Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-06-2005, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

The dealers I've been to take the receipt and I can't return the lock to Walmart.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:42 PM

Hi guys, first post here. I saw someone mention this forum at Sigforum and stoped over.

I've got a question, though. I'm purchasing a Beretta 96 from an out of state FFL and have it all set up to come to a local FFL and am wondering what I need to do to comply with the gun lock law. I have an approved lock that came with a local P220 purchase. Can I just take that too me when I pick up the pistol? It doesn't say "CA Certified" on it anywhere, but I know it is...
Old 07-04-2005, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Hi guys, first post here. I saw someone mention this forum at Sigforum and stoped over.

I've got a question, though. I'm purchasing a Beretta 96 from an out of state FFL and have it all set up to come to a local FFL and am wondering what I need to do to comply with the gun lock law. I have an approved lock that came with a local P220 purchase. Can I just take that too me when I pick up the pistol? It doesn't say "CA Certified" on it anywhere, but I know it is...
If it is a new Beretta it should come with a lock (my 92 Brigadier did).
Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

I first bought an approved handgun safe, which I needed anyway, and sits by my bed. Once you have that, you can buy any handgun that will fit in it without an additional lock. Once I got my big safe, I quit collecting California approved gun locks.

You can also have a friend sell you an approved lock. It can even be one you gave them. The law doesn't specify whom you can buy it from, how much you pay, or whether it's new or used. You just have to have bought it within 30 days and have an original receipt with the model number of the lock on it.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/dwc.htm
12088.1.(e) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if all of the following apply:
(1) The purchaser or transferee purchases an approved safety device no more than 30 days prior to the day the purchaser or transferee takes possession of the firearm.
(2) The purchaser or transferee presents the approved safety device to the firearms dealer when picking up the firearm.
(3) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt to the firearms dealer which shows the date of purchase, the name, and the model number of the safety device.
(4) The firearms dealer verifies that the requirements in (1) to (3), inclusive, have been satisfied.
(5) The firearms dealer maintains a copy of the receipt along with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-07-2005, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
its not a new beretta.. law enforcement trade in 96D.
There are currently no "D" model Berettas on the approve list. Are you sure you can buy it from out of state?
Old 07-04-2005, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Technical Ted Walmart has a $4.95 model that is approved for use with rifles, shotguns and handguns.
I would go with that one, dealers tend to charge between $10-15 for crappy locks.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 PM

esskay - Which Turners do you go to? I was wondering if that is standard procedure for all Turners stores (your license address matching your proof of residency), because mine doesn't and I was interested in purchasing something from there.
Old 07-07-2005, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TBY:
esskay - Which Turners do you go to? I was wondering if that is standard procedure for all Turners stores (your license address matching your proof of residency), because mine doesn't and I was interested in purchasing something from there.
Heh, I've been to so many Turners, I can't remember which it was!

However, the solution is actually very easy. You just go down to the DMV, you shouldn't need an appointment, wait in the first line (which shouldn't be too long) and ask them for a change of address card. I did this, the line took about 10 minutes, and the lady up front had a pile of them behind her desk and just handed me a blank official brown change of address card "DL 43 (REV. 9/94)" I filled it in myself later. I had already submitted a change of address form for the DMV over a year previously, but they don't actually mail you a change of address card to carry around when you do that.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thumperfbc:
There are currently no "D" model Berettas on the approve list. Are you sure you can buy it from out of state? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmm, now that i look again, you are correct. I don't see the D either. I guess I better call the DOJ and verify. Thanks for the headsup.
Old 07-05-2005, 9:43 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you go out and buy an inexpensive gun locker (less than $100) or a safe of some kind, you can then sign the safe affidavit form and avoid having to stockpile a huge supply of gun locks to meet the letter of the law. This is assuming you don't end up returning the lock after you've satisfied the requirement, as some folks do.

Then, you can simply walk in with your safe form filled out, and a gun lock you already own (to satisfy legal transportation requirements) and you're all set.

Turby
Old 07-04-2005, 1:43 PM

IIRC from your SigForums post, the address printed on your CA Driver's License is not current. Make sure to check with your FFL how he will handle this. Some shops like Turners, in order to cover their butt, will require that you have an official change of address card from the DMV (not hard to get from your local DMV office). Others will know that a certain type of proof of residency is good enough.
Old 07-04-2005, 5:39 PM

and the address on my liscence is the same as my current legal address... same address on my car reigistration, which is the documentation I used for the sig 220 when I bought it a while back.

maybe the dealer has some cheap locks too, just to make things easier.
Old 07-12-2005, 5:59 PM

All certified gun locks that I have seen have been made in China, so when they invade us, they will be able to take all our guns.
Old 07-04-2005, 1:14 PM

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll call my local FFL tomorrow and see if a reciept of a recent purchase is acceptable. Thanks sir.