Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-02-2009, 2:41 PM

Default hammer for a colt python

I got a colt python 357 model 19 from my father in law. Serial #E9316. The hammer's broken so I went online and found a place that wanted over $200. for one. Is this a normal price or am I being reemed? It's a double action so I don't need the hammer to fire it and at those prices I sure won't be replacing it anytime soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06inferno View Post
I got a colt python 357 model 19 from my father in law. Serial #E9316. The hammer's broken so I went online and found a place that wanted over $200. for one. Is this a normal price or am I being reemed? It's a double action so I don't need the hammer to fire it and at those prices I sure won't be replacing it anytime soon.
$200 for a python hammer is ludicrous. You should be able to get them on GB for about $70 or less. Note that often hammer replacement is not a drop in operation, since you have to (at the very least) get the DA hammer strut letout set correctly. If you're around the bay area I could do that for you if you can't find a competent smith.

I'm not sure what you mean that it's a model 19? Pythons are I frames. I don't think they ever had such a model designation (this isn't a S&W is it?).
Old 06-02-2009, 3:10 PM

When you say hammer is broken, do you mean the hammer spur is broken off? Or do you mean it won't fire consistently? The latter can be for multiple reasons, most likely not involving the hammer.

If it's the former I'd be interested in buying the broken hammer off of you: I was going to make some DA only guns and would prefer to cut the spur off of a already messed up hammer.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009, 3:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Numrich Arms lists them at $175.00 and they're out of stock. The Python takes the same hammer as an old model Trooper, so when looking about you can open your horizons a bit. Wouldn't be suprised to find someone asking less for a Trooper hammer than a Python figuring it's just not as good, not knowing any better.

I hope you find one for a reasonable amount, but if Numrich is out and their price was that high, you might end up in the "just happy to find one" category and not be too focused on price.
Old 06-02-2009, 3:53 PM

I have to double check when I get home but the gun is a Colt Python but the paperwork in the box is for a S & W. I think the paperwork is from his original gun (he's retired sheriff), he was in the Marin County courthouse shootout way back when and his gun was confiscated and never returned. The dept. bought him the Python as a replacemment.
Old 06-02-2009, 4:47 PM

Numrich parts tend to be in poor condition; they are always a last resort.

I'd try gunbroker. Also I've had good luck with Poppert's: http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/

The top end for always excellent parts: http://www.jackfirstgun.com

These a few other suggestions for where else to look from dfariswheel.

http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

http://www.parts4guns.com/
(Click on Colt and WAIT).

http://armattweb.com/gunparts/

Good luck! And don't try to install the hammer yourself unless you know what you are doing.
Old 06-02-2009, 5:23 PM

I'm guessing it's the hammer spur, where you would pull down with your thumb
Old 06-02-2009, 6:01 PM
Jonathan Doe

I will look into the parts box and see if I have one laying around when I return to work on June 16th. What is your location?
Old 06-02-2009, 8:12 PM

north bay
Old 06-02-2009, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are a lot of broken ones out there. Going price is $150+ and needs to be fit.

Do you still have the broken piece?
Old 06-03-2009, 8:04 AM

Why not simply return to Colt for repair? They can even refinish and tighten it up and it will be original.
Old 06-03-2009, 8:46 AM

yes, it came with the broken piece lol
Old 06-03-2009, 8:46 AM

That's something I didn't think of..
Old 06-03-2009, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's something I didn't think of..
I did, welded the hammer spur back on mine. Looks fine.
Old 06-03-2009, 8:37 PM

Not sure where you guys buy your hammers, but here's one for $75.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=130678460

Since you're in the north bay if you get it I'd be happy to install. No pressure to donate the broken one
Old 06-03-2009, 8:51 PM

lol I'm leaning it towards sending it in and having Colt do it. I read it has a limited lifetime warranty and that has to be covered. Are you looking for the broken piece or the whole thing?
Old 06-03-2009, 8:57 PM

Quote:
lol I'm leaning it towards sending it in and having Colt do it. I read it has a limited lifetime warranty and that has to be covered. Are you looking for the broken piece or the whole thing?
You should call colt and verify that warrenty thing. I'd actually be a bit surprised (pleasantly). Their number is 800.962.2658 and they are three hours ahead of us.

Getting colt to do the work is a good idea. An hour of shop time is $85 and they can do a hell of a lot in an hour, union work rules notwithstanding. (Though it seems that their screw up rate is around 10% to 20% lately from the small sample I have.) If you do send it back, I'd highly recommend getting them to do an action job. You won't believe the difference it makes in the gun. Stock pythons are nice. Tuned pythons are sublime.

I was looking for the hammer rather than the broken piece. I was doing some double action only guns and wanted to avoid cutting the spur off of a good hammer.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-04-2009, 6:48 AM

I'll call Colt and see if it's covered. I'm also watching the auction link you sent me. If Colt does cover it and they do the work I'll ask for the broken hammer back. If they don't do the work I'll grab the one from the auction. either way I should be able to get you the hammer. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-04-2009, 7:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll call Colt and see if it's covered. I'm also watching the auction link you sent me. If Colt does cover it and they do the work I'll ask for the broken hammer back. If they don't do the work I'll grab the one from the auction. either way I should be able to get you the hammer. Thanks for all the info.
Don't forget to factor in shipping both ways if you go with Colt, and (most likely) gunsmith fitting if you get the part off GB.

I think shipping will run about $80.00 total.

The Python hammer on GB will certainly fit, but Colt's usually require a bit of fitting to ensure proper timing & lock up - especially getting the cylinder bolt to drop down & pop up on time with the hand moving the cylinder. If the hand moves the cylinder before the rebound bar pushes up on the dogleg of the cylinder bolt, the cylinder will be pushed against the bolt while it's still in place. You'll feel some hesitation if it's slight, definite resistance if it's significant. The Colt internals are very much interdependant, changing one part usually effects the function of another.

You could get lucky & the part function properly with no fitting. But since Pythons weer hand finished, just be prepared for some work to be done. Be certain whoever does the work knows what they're doing - you don't want them to file the heck out of the hand just to get the cylinder to turn, then end up with a lousy lock up. Maybe someone here can recommend a good gunsmith who's worked on Colt revolvers. I think there's a fellow posting some Colt Python work in the Gunsmithing section.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really curious about whether they do repairs that late.

If not I am just about to order two hammers so you can have one of those for cost if the GB one falls through.

I can put it in for you: *typically* doesn't take that long (just some polish and adjusting the hammer strut). Of course if there's another problem as well, they can interfere leading to more work.

Keep us updated!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
Don't forget to factor in shipping both ways if you go with Colt, and (most likely) gunsmith fitting if you get the part off GB.

I think shipping will run about $80.00 total.
Excellent point. Plus send the pistol yourself! Otherwise it has to go back to the originating FFL and they will have to do a DROS. (New rules. Stupid rules.) It'll also be a few months.

A good thing is that there is often something else wrong with old colts, so they can fix that too.

Quote:
The Python hammer on GB will certainly fit, but Colt's usually require a bit of fitting to ensure proper timing & lock up - especially getting the cylinder bolt to drop down & pop up on time with the hand moving the cylinder.
Yeah, definitely you can't expect to drop it in and have it "just work". But typically it's a matter of getting the hammer strut adjusted so the hammer drops in the same position in DA as in SA. (Of course, if you change one thing and then have to change 10 others it's not a huge surprise.)

Have you found any place where a new hammer had a noticable impact on bolt pickup? I've only seen that when some bubba filed down the toe of the hammer as his unique way of lowering the rebound lever. (He also filed down the underside of the trigger sear!)

Quote:
Maybe someone here can recommend a good gunsmith who's worked on Colt revolvers. I think there's a fellow posting some Colt Python work in the Gunsmithing section.
That'd be me

If he's going to mail it, Colt seems like a good choice. If he can drive down to LA there is a python smith there that I've seen recs for (Alan Tanaka) or if he can drive up to Jack Huntington I've seen recs for him too. (Though never used either.) If he's willing to mail and doesn't want to wait, Frank Glenn in AZ has fast turnaround and does great work. (He built Enos' revolvers and a bunch for Leatham.)

I can also fit it w/o too much trouble most likely.

Last edited by D.R.E.; 06-04-2009 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.E. View Post
Have you found any place where a new hammer had a noticable impact on bolt pickup? I've only seen that when some bubba filed down the toe of the hammer as his unique way of lowering the rebound lever. (He also filed down the underside of the trigger sear!)

That'd be me

I can also fit it w/o too much trouble most likely.
I haven't, but I'm only talented enough to risk minor fiddling with my own guns so I wouldn't say my experience is all that extensive. Replacing a tired hands on New Service and small parts on the other older Colts, smoothing is about as far as my abilities (and limitations) will take me. I thought mentioning the bolt was worthwhile, more theoretical than practical probably, because of the interaction between the trigger and hammer.

Last edited by dfletcher; 06-05-2009 at 11:05 AM..
Old 06-05-2009, 7:09 PM

I called Colt and said they would look at and see if it's covered under the warranty. I'm leaning towards sending it in.
Old 08-31-2013, 5:09 AM

I'm also in need of a Colt Python stainless steel hammer assembly. I dropped the revolver and the tang broke off the hammer. I didn't think to keep the tang to weld it back on. I live in South Africa so getting the thing will be a little complicated.
Old 08-31-2013, 5:16 AM

Quote:
I got a colt python 357 model 19

Sum Ting Wong.
Old 08-31-2013, 7:04 AM
CGN Contributor

Pythons are old so just send it in for repairs and pay the bill.

Make sure you have a Python though. It will be roll marked on the barrel.

Here I am.

WTB VW Dune Buggy, the metal flake fiberglass kind from the 60's