Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-21-2005, 4:05 AM

Hi All,

Great boards!

I am thinking about getting a FAB-10. Here are my concerns. I've heard it's cast and I'm concerned about it's durability in the pivot points and magazine lips from contant use. I plan to shoot it a lot. Will these pivot points and other features hold up? I've read people claiming it's not. How durable are these things? I don't want to spend $350 on a receiver which will wear out. Please share any thoughts you have on how well it's made and how durable for someone planning to shoot a lot.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Schizrade's right. Really the FAB10 is about your only choice right now. I have no idea about Vulcan's offering (and have doubts about Hesse quality) and the ESGW

The only reason folks liked forged vs cast AR15 receivers was appearance and it was possibly slightly easier to break some 'ears', etc. upon impact. Much of this was due to some low-end vendors (Oly and those who bought Oly's rejects) rushing preban product out the door w/o much QC, etc.

But there was really never any issue with wear at pivots!!

Most Rugers are made from investment-cast frames and they're REALLY STRONG ;-)

Your FAB10 lower could perhaps outlast you!

Get it and shoot it.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-21-2005, 9:51 PM

I've had mine (an early, double-digit S/N model) for over two years. I've had at least 2,000 rounds through the thing with three different uppers (Bushy, J&T and a no-name). At ten rounds per load, that's at least two hundred times I've had the rear pin pulled out and put back in.

The verdict? No problems so far. The initial 'pain' of paying more than your neighbors in the free states will soon be forgotten. I haven't thought about it in about ... two years. Think about it, I could have deliberated about the extra dollars for that two years but instead I just bought one and enjoyed it.

I might buy the SU-16 too, but for the moment, the FAB-10 is good enough for range duty.

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM

I have put maybe 1500 rounds on mine. The only problem I had was when I broke the charging handle. But the receiver itself.........no problems at all.
Old 02-21-2005, 2:32 PM

God, more FUD.

I have had one since August, and have put around 3500 rounds through it. Not a single problem with pivot point wear. The magazine lips are 100% showing no wear. Finish is still 100%. All the parts are still nice and snug. Nothing beyond the sling swivel and the telescoping stock rattles.

I swear people who have never touched one make this crap up 'cause they are angry at life and bent on making everybody else miserable.

http://www.schizrade.com -- my rantings.
Old 02-23-2005, 2:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by slipjoint:
...had at least 2000 rounds through the thing with three different uppers... At ten rounds per load, that's at least two hundred times I've had the rear pin pulled out and put back in.
I suppose you could fashion a soft brass rear takedown pin - that way the brass should wear before the holes in the lower receiver given relative hardness!

Quote:
zyl8tr wrote:
...only problem I had was when I broke the charging handle. But the receiver itself... problems at all
Broken charging handles don't affect FAB10's reputation. They do happen. I somehow had cracking in a Colt charging handle, and lost the latch system on another (Bushy) chg. handle.
Neither gun/upper was abused or used excessively, and just factory loads used.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.