Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-03-2009, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Default AR10/AR15 - Are there any barrel breaks or flash hiders for non-threaded Bull Barrel?

I have an 18" Bull barrel DPMS upper that I want to throw a compensator or flash hider on. It is a non-threaded barrel. Are there any breaks that can clamp on to the end of the barrel? If so, who makes them?
Old 06-03-2009, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

I would be really hesitant to attach a compensator in that way... if it moves out of position and a firing bullet hits the compensator then you will have trouble...

There are smiths that will thread a bull barrel. That's the way I would go.
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 06-03-2009, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

Good point, I was thinking it might anchor to a hole that can be drilled in the top of the barrel with and alan bolt or something like that. I figured it would require some gunsmith work, or at least a drill press to attach it so it wouldn't come off. Regarding Threading the barrel, its got a target crown on it, so im not sure if this would be the best solution, as the barrel dips in towards the center when looking at the business end. I'm also afraid of problems with accuracy after the threading process.

My buddy and I both have AR-10s, his with a break, mine without. The difference between the two is pretty extreme, and I get a lot of barrel rise in comparison (His has a bull barrel as well)
Old 06-03-2009, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Why not just have the barrel threaded and then a brake attached the conventional way?
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 06-03-2009, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

just get your barrel threaded, save you lots of money and trouble in the future
Old 06-03-2009, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Good point, I was thinking it might anchor to a hole that can be drilled in the top of the barrel with and alan bolt or something like that. I figured it would require some gunsmith work, or at least a drill press to attach it so it wouldn't come off. Regarding Threading the barrel, its got a target crown on it, so im not sure if this would be the best solution, as the barrel dips in towards the center when looking at the business end. I'm also afraid of problems with accuracy after the threading process.

My buddy and I both have AR-10s, his with a break, mine without. The difference between the two is pretty extreme, and I get a lot of barrel rise in comparison (His has a bull barrel as well)
Any competent gunsmith will be able to thread the barrel for you and not affect the accuracy. Matter of fact, anyone that would touch one of my barrels would be able to put a better target crown than any factory barrel can have. The big name is ADCO if you want a national level company to do the work for you without being too expensive.
Old 06-03-2009, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfried View Post
The big name is ADCO if you want a national level company to do the work for you without being too expensive.
How much does something like that cost? I am definitely interested in doing this, just have no idea where to start looking for someone reputable to do it.
Old 06-08-2009, 3:17 PM

you can get the barrel threaded so you can add muzzle breaks and flash hiders or take a flash hider or muzzle brake to a gun smith and ask them to weld it onto your barrel
Old 06-11-2009, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have already ordered a PWS DTNC barrel break from Alamo tactical, and am talking to a number of people about getting the threading done.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM

I have gotten a lot of use/value out of a $59 drill press from Harborfreight Tools, both gun mod's and other projects around the house. Below pic has a bull barrel MB install that did not require threading. Took 5 minutes, drilled 3 detent holes about 1/8" deep and Locktited the allen screws. It has survived hundreds of rounds. Got it at the local gun show so don't recall the vendor. Has not affected barrel harmonics, still shoots 1 MOA. I put it on to reduce dust cloud that I got when shooting prone off the ground(dirt) with the bipod. Redirects blast dust to allow me to see impact.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Nice install +1 for doing it yourself! I know someone with a drill press but I would rather try it for the first time on someone elses rifle
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Nice install +1 for doing it yourself! I know someone with a drill press but I would rather try it for the first time on someone elses rifle
To thread the barrel on a AR10/AR15, you're going to need to remove the barrel from the upper receiver to thread it and then reinstall the barrel onto the upper receiver once you're done threading the barrel. It'll cost about $65-100 in tools to properly remove the barrel without damaging your AR. Just keep this in mind when you're ready to DIY thread your barrel.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 AM

You can use something like the link below but threading is still the better option. Ar15barrels is a frequent poster here and his shop is in So. Cal. You may want to pm him.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=635904
Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 AM

I'm going to send mine off and have it threaded, maybe even shortened from 24" to 20".