Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

Default Falcon Menace Scopes

Who sells them? Online and local. Anyone know?

TIA!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Wonders Optics sales them:
http://www.sightwonders.com/wonders%20optics_013.htm

I would buy one from Optics Warehouse UK and save some money

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...escopic+Sights

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 06-04-2009 at 6:38 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 2:01 PM

The Wonder Optics Tactical (WOTac) is not a Falcon.

Falcons are a good price from RWSnyder
Old 06-04-2009, 3:31 PM

Quote:
The Wonder Optics Tactical (WOTac) is not a Falcon.
No $h!t!

Check the website link I provided before you type. They also sale Falcon scopes.

GC
Old 06-04-2009, 3:50 PM

Yes they do, and I did check your website link What was strange about this website link:
Quote:
Wonders Optics sales them:
http://www.sightwonders.com/wonderopticstactical.html
was that it linked to the WOTac and not the Falcon. The Menace and the WOTac are similar, but different scopes.
Old 06-04-2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
was that it linked to the WOTac and not the Falcon. The Menace and the WOTac are similar, but different scopes.

GC
Old 06-04-2009, 5:10 PM

Old 06-04-2009, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.sightwonders.com/wonders%20optics_013.htm

here is the edited link
Old 06-08-2009, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
I would buy one from Optics Warehouse UK and save some money

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...escopic+Sights

GC
+1 I ordered the 14-14x44mm FFP mil/mil on June 2nd and I got it June 8th!

Old 06-08-2009, 8:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
+1 I ordered the 14-14x44mm FFP mil/mil on June 2nd and I got it June 8th!
What did you pay for it, out the door?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

If you can live without the extended ML-16 type reticles or Mil/Mil setup, the FM Optics (Famous Maker) 4-14X44 Mil Spec scope is essentially identical to the Falcon FFP in terms of components and function. The only differences I have noticed are the substitution of a plain mil dot reticle, availability in 1/4 MOA adjustment only, and some slight differences in exterior markings (No directional arrows at the base of the turrets). The eyepiece of the Falcon seems to flair out a bit wider after the power adjustment ring as well. It's probably made from thicker aluminum as the Falcon logo is stamped into the metal rather than laser engraved like the FM Optics scope. For some reason, the side parallax knob adjusts in the opposite direction of the Falcon as well. Odd, but it it still functions well and operates smoothly.

-FFP function is the same.

-Internal travel of adjustments is the same (75 and 80 MOA on the two scopes I have)

-Clarity is hard to judge without having them side by side at the range, but the FM Optics scope is not lacking in the brightness or clarity department by any means.

-Eye relief also seems consistent between the two. The FM Optics scope has a little over 4 inches at 14X, and stays tunnel free out to over 10 inches at 4X.

Compare these to the pics of the Falcon Scope posted earlier:

Reticle FFP'ing (Pics are not representative of the actual clarity of the scope as the camera's auto focus has a hard time deciding what to focus on. It's also looking through two panes of dirty sliding glass door at an oblique angle...)
4X Magnification:

14X Magnification:

The bad part about these, is that you don't get any of the customer support that you would with a Falcon scope. As far as I can tell, Famous Maker offers exactly squat in this department. Also, resale value will be significantly lower for a scope branded with the dreaded "Famous Maker" logo should one choose to sell it later. For $155.00 though, I'm not overly concerned with resale value

To summarize: Those not particularly enamoured with the Falcon Optics unique reticles, Mil/Mil adjustment option, customer service, or resale value may be interested in the nearly identical Famous Maker scope which sells for less than half the price.....

Hmmm.... Reading back over that, it starts to sound like maybe not such a great deal after all.....

Link:
http://www.223cal.com/catalog.php?prod=FMT414
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Marcelo View Post
What did you pay for it, out the door?
It was $368.10 shipped, plus around $11 change in currency charge from my bank, Bank of America.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

FYI. Falcon scopes are only warranted thru the dealer you purchase from and the manufacturer is located in the UK. I have (had?) a Menace and it broke internally just trying to sight it in. I kept chasing the zero until some plastic piece got stuck to the lens (internally) and I could no longer get the shot back on paper. I'm still waiting for a warranty replacement 1.5 months later. The write-ups sound good, (except for the bells separating on the 6x24? scopes) but I've heard mixed reviews.

Linus, have you taken yours out yet? How do you like it so far? Where and what do you shoot?

Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 06-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Ask Linus for opinion
Old 08-11-2009, 4:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We're gonna start selling these and I am running a GB for them right now http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=210815
4-14x FFP at $325
5-25x 50 or 56 at $420
we pay the taxes. Please let me know if interested.

Frank
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM

FMJBT Question!

What do the turret clicks feel like on the FM scope, are they audible and sharp?

GC
Old 08-14-2009, 6:51 PM
Former Humboldtian
CGN Contributor

Location: IDAHO and another proud member of the quitters club!

For the money, are there any better options and how is the glass on these things. I've never seen one to be able to look through and compare it to others. How are they at their highest magnification. I figure I could buy a nice bushnell 3200 elite for the price, so what would be the benefit? Not trying to smack talk it, but what would make me want to buy this versus that?
Old 08-14-2009, 7:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
For the money, are there any better options and how is the glass on these things. I've never seen one to be able to look through and compare it to others. How are they at their highest magnification. I figure I could buy a nice bushnell 3200 elite for the price, so what would be the benefit? Not trying to smack talk it, but what would make me want to buy this versus that?
I had one that I sold. I now have a Vortex Viper (from Scott at Liberty).
The Viper has clearer glass, solid tactile/audible clicks, the knobs and hash marks line up, has a one piece tube, does not "haze" the edges at full mag., and is easily replaced/repaired by Vortex and/or Scott if ever needed. Scott claims to have never had one returned.

The Menace wasn't bad but, the Viper is better IMO. I bought mine from RWS as a demo unit. Robert is a great guy (built my rifle, too) and you should have no issue warranty wise if you buy from him.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:08 AM

The Vortex Viper is a well made scope and probably does have much better glass than the Falcon but it's a Second Focal Plain scope. There is nothing wrong with SFP scope because it fits the needs of most shooters.

The reason why many choose to go with the Falcon is because it's a good low cost entry level First Focal Plain scope. The reviews done on the Falcon scopes have been favorable. On a FFP scope the reticle gets larger as the image size increases. This can be seen in the Famous Maker scope pictures above. This makes it easier to do range estimations and hold overs because the values of the reticle don't change with magnification changes. On a SFP scope the values of the reticle are only true on a set magnification.

Those that are just going to be doing target shooting at set ranges don't need a FFP scope.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both FFP & SPF scopes but I won't go into them. There is plenty of info on the net on this topic.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 08-15-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Does Leupold make Vortex scopes because their sites are verrrry similar

Also I dont know what happened with Falcon their site has gone down. I think maybe they are redesigning
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
FMJBT Question!

What do the turret clicks feel like on the FM scope, are they audible and sharp?

GC
The adjustments are what I would call "acceptable" on the FM Optics scopes. Tactile feel is decent enough, but thick winter gloves will probably make it difficult to feel. Definitely not "mushy", but could use some improvement. They are pretty audible, I had no problem hearing the clicks out on the range while wearing hearing protection. The feel pretty solid overall, with very little backlash. The clicks line up nicely with the hash marks on the knobs as well. For the money, I'm having a hard time finding a fault with these scopes. I've gradually started replacing most of my long range optics with them, including my workhorse Bushnell 3200 10X mil dot scopes.
Old 09-01-2009, 9:46 PM
Banned

So wheres Scotty? Maybe he could give us his 2 cents between the Vortex Viper and the Falcon Menace.
Scotty, where you at brotha????