wad.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

I say we all meet there on Oct. 15th(it is a Saturday) and have some fun. I know I wanna checkout a 1919 .

Martin: I should be coming to see you this week about that 1911.

-Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 10-04-2005, 9:32 AM

I agree in that I don't like crowds either. But it is nice to meet other Calgunners and compare notes. I usually go to Panoche during the week. Nobody around at all. But, it is public land, and on weekends you'll run across people up there. I ran into some hi-tech stargazers once that were camped all around my shooting spot....had to go elsewhere.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

I'm definitely going to try to make it this year. If I'm welcome that is.

Got to try the 50 on something past 200 yards. And would love some rapid fire drills with the EBRs.
Old 10-02-2005, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacklisted:
How long does it take to get there from Fremont? Looks like about an hour and a half. I only have two guns of my own but several I can borrow. It would be great to shoot somewhere besides the range for once. I'd also like to shoot some clays..
It about 2 1/2 hours from Fremont depending on which way you go to the 5. You can take the 152 through Gilroy or head out on the 580.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Martin, nobody says we have to go to your private spot, With all that space, I'm sure that we can find a spot to shoot. Most people don't go because it's too far, and it ain't that bad with like minded people. Besides it's just one day.
Toby, Can't make it on Sundays as I work on Sundays.
Anyway I'm still going on the 15th. If anyone wants to join me, you are more than welcome.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 PM

stillbigbac, for a test fire Metcalf does allow 1919's I've shot mine there many times. Make sure you buy lots of ammo as you will need it.

What tripod are you going to use?

I could be up for a Panoche run.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:35 PM

Well that really depends on when they open the gate. We could meet at the third gate, or someone could put up a sign to where we will be shooting and all you have to do is follow the signs. I would like to be up there around 9:00am or so. Maybe I should print up some Calguns signs and post them, so everyone know where we will be.
Martin, do you have anyplace in mind?

For all you BayArea guys, This really is a great place to shoot, as there are no range nazis to hassle you, and you can blast away as fast as you want. The extra time on the road is well worth it. make sure that you bring water and munchies along with you as there is nothing out there. I will probably be bring my FAL, SKS, and a few handguns. You all are welcome to try them out if you like.
This is also a good time for those who are interested in particular types of weapons to try out, if enough people show up, there should be plenty of verity for everyone.
Maybe we could get a pot luck going?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 10-01-2005, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For anyone interested:

http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1739

Turby
Old 09-08-2005, 11:46 AM

I would be up for a shoot on Oct15th.

Old 09-05-2005, 4:32 PM

Rascal... speak up!
Old 10-01-2005, 7:24 PM

Yup, there are yotes and fox and badger and bunnies. I have heard of pigs and I've seen deer. Lots of critters up there.
Old 10-01-2005, 5:28 PM

I've been going to Panoche since before there was a calguns.. I have no idea where the rest of the fellas go and I've been there alot. I've been there when calguns guys are supposed to be there shooting and never saw a sole, never heard a shot.

That to me is the best part about panoche 12000 acres to get lost in and shoot till you get a blister on your trigger finger.

Old 10-01-2005, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbinator:
For anyone interested:

http://www.recreation.gov/detail.cfm?ID=1739

Turby
Thanks for the link; where exactly is everybody going to meet?
Old 09-11-2005, 2:45 PM

So, Is any one up for a day of shooting at Panoche on the 15th of OCT?

Old 09-05-2005, 7:58 PM

Panoche opens up next month, I think it's second weekend of the month, or opening of some type of game bird season. Chucker? I do know that IT IS October.
I would be up for a meet up with you guys. I haven't had a chance to try out my new shotgun yet.

Old 09-05-2005, 8:10 AM

Panoche is the spanish word.... Oh yeh you mean the BLM land.. Panoche is about 1200 acres of land south of Los Banos just west of highway 5. They allow huntin, camping, rock hounding and target shooting. This is where I practice from a holster and rapid fire drills. If you find a good spot you could set up ranges over a 1000 yards.

It is closed from sring till fall for fire hazard.
Old 10-02-2005, 5:47 AM

Hey guys, I was just going to make a similar post! I've been gone doing work stuff lately and have been neglecting the forum.

Rascal and I usually get together up there at least once a year. Mechandy met us there once, along with a couple other Calgunners.

There are plenty of shooting opportunites at Panoche. I have done a recon of the entire property, and there are many different possibilities. I used to have a Motor Coach that I took but alas, I sold it. Camping is good, but you'll have to get a campfire permit if you want a fire.

As for LEO's, I have never been hassled at Panoche, but I have heard of BLM and F&G checking on people in the area. Go to the website and read the reg's.

There 'aint much to hunt. I have seen 1 lonely Jackrabbit, and a covey of Quail. That's about it.

There are excellent opportunities for loooooong range shooting, just be careful and do a downrange check befor you start blasting.

A good place to meet is the improv pistol range. It's just NE of the upper gate. Once you go thru the gate, second trail to the left. Can't miss it. There'a a nice berm and 50 yard flat spot that is perfect for pistols and .22 action. We have shot clays there too. It's a good spot to meet and bust caps. From there those who like to wander can launch.

If my schedule allows, I will be out there on the weekend of the 15th. I usually have a little motorola on channel 3/5. Cellphones usually work too. PM me and I'll give you my #. See you there?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

If I make it out there, I'm going to bring along my Calguns shirt so that other Calgunners can ID me - and we can hang out to chat for a bit.

Turby
Old 09-08-2005, 7:34 PM

Same setup I have. let me guess you got your twin can adapter and T&E from 1919_4_me.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:11 PM

Quote:

How long does it take to get there from Fremont? Looks like about an hour and a half. I only have two guns of my own but several I can borrow. It would be great to shoot somewhere besides the range for once. I'd also like to shoot some clays.

I've got 500 rounds of 7.62X39 coming on wednesday. The only thing I'd have to get is .30-06 and .357 magnum.
Old 09-05-2005, 7:47 AM

I've heard people talking about Panoche on this board, what or where is it?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

So is there any place in particular to meet on the 15th?
Old 10-04-2005, 4:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I may not be going. This particular thread got me in trouble. My partner thinks that our weekend spot has become a public event. Since we go there to get away, he's a little pissed at me.
That's a little odd, because you just posted earlier that you've been there when Calguns guys were suppoed to be there and you didn't see anybody or hear anything.

I think your partner can relax and figure with that much acreage, you should be ok! (I hope?)

Turby
Old 09-05-2005, 9:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have my literature handy right here. Panoche closes April 15th, and reopens October 15th. I've never been there during the closed season, but I hear from others on the board that this means the lower gates are open, but the upper gates are closed. There is one shooting spot in the lower area that is still accessible, but it is not the ideal geographic setup. Other more ideal spots are closed during fire season.

One of the Panoche veterans will have to speak up with more details and information.

Turby
Old 10-04-2005, 5:18 AM

I may not be going. This particular thread got me in trouble. My partner thinks that our weekend spot has become a public event. Since we go there to get away, he's a little pissed at me.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cg:

Where exactly is it?
Panoche? or the BLM office?

Old 09-30-2005, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am going to call the Holister BLM office to find out if they are going to let us in Friday night...

I'm planing on treating this as a store Holiday
Where exactly is it?
Old 10-03-2005, 1:22 PM

Rascal, I just found out I have to buy my niece's pig at the fair auction on the 15th. Drat! I can be there Sunday the 16th though. If that works out, I will probably be up there 16-17 Oct. Potluck...Sounds like fun. I'll bring ice and beer.
Old 09-12-2005, 6:14 AM

I am going to call the Holister BLM office to find out if they are going to let us in Friday night...

I'm planing on treating this as a store Holiday
Old 09-05-2005, 8:08 PM

Turby is right that during the closed season that upper gate is closed, but yes, you can still shoot at the upper gate. You have a choice of 25 yards or 100 yards up to a little less and 400 yards with good back stop. Still pretty good, but you usually have company, while when the gate is open, there usually is no one around you when you shoot.

Old 10-06-2005, 9:13 AM

I may have to stay behind. The guy that would normally be in town to respond to any of our alarms is going.

I have no idea where the calguns guys get together anyway..