Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-29-2009, 9:40 PM

Default USBP in San Clemente? Anyone has any info?

Hey guys, I've been offered and seriously considering a position with the US Border Patrol at their San Clement Station. I'm a prior BPA having been stationed in Tucson for a short period before I left the BP to pursue another G-job. I am now deciding between the BP and another agency with a location in Houston, TX.

I've driven by the checkpoint at San Onofre hundreds of times and seen the BP vehicles but never knew they had station there.

Has anyone worked there, interact with or been TDY to this station? If so, any information about their work duties would be greatly appreciated. Checkpoint operations is what I see as their primary duties but beyond that I do not know much else.
Old 06-07-2009, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfried View Post
Hey guys, I've been offered and seriously considering a position with the US Border Patrol at their San Clement Station. I'm a prior BPA having been stationed in Tucson for a short period before I left the BP to pursue another G-job. I am now deciding between the BP and another agency with a location in Houston, TX.

I've driven by the checkpoint at San Onofre hundreds of times and seen the BP vehicles but never knew they had station there.

Has anyone worked there, interact with or been TDY to this station? If so, any information about their work duties would be greatly appreciated. Checkpoint operations is what I see as their primary duties but beyond that I do not know much else.

90% Check Point. Still a good station, wish I had it.
Old 06-07-2009, 8:49 PM

Not a bad station; they are really beefing it up so they are havinga full staff. I have interected with them lately, and they have a pretty good station now. They have a new pursuit policy, so the old policy of 10-3 the pursuits by the Sups is now gone!! They have been doing a lot of FTY's and have been able to keep the pursuit going. You can live in the OC and not have to have a crappy commute.

If you want a lower cost of living and the highest COLA in the nation, take the job in Houston. A lot of people would kill to have that AOR.
Old 06-07-2009, 9:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. That's what I've been seeing from the BP forum I posted on, 90% checkpoint.

I have quite a few family members in Houston and have visited several times in the past year. I was all ready to move there exactly for the higher locality pay and houses cheaper than you can buy trailers here. That said the area have gone downhill FAST in the past 3 years. I've visited twice during the past 6 months and it have lost most of it luster that I was 3 years ago, mostly pre-Katrina. Still I was all set and ready to move out there in August.

But getting offered San Clemente by BP have thrown a curve ball in all of my plans. I hate to say it but it's darn nice down there in Sac Clemente, far enough to be away from the hectic pace of the OC yet close enough to still be convenient. That and the very persistent fact that OBP is looking at journeyman GS-12's for BPA in the next few years and it's very enticing.

It's such a hard choice, the Houston gig would pay more and has more room for advancement but I am looking at a desk jockey job. BP location in San Clemente is probably hands down the best place I could imagine to be a BPA along with the more action oriented (well at least your tied to a moving desk) duties that I will enjoy more. As of right now I have decided to go with BP, the other gig will have to make me a stellar offer to peel me away from the green uniform and San Clemente.
Old 06-11-2009, 6:39 PM

Default San Clemente

I am a bit of an old timer but here's my opinion...

California is flat expensive. You will either have the option of living in San Clemente which is the closest town in Orange County but pricey. Or you can travel south to Oceanside whcih is San Diego County. I did both. I ended up in Oceanside because it was a small bit cheaper but the drive was twice that of San Clemente. Either way it is expensive. You will have to accept that housing is expensive partially because of the Marine Corps. I don't mean that in a bad way it just is the reality of the housing availability.

If you have kids you need to think about the schools as well. Personally I would rather have my kids in and Orange County School over a San Diego school. That's just a personal opinion...

The checkpoint can be busy or slow. If they keep the checkpoint up on a weekend it can be a madhouse...lots of work. Other times slow. At least during the summer months the "view" is very nice. (((think beaches and Ca girls) Be careful of the drunks blasting the checkpoint...it happens. Luckily the guys managed to dodge them when I was there. My experience was limited to Chula Sector a long time ago but I enjoyed the checkpoint much more than line watch.

Best of luck!

JM
USBP Class 136

101st Airborne/Infantry
Class of '75