Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-04-2009, 3:53 PM

Default SHTF/EOTW Rifle/Pistol Combo for Untrained

Slooooooooow day at work and my mind started to wander like usual. In the unlikely event that a zombie outbreak occurs or we're living in a post nuclear war world, what would be the best rifle and pistol combo for an untrained person. I'm not too worried about realistic home defense against robbers, etc cause I live in a nice neighborhood and I'm surrounded by MUCH nicer homes so they'd get robbed first . I'd take safety and basic instructional courses but don't see myself practicing often, if at all, beyond that. Most likely, I'd just buy and then store the guns away so they wouldn't be receiving regular cleaning or attention.

In your opinion, what would be the best rifle/pistol for a relatively untrained operator in a SHTF/EOTW scenario. I was thinking maybe a .357 revolver and a matching caliber rifle since they seem to be pretty dummy proof and wouldn't require regular maintenance to remain functional (these guns could be sitting in a safe for years without ever being touched). I've heard SKS's are extremely reliable too but I'm not sure of the skill required to use them.

Anyways, this is only semi-serious but I'd like to hear your thoughts! I'm familiar with the popular choices but I know a lot of you practice often so I figured this might be a different twist on an old topic.
Old 06-04-2009, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

AK or SKS for rifle.
Glock for pistol (for point and shoot ease of operation).
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 06-04-2009, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Ruger 10-22 in .22LR, and any large frame 4"-6" barreled revolver of good quality in .22LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 06-04-2009, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

12g shotgun and a .357 revolver!
Old 06-04-2009, 4:23 PM

Pump shotgun and .357 barrel gun...
Old 06-04-2009, 4:24 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Winchester 94 Lever-action rifle in 30-30 and a S&W K-frame revolver in .357Mag. Very Old School, but simple and reliable as hell.
Old 06-04-2009, 4:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Glock for pistol, 100%

Rifle is tougher... with an AK you have to know how to install mags and train to get fast. The bolt operation is simpler than an AR, though, even though it's "wrong". The ergonomics are just not as nice on an AK. Why discuss these? Mid-range cartridge, reasonably priced, available...

From a cost standpoint, though, I'd go SAIGA.

SKS is a good choice, too.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 06-04-2009, 4:29 PM

It does not matter what you buy, if you can't use it. Buy something that you can afford to practice with a lot, and get good with type of weapon. I'm sure a slingshot could be pretty nasty if someone was dead on with it.
Old 06-04-2009, 4:50 PM

Untrained? Nothing...

I assume basic firearms knowledge and light practice and low maintenance, in which case I'd recommend a 686 or other .357 magnum revolver. It's more reliable than a Glock and easier to clean; also packs more punch.

Rifle... probably a Marlin lever action in the same caliber or one of the .45 caliber lever guns. If these things aren't going to be well maintained I'd stray away from autoloaders. Short of autoloaders, lever guns and wheel guns will be your fastest actions.

If we're talking about slow zombies though, I might be partial to a side by side 20 gauge.
Old 06-04-2009, 5:02 PM

A .357 revolver and lever action rifle would work well, but I would suggest a Ruger PC rifle and a Ruger P95 pistol. Both use 9mm ammo and the same mags. You get more firepower and they're easier to reload.
Old 06-04-2009, 5:08 PM

Well obviously I'll learn how to use them properly when I first get them but after that, I don't plan to practice with any regularity. I'm just wondering if there are any guns that once learned, like riding a bike, can be accessed and used with some proficiency in a time of crisis. My usual primary defense weapon is one of my many steel-shafted golf clubs but if things really turn sour that require more lethal means, EOTWAWKI/Z-APOC War type scenario, then getting a gun at that point in time will be impossible.

I've considered an 870 or 500 shotty but the ammo is bulky and heavy so you can't really BO with it, although bugging-in might be the better choice here in cramped SoCal - LA County.

NBA Finals time but I'd like to hear more!
Old 06-04-2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamkl View Post

I assume basic firearms knowledge and light practice and low maintenance, in which case I'd recommend a 686 or other .357 magnum revolver. It's more reliable than a Glock and easier to clean; also packs more punch.

Except zombies come at you in waves - 7 rounds of 357 from a 686+ then having to reload w/ a speedloader (which takes practice) or 15 rounds of full boat 10mm from a Glock 20 w/ another 15 rounds just a slap away (assuming you have pre-ban mags)? If you don't have pre-ban mags you better hope the zombies are post-ban ones and only take 10 rounds or less to kill...
Old 06-04-2009, 5:56 PM

It's not like riding a bike. It's more like golf. You might understand the mechanics and how the game is played, and you can get the ball off the tee ok, but if you never play you'll still suck.
Old 06-04-2009, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaren View Post
Well obviously I'll learn how to use them properly when I first get them but after that, I don't plan to practice with any regularity. I'm just wondering if there are any guns that once learned, like riding a bike, can be accessed and used with some proficiency in a time of crisis. My usual primary defense weapon is one of my many steel-shafted golf clubs but if things really turn sour that require more lethal means, EOTWAWKI/Z-APOC War type scenario, then getting a gun at that point in time will be impossible.

I've considered an 870 or 500 shotty but the ammo is bulky and heavy so you can't really BO with it, although bugging-in might be the better choice here in cramped SoCal - LA County.

NBA Finals time but I'd like to hear more!
Also echoing that proficiency with firearms is not like riding a bike. Shooting ability is a very perishable skill. Then layering on top of that shooting in a defensive situation - that's an even more perishable skill.

No offense but having a mindset from the outset that you want to buy a couple guns, take one class, then never touch them again until you need them to save your life some day years later is not a recipe for success...
Old 06-04-2009, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
Also echoing that proficiency with firearms is not like riding a bike. Shooting ability is a very perishable skill. Then layering on top of that shooting in a defensive situation - that's an even more perishable skill.

No offense but having a mindset from the outset that you want to buy a couple guns, take one class, then never touch them again until you need them to save your life some day years later is not a recipe for success...
If you're not going to make it a regular and very useful hobby, at least take the time out to make it to the range once a month or so. I barely do that and I haven't improved since I stopped going weekly.

Also I'd like to add to the discussion, I'm a strong believer in the 3 bases rule. Rifle, shotgun, handgun and you're set. What is a full power rifle cartridge that has the most balance of affordability, availability and lethality. I already know I'd love something like a Rem700 in .308 with some nice glass but would that be hard to come by? Would 30-06 be a better choice? .270?
Old 06-04-2009, 7:46 PM

Ahhh okay, guess I had the wrong idea then. If it's anything like keeping my golf game up to par then I'm screwed if I don't practice at least once a month . Maybe I'll just get chainmail and a sword to lop zombie heads off.
Old 06-04-2009, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1747 View Post
A .357 revolver and lever action rifle would work well, but I would suggest a Ruger PC rifle and a Ruger P95 pistol. Both use 9mm ammo and the same mags. You get more firepower and they're easier to reload.
WINNER!

Especially here in CA. If you want a little more punch go with the same set up in .40 Both the rifle and the pistol are built like tanks and will go the distance. You can then load up on one caliber and lots of magazines and be good to go. Add a good holster for your pistol and a good sling for your rifle and you are set.

PC 4 is easier to find these days but there is a PC 9 and a PC 4 on the forum right now. Idf they are not near you it is easy to ship longguns directly to your FFL. Pistols for either caliber are fairly easy to find and not very expensive. If you can find one with the factory installed ghost ring sights I prefer it greatly.

Last edited by EZ G; 06-04-2009 at 8:23 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
AK or SKS for rifle.
+1 for AK (saiga: 223, 7.62x39, 308) and glock (9mm or 45)
Old 06-04-2009, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamkl View Post
If we're talking about slow zombies though, I might be partial to a side by side 20 gauge.
Pshhhh...slow zombies. Only fat bubbas and mullet haired rednecks like slow zombies because its the only thing they can hit
Old 06-04-2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Ahhh okay, guess I had the wrong idea then. If it's anything like keeping my golf game up to par then I'm screwed if I don't practice at least once a month . Maybe I'll just get chainmail and a sword to lop zombie heads off.
Without any training or practice, I would recommend a hammer. Start with a ball peen, no sharp edges to hurt yourself. Claw hammer or ax would require some practice.

"please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242
Old 06-04-2009, 8:57 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

6.8spc AR and pistol of your choice. I'd say springfield because its what I have, but glock or any other reliable tupperware pistol will do.
Old 06-04-2009, 9:12 PM

if the zombies are slow, I'd even go with a 20gauge shotgun...I assume with endless hordes...I'm just going to get tooo damn tired with the 12 gauge.
my glock22 will hopefully work find with the right hollow points...if it don't kill them, maybe it'll at least knock em down.

if they are fast zombies...maybe just any .357mag or bigger caliber revolver to make it quick for me...
If they're the zombins from I am Legend, or Resident Evil birds and dogs, and things flying at me...I am pretty much done for I suppose
Old 06-04-2009, 9:19 PM

I've got to +1 the lever action 30-30 and a .357 revolver. 12ga pump would complete the set though. No brain operation, dependable, reliable and you should be covered in most situations. Stay away from optics since you wont be shooting often and if optics are off it would be more of a hinderance than help anyway. With those firearms you should be able to protect yourself upclose, far away (100-200 yards) and even put some food on the table.

2e 32 32 20 2e 33 38 30 20 2e 33 38 20 39 6d 6d 20 2e 34 34 20 2e 35 30 41 45 20 2e 32 32 33 20 35 2e 35 36 20 33 30 2d 33 30 20 2e 33 30 38 20 2e 35 30 44 54 43 20 32 32 2d 32 35 30 20 33 37 4d 4d 20 2e 34 35 41 43 50
Old 06-04-2009, 9:43 PM

AK for rifle, Glock for pistol, although my personal choice for pistol is a 1911.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 PM

Rem 870 with 00 and slugs.
Glock 9mm.

Both are cheap and reliable.

If you don't want to train, don't bother with any. You might want to hang on to your phones and make sure to have them all set with speed dial for 911.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
AK or SKS for rifle.
I don't like Glocks, but the combo is pretty dummy proof.
NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene
Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Gas piston AR/Springfield XD
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLITIAof1 View Post
Gas piston AR/Springfield XD
Kool-aid/Tang
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Another vote for AK/SKS and Glock combo...both with hi-capsof course!!!!!!! Add a 12GA pump gun with 00buck an your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw Mcgraw View Post
Another vote for AK/SKS and Glock combo...both with hi-capsof course!!!!!!! Add a 12GA pump gun with 00buck an your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those hi-caps are a great way to get free meals, too.

They'll be served in prison, but still, free is free, right?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:40 PM

Super soaker and safety goggles. An "untrained operator" (an oxymoron) would more likely do more harm to themselves if given a weapon.
Old 06-05-2009, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
what would be the best rifle and pistol combo for an untrained person.
NONE. Get training the second you get a gun, if not before if you can. I'd rather have no gun and no training then no training and a gun. No one should have a firearm IMHO without some semblance of firearm training.

Quote:
I'm not too worried about realistic home defense against robbers, etc cause I live in a nice neighborhood and I'm surrounded by MUCH nicer homes so they'd get robbed first
I've never robbed a house, but one might assume that if you were to pick a house to rob, the nice one in a neighborhood of REALLY nice ones might be a great target since there's less likelihood of a security system. Maybe that's not the way crooks think, but I wouldn't assume that you're ANY less likely to get robbed than your neighbor.

Consider this: in my area there have been a lot more home invasion robberies than there have been in the past (a lot less than most other areas, but more than in the past). This has been mostly caused by Humboldt County's image as a safe-haven for medical marijuana growers. A lot of these growers are flying under the radar and distributing their meds in a very traditional and clandestine "drug-deal" kind of way because the state and county don't really give guidelines for medical marijuana to be processed and distributed the same way as traditional medication (that is a discussion for another time). Recently, we had a high-speed chase that involved AK-47s and 14 lbs of pot. It was a deal gone bad, that started as a public exchange on a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood. Seriously. The sellers weren't even arrested, because supposedly selling 14 lbs of pot in a residential area to two known felons is considered therapeutic. Wuzza.

But I digress. The point is that two of the home invasions recently have been a result of mistaken identity. Twice now in the Eureka area armed men have kicked in the door of a house they believed to have pounds upon pounds of medical marijuana that they could steal- only to rob the wrong house! Threats of violence, death, torture- "WHERE'S THE POT???" "WHERE'S THE MONEY???" ...when the homeowner has NO idea what they're talking about.

Don't assume you wont be the target of a break-in just because your house isn't as fancy as your neighbors- that could be a really dangerous attitude. Random acts of violence are just that- random.
01001100 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101110 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110111 01101001 01101101 00100000 01001001 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101111 01110111 01101110 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100001 01110010 01101001 01111010 01101111 01101110 01100001 00100000 01100010 01100001 01111001 00101110

Old 06-05-2009, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We're not talking "untrained" here, we're talking someone who isn't dedicating time to being proficient.

There are millions of gun owners who are similar.

Is it ideal? Of course not, but at least he's taking the time to learn to use them 1st, before squirreling them away.

Now, I'm sorry, but as nice as a wheelgun is for typical home defense or carry, it's NOT a practical SHTF weapon. There's an EXCELLENT write-up from a gentleman in Argentina who discusses his experiences and observations in real-world SHTF situations. Find it - it's a great read. His summary is you want a pistol that you can carry all the time and will lay down lead like a mofo. This means, for us, semi-auto and big mags (his 1st choice would be a SMG or small FA pistol).

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 06-05-2009, 5:59 PM

SKS is not a bad otion. Really! It's reliable, effecient, and shoots straight. Stripper clips makes it decent for Zombies, and a baynet helps just in case.

For the pistol, a nice little 1911 .45 makes for a decent all around system.

Both of these weapons are min on maintance and +1 on the muscle memory if you have shot one before...

Good luck!
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 06-05-2009, 6:32 PM
CGN Contributor

Pandaren,

I'd suggest a lever action rifle (Like John Wayne.) and a double action revolver in the same caliber. I'd go with .357.

That way your pistol and rifle could use the same round.

A lever action rifle is light, accurate, fast shooting and they usually hold 10 or more rounds.

The double action pistol is dead simple and easy to learn how to use and very intuitive.

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's