Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-01-2005, 6:07 AM

A friend of mine is looking for a 2" for off duty. He doesn't have a Gun Broker account, and doesn't want to get one.If I find him a CA legal one,can I legally pay for the auction as long as he is the one who does the DROS, 4473, etc.. at the dealer????
Old 03-01-2005, 6:07 AM

A friend of mine is looking for a 2" for off duty. He doesn't have a Gun Broker account, and doesn't want to get one.If I find him a CA legal one,can I legally pay for the auction as long as he is the one who does the DROS, 4473, etc.. at the dealer????
Old 03-01-2005, 11:37 AM

That shouldn't be a problem. As long as someone pays for the item and someone is there to have the DROS to be run on them. However, let the CA FFL holder know that your friend will be coming in for the DROS. The seller might send the weapon with your name on it since you're the one who paid by check, M.O., credit card, etc.
Old 03-01-2005, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Explain the situation in detail.

IIRC, BATFs 'don't lie for the other guy' campaign warns about straw purchases where one guy is doing paperwork but another guy forks over the cash. Let the CA FFL and remote shipper know this is not the case and the background/reasoning for it.

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-01-2005, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Just send the seller a money order. The "Payor" is optional on a MO or cashiers check... you can just fill in your friends name.

A "straw purchase" is where one person is filling out the paperwork so someone else can get a gun. Nobody cares who pays for a gun so long as the person who's getting it is the one who's name is on the paperwork.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-27-2005, 5:56 AM

An Update: After stewing about the situation in the original post, my friend found a local "police supply' place that had the 442 he wanted. He purchased it there even though they charged him over $30 more than they quoted him on the phone, and $20 more than if we'd done the auction as described. Thanks for the legal opinions.